Singapore Expats Forum

Getting a teaching job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

bau

Getting a teaching job

Postby bau » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 8:03 pm

Hi all,

I've been offered a job in Singapore, and my girlfriend – a teacher - is considering joining me. We'd like to know more about her prospects of getting a job as a teacher. She has an undergraduate diploma and three years of experience teaching elementary school at a private school in Washington DC.

- Is it too late to land a job for the upcoming school year?
- Does she have the requisite experience to land a job at a school in Singapore?
- What are some good teaching-related jobs she could consider as a backup if she's unable to land a job for the upcoming school year?
- Are there any particular online job boards or resources she should be looking at?

Many thanks!

bau

Re: Getting a teaching job

Postby bau » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 10:07 pm

Oh and we are both US citizens. Thanks again!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 6:56 am

bau wrote:Hi all,

I've been offered a job in Singapore, and my girlfriend – a teacher - is considering joining me. We'd like to know more about her prospects of getting a job as a teacher. She has an undergraduate diploma and three years of experience teaching elementary school at a private school in Washington DC.

- Does she have the requisite experience to land a job at a school in Singapore?
- What are some good teaching-related jobs she could consider as a backup if she's unable to land a job for the upcoming school year?
- Are there any particular online job boards or resources she should be looking at?

Many thanks!

What will her pass be ?

bau

Postby bau » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 7:08 am

ecureilx wrote:
bau wrote:Hi all,

Many thanks!

What will her pass be ?

Not sure yet

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 9:10 am

bau wrote:Not sure yet

You need to focus on that first.

If you can get a DP or something, the opportunities are lot.

If she has to qualify for an EP on her own self, it may be an uphill fight.

bau

Postby bau » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 9:58 am

ecureilx wrote:

Good to know – thanks ecureilx! I will look into whether we can get her a Long Term Visit Pass. I don't think we'd qualify for the DP since we aren't official married.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 22 Jun 2017 1:14 am

ecureilx wrote:

I disagree - my wife is a teacher in Singapore on an EP of her own - she found her job in Singapore. Plenty of schools are happy to hire trailing spouses/partners but they won't pay accomodation or leave allowances / fares.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 22 Jun 2017 7:41 am

PNGMK wrote:I disagree - my wife is a teacher in Singapore on an EP of her own - she found her job in Singapore. Plenty of schools are happy to hire trailing spouses/partners but they won't pay accomodation or leave allowances / fares.

+1

bau

Postby bau » Sat, 26 Aug 2017 6:38 am

Hey everyone,

I wanted to refresh this thread with a couple of followup questions, as we've book our tickets and will be arriving in Singapore soon! Also, the girlfriend I mentioned earlier is now my fiancée :D

- Jen has a bachelor's degree and 3 years of teaching experience, but she doesn't have a teaching credential or certificate. Will that make it difficult for her to find a teaching job?

- How should she go about finding a teaching job? She's particularly interested in International Schools. Is there any particular website or recruiter she should use?

Many thanks!
Nick

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Sat, 26 Aug 2017 9:27 am

bau wrote:Hey everyone,

I wanted to refresh this thread with a couple of followup questions, as we've book our tickets and will be arriving in Singapore soon! Also, the girlfriend I mentioned earlier is now my fiancée :D

- Jen has a bachelor's degree and 3 years of teaching experience, but she doesn't have a teaching credential or certificate. Will that make it difficult for her to find a teaching job?

- How should she go about finding a teaching job? She's particularly interested in International Schools. Is there any particular website or recruiter she should use?

Many thanks!
Nick

Every International School here has a careers section on their website. They are also usually keen for substitute teachers. Also ISS (International School Search) run a careers fair out this way.

I would recommend you search on Singapore American School, OFS, ICS and possibly some others as they will have last minute placement issues. I'm sure you aware school has already started.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!