Singapore Expats

How to Edit DVD Movie/Video?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

How to Edit DVD Movie/Video?

Post by martincymru » Tue, 27 Jun 2017 8:31 am

Old cine film (from 1950's) now converted to DVD. It is one hour long; I want to cut out some boring sections (reduce to say 30 mins).

Anyone recommend free software?

Ideally, since this is a one off and I am too lazy/busy to learn the software...... Anyone care to help me to do this for nominal charge?

x9200

Re: How to Edit DVD Movie/Video?

Post by x9200 » Tue, 27 Jun 2017 9:19 am

martincymru wrote:Old cine film (from 1950's) now converted to DVD. It is one hour long; I want to cut out some boring sections (reduce to say 30 mins).

Ideally, since this is a one off and I am too lazy/busy to learn the software...... Anyone care to help me to do this for nominal charge?
Is it a DVD with a menu or it just starts to play once you slot it in and stops after the whole content is played?

Andyb431

Post by Andyb431 » Tue, 27 Jun 2017 4:31 pm

Hey Martin. If you have a video file and an idea of what you want to cut out, I'd be happy to do it for that nominal fee you mentioned. Give me a PM and we can discuss further!

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 27 Jun 2017 8:02 pm

martincymru wrote:Old cine film (from 1950's) now converted to DVD. It is one hour long; I want to cut out some boring sections (reduce to say 30 mins).

Microsoft Movie Maker. Needs lot of RAM though.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Jun 2017 9:28 pm

You will be less than impressed with the video quality when done. I've tried a number of video converters to move DVD's to a streaming format to use with Plex (which doesn't support DVD format). The results were always disappointing no matter the software used or the settings.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 28 Jun 2017 6:05 am

Strong Eagle wrote:You will be less than impressed with the video quality when done. I've tried a number of video converters to move DVD's to a streaming format to use with Plex (which doesn't support DVD format). The results were always disappointing no matter the software used or the settings.
If he just wants to cut off some sections there will be no need to use any video re-encoding/transcoding and the resulting quality will be exactly as of the original.

Media streaming software like Plex typically do not support disc images but surely they support mpeg2 decoding of the DVD elemental streams. It's just a matter of copying them into a file like mpg. VOBs (standard media container files for the DVD) from the DVD disc or image needs to be copied and later extracted/(de)multiplexed. No transcoding and the quality stays the same.
This is a good and inexpensive software that can do it:
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr5.html
But there are also some free available like makemkv or ffmpeg (avconv).

Even for transcodding/reencoding there is generally no problem to convert DVD video files to any other standard encoding formats like h.263, h.264, h.265 (hevc) and have a good resulting quality. There is only one exception for this: the frame rate has to stay the same.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Wed, 28 Jun 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks for all the replies to my post.

The file name is
Video Files from the Home Movie DVD.mp4

To answer one query: I just open the file and it plays (Windows Media Player).

700 meg, run time 52 mins.

I only really need to play in my laptop/PC but if I pass to someone to play in a TV I would need to convert to what format? (I am non techy, don't even have a TV).

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 28 Jun 2017 4:14 pm

martincymru wrote:Thanks for all the replies to my post.

The file name is
Video Files from the Home Movie DVD.mp4

To answer one query: I just open the file and it plays (Windows Media Player).

700 meg, run time 52 mins.

I only really need to play in my laptop/PC but if I pass to someone to play in a TV I would need to convert to what format? (I am non techy, don't even have a TV).
If this is a single file with the mp4 extension then try this one:
https://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/d ... eo-Dub.htm

Disclaimer: I have never used it (well, judging from the link name I occasionally used one of its earlier versions), but looks like something fitting your needs.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 04 Jul 2017 2:25 pm

VLC player. free. recommended.

drop the video file into the player.

figure out the parts (hh.mm.ss) you want to keep.

press stop (to stop playing the video).

press the RECORD button.

press play.

pause as required (to FF to where you want to continue, and resume recording).

when you have finished, save as new video file.

you may need to do a few settings before you start recording (eg, output, audio).

i don't think you can get simpler than that. i've used it once or twice myself. works good.

but i wasn't fussy about quality because the original video files were not of high quality, but i suspect VLC records in the quality that you set it to.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam