Singapore Expats

What are my chances of getting a job in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Edgar P

Re: What are my chances of getting a job in Singapore?

Post by Edgar P » Thu, 29 Jun 2017 10:21 pm

Well, just a couple words from me...

After my graduation, I was working for 3 years in a recognised UK institution and my wife was offered to transfer to Singapore.

As we thought, to find a job in Asia will be not as hard than in the UK, but we were totally wrong.

My idea was to get recognised qualification, arm my previous experience and land a perfect job with some big MNC (as I already knew how companies are pushed against foreigners).

The reality is - I cannot get any job for 4 months now, applying all day every day.

I changed my CV numerous times using totally different strategies. At one point I gave up and started my hunt in my previous field - where I know I would get hired quickly in London with my experience. Guess what happened? ;)

So from my point of you, as was suggested, get a job in MNC in your country and just try to transfer. Another advice could be to apply for the jobs from your home country but I doubt they will respond.

Think, are your experiences and qualifications much better from the locals? How? Why? Be presentable, and forget about junior positions - they are for locals only. Thus, you CV should shine and be outstanding.

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Fri, 30 Jun 2017 1:55 pm

To the OP. As you obviously think of your self as an elite recruit, remember that half of your counterparts in Singapore will have gone through NS and, at a very young age, led other men. A bit different from organising parties for college societies.

And 18 months of running gantt charts and sending out co-ordination emails/ meetings as a project officer, while a really useful training & skill, really isn't going to get you very far in looking for jobs in Singapore. Its a 'plumbing' type role, necessary but unglamorous, and local firms here will just give it to the best organised of their local recruits. No need foreign talent.

As others say, your best bet is to join another pharm/ fmcg in your home market, then apply for vacancies as/ when they arise in Singapore.

(if you are all that you say you are, then apply for management consulting. I too was an arrogant graduate many years ago, I lasted 3 months at a famous FMCG, before 'mutually agreeeing it wasn't right for me'. I went into strategy consulting (grunt level) for 2 years, where being a confident know-it-all was an asset, not a liability)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 30 Jun 2017 9:38 pm

okonu wrote:(if you are all that you say you are, then apply for management consulting. I too was an arrogant graduate many years ago, I lasted 3 months at a famous FMCG, before 'mutually agreeeing it wasn't right for me'. I went into strategy consulting (grunt level) for 2 years, where being a confident know-it-all was an asset, not a liability)
I love this. To quote an old friend who used to consult with Ross Perot's EDS, "We get the job done on time and under budget whether it works or not." I've seen some really good tech consultants and I've seen highly paid consultants that couldn't manage to find the door to their cubicle.

meenq

Post by meenq » Fri, 30 Jun 2017 10:27 pm

hey guys. thanks for the advice. As you previously mentioned, it makes a lot more sense to join a company and then ask for transfer as for my experience and position, locally they should be able to hire and won't need to go abroad. I'm really glad that I got such feedback, thanks again!