Singapore Expats

What are my chances of getting a job in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
meenq

What are my chances of getting a job in Singapore?

Post by meenq » Fri, 23 Jun 2017 8:15 pm

Hey guys, meenq here.

So, little background. I'm 25 years old and I've just lost my job at a big FMCG company, where I was for 1.5 years. I really want to take a big leap of faith and go abroad (I'm living in Europe at the moment) and Singapore is becoming my 1st priority because it has a lot of Biotech/Pharma companies. Realistically, with my background on Biotech (Masters) + my experience on a big FMCG company as a junior project manager, what are my chances of starting a new life in Singapore - from all aspects, not only job wise, visa wise and what not?

Why or Why not should I do it/not do it?

Thanks guys for the feedback!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: What are my chances of getting a job in Singapore?

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 23 Jun 2017 9:51 pm

100% failure if you don't even try...against these odds, anything is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

meenq

Post by meenq » Fri, 23 Jun 2017 10:09 pm

I have been trying a lot, but still nothing. I mean, how hard is it, thats what I meant :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 24 Jun 2017 6:08 am

meenq wrote:Hey guys, meenq here.

So, little background. I'm 25 years old and I've just lost my job at a big FMCG company, where I was for 1.5 years. I really want to take a big leap of faith and go abroad (I'm living in Europe at the moment) and Singapore is becoming my 1st priority because it has a lot of Biotech/Pharma companies. Realistically, with my background on Biotech (Masters) + my experience on a big FMCG company as a junior project manager, what are my chances of starting a new life in Singapore - from all aspects, not only job wise, visa wise and what not?

Why or Why not should I do it/not do it?

Thanks guys for the feedback!
You need to ask yourself this question: what is it I could offer what is not already available on the local job market in Singapore? You have no substantial experience and your job profile suggests (please prove me wrong), there will be thousands of locals capable and educated for such jobs.

Besides, If I were an employer, it would look strange to me to change the first job after just 1.5y in a big company (assuming this was a technical job and not an ordinary clerk job). What could you learn as a project manager in an MNC in just 1.5y and why it was 1.5y only?

meenq

Post by meenq » Sat, 24 Jun 2017 6:34 am

Hey man. Thanks for the input.
So what I can offer that is not on the local market, and that is for sure, is my mentality and soft skills. Technically, everyone can be raised and taught to a certain degree, either be it bachelors, masters, whatever. However, I was always involved in extra activities such as leading teams and creating space for my colleagues to develop at college. Moreover, while I was on PMI ( that is the big company I was at ) I was responsible for all the new product launches at the factory, so I was responsible for about 200 product launches for all over the world and more or less 80 projects rolling simultaneously. So I've pretty much learnt a lot about Operations/Supply Chain/Marketing & Product Development. The reason I stayed only for 1.5 years is simple: My new boss didn't like me and didn't renew my fixed term contract (I was even promoted while I had my old boss). Life is trash indeed, but we have to keep on going.

EDIT: If there are doubts about this, I can share the reference letter of now Manager Product Monitoring.

Hope this clarifies a bit!

Thanks
Last edited by meenq on Sat, 24 Jun 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

meenq

Post by meenq » Sat, 24 Jun 2017 6:35 am

double post, sorry

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 24 Jun 2017 7:09 am

Regardless of your qualifications and experience, you have two things going against you... your age and the fact that you have no idea of how to operate in Asia. You will probably want more money than the average local as well.

You exhibit a measure of hubris when you state that your "mentality and soft skills" is not on the local market (sic). You might find yourself metaphorically getting your ass kicked as you try to work with an entirely different approach to business and decision making in Asia and in Singapore. Unlike old guys like me, who are at least accorded some respect as an "uncle" or "Sensei", you are a youngster. You will be resented by the local population of youngsters, coming in a stealing their job, no matter how full of crap that attitude is. And the older Asians will not pay you much accord because you will be viewed as wet behind the ears, professionally and culturally. High probability that you will get shut out.

There are certainly jobs available in supply chain management, and I'm not saying that you can't get a job here. But, recognize that the MNC's here are under a lot of pressure to hire locally. They have to advertise on citizens only job boards. They have a much harder time justifying hiring foreigners. They have been cut off from the body shops.

If you want to work in Singapore, I judge that your best bet is to find a job with a MNC and after a period of time, request a transfer. All of the younger people I met in Singapore were transferred in by the company they were working for. If you consider it from a MNC's perspective this makes sense... they bring in relatively known talent to fill a positional need. You? You're an unknown. Why would they hire you out of the blue (never mind that you're not in Singapore) with all the hassle entailed in getting you an EP when the fact is that internal transfers rarely have an EP issue.

Good luck.

meenq

Post by meenq » Sat, 24 Jun 2017 7:15 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Regardless of your qualifications and experience, you have two things going against you... your age and the fact that you have no idea of how to operate in Asia. You will probably want more money than the average local as well.

You exhibit a measure of hubris when you state that your "mentality and soft skills" is not on the local market (sic). You might find yourself metaphorically getting your ass kicked as you try to work with an entirely different approach to business and decision making in Asia and in Singapore. Unlike old guys like me, who are at least accorded some respect as an "uncle" or "Sensei", you are a youngster. You will be resented by the local population of youngsters, coming in a stealing their job, no matter how full of crap that attitude is. And the older Asians will not pay you much accord because you will be viewed as wet behind the ears, professionally and culturally. High probability that you will get shut out.

There are certainly jobs available in supply chain management, and I'm not saying that you can't get a job here. But, recognize that the MNC's here are under a lot of pressure to hire locally. They have to advertise on citizens only job boards. They have a much harder time justifying hiring foreigners. They have been cut off from the body shops.

If you want to work in Singapore, I judge that your best bet is to find a job with a MNC and after a period of time, request a transfer. All of the younger people I met in Singapore were transferred in by the company they were working for.

Good luck.
Hello Strong Eagle.

Thank you for the very important feedback. This was the kind of feedback that I was looking for. Culturally I don't think I stand a chance because of the facts that you just listed. I think that is hard to find such a young guy like me with my experience (even if it's pretty much 1.5 years) and with the thrive I have to find a good job for myself. Although I think I'm perfectly suited to go to another big MNC, like you said, I don't feel that I have the patience to go through that kind of attitude from the locals. I don't agree with the attitude but I fully respect it and understand it.

Thanks for the input.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 24 Jun 2017 6:24 pm

meenq wrote: Hello Strong Eagle.

Thank you for the very important feedback. This was the kind of feedback that I was looking for. Culturally I don't think I stand a chance because of the facts that you just listed. I think that is hard to find such a young guy like me with my experience (even if it's pretty much 1.5 years) and with the thrive I have to find a good job for myself. Although I think I'm perfectly suited to go to another big MNC, like you said, I don't feel that I have the patience to go through that kind of attitude from the locals. I don't agree with the attitude but I fully respect it and understand it.

Thanks for the input.
except a few rare companies, the ability to work with other cultures is extremely important...

It's not like you need to be a yes man, but challenging everything doesn't end well, unless you have a dozen years experience to back it up.

I don't quite agree with the seeming local resentment, as my last two places were start ups, with a large foreign presence - none of the locals seemed irked by it.

meenq

Post by meenq » Sat, 24 Jun 2017 6:32 pm

ecureilx wrote:
meenq wrote: Hello Strong Eagle.

Thanks for the input.
except a few rare companies, the ability to work with other cultures is extremely important...

It's not like you need to be a yes man, but challenging everything doesn't end well, unless you have a dozen years experience to back it up.

I don't quite agree with the seeming local resentment, as my last two places were start ups, with a large foreign presence - none of the locals seemed irked by it.

Like me, were you applying from a Foreign country? From which age did you start in Singapore? Starting on a Startup would be the perfect experience! Is there any platform where the se vacancies might be available?

Thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 24 Jun 2017 8:36 pm

meenq wrote: Like me, were you applying from a Foreign country? From which age did you start in Singapore? Starting on a Startup would be the perfect experience! Is there any platform where the se vacancies might be available?

Thanks
my experience don't matter.

Ever use Google ? There's a site for start up jobs. Isn't hard to find that out.

Plus most who got in were head.hunted due to their active involvement in high visibility projects or via LinkedIn.

Do some leg work.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 24 Jun 2017 10:59 pm

meenq wrote:I don't feel that I have the patience to go through that kind of attitude from the locals. I don't agree with the attitude but I fully respect it and understand it.

Thanks for the input.
To live and work successfully in Asia requires a shift to the cultural norms of the region... if you can't do that, then you shouldn't consider a move. Consensus versus confrontation. Indirect assessment of responsibility to keep people from losing face.

I will say that Singaporean managers who have worked in the USA, Oz, or Europe tend to come back wishing that things could be more direct.

The key, though, is your flexibility. I knew an American fellow who used to get raving mad every time he went out in Saigon... he'd scream at the traffic and pound on car hoods... but that's just the way it is.

I'm not saying that valuable ideas generated from a hotshot aren't wanted, it's just that you must introduce them in ways that are probably foreign to you.

Good luck.

meenq

Post by meenq » Sat, 24 Jun 2017 11:18 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
meenq wrote:I don't feel that I have the patience to go through that kind of attitude from the locals. I don't agree with the attitude but I fully respect it and understand it.

Thanks for the input.
To live and work successfully in Asia requires a shift to the cultural norms of the region... if you can't do that, then you shouldn't consider a move. Consensus versus confrontation. Indirect assessment of responsibility to keep people from losing face.

I will say that Singaporean managers who have worked in the USA, Oz, or Europe tend to come back wishing that things could be more direct.

The key, though, is your flexibility. I knew an American fellow who used to get raving mad every time he went out in Saigon... he'd scream at the traffic and pound on car hoods... but that's just the way it is.

I'm not saying that valuable ideas generated from a hotshot aren't wanted, it's just that you must introduce them in ways that are probably foreign to you.

Good luck.
Please dont get me wrong. Im very open minded and I believe that decisions should come out of consensus and not fights or conflit. And Im perfectly fine in Changing my behavior in order to meet the cultural nerds and costumes. However, what Im not ready for is that people just straight shut me out without giving me a chance to even try. And that was the idea I got out of your first point. Thats why I replied the way I replied.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 25 Jun 2017 8:51 am

Most Western culture people that managed to get their foot in the MoM guarded door won't have problems to adapt to the cultural conditions at the management interaction levels. The same people very often will never adapt to the every day cultural annoyances (traffic, service quality etc. etc.), but I think the main problem for the OP is to get a pass and earlier a job.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 25 Jun 2017 3:03 pm

meenq wrote: However, what Im not ready for is that people just straight shut me out without giving me a chance to even try. And that was the idea I got out of your first point. Thats why I replied the way I replied.
well, let me put it this way, why should anybody owe you a chance ? ;)

Singapore is competitive, at times too competitive in some sectors / companies, and along with the fact that hundreds if not more are willing to fill your spot means you gotta be prepared for tough competition !

PS, I used to work for a boss who often said 'you wanna try ? Try in somebody else' company. You wanna think ? Go back to university to think ... " I know he used to demand results.