Singapore Expats

UK BENEFITS SYSTEM

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

UK BENEFITS SYSTEM

Post by martincymru » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 1:06 am

I, Daniel Blake / director Ken Loach.

For those of you remotely interested in seeing what life is really like for a significant minority in the UK.

I watched it yesterday on the plane back from the UK.

I visited my home town past couple weeks. It now has 22% unemployment so this moving film is particularly poignant for me.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: UK BENEFITS SYSTEM

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 3:05 pm

martincymru wrote:I, Daniel Blake / director Ken Loach.

For those of you remotely interested in seeing what life is really like for a significant minority in the UK.

I watched it yesterday on the plane back from the UK.

I visited my home town past couple weeks. It now has 22% unemployment so this moving film is particularly poignant for me.
You mean to say its not all biscuits and gravy on benefits ......... Free House , Free food , free booze , free cigarettes and business class travel to where ever you want in the world!!

Who would have thought it!!!

Still Daily Mail / Daily Express readers like to believe its so.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

threse

Post by threse » Sat, 22 Jul 2017 9:26 pm

Unfortunately, the social politics kills UK from the inside... Most part of migrants functions in the society with the help of the government's money. It makes people get laziest and laziest. Working? Why when you can live on the medium lvl without any effort.
To want to, is to be able to.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 22 Jul 2017 11:16 pm

threse wrote:Unfortunately, the social politics kills UK from the inside... Most part of migrants functions in the society with the help of the government's money. It makes people get laziest and laziest. Working? Why when you can live on the medium lvl without any effort.
Are you serious, about migrants ?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 22 Jul 2017 11:23 pm

threse wrote:Unfortunately, the social politics kills UK from the inside... Most part of migrants functions in the society with the help of the government's money. It makes people get laziest and laziest. Working? Why when you can live on the medium lvl without any effort.
That's downright bigoted and racist. And considering that you are posting from Poland...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 23 Jul 2017 2:28 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: That's downright bigoted and racist. And considering that you are posting from Poland...
And not funny since Polish migrants are considered the most hard working in UK.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 23 Jul 2017 3:53 pm

The irony is when s/he says "migrants" s/he most likely thinks the Muslim migrants, but for the same statement coming from the bigoted and racist native white British counterparts, they would mean most often Polish migrants.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 10:08 am

Martin - can you post the link or movie name again?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 10:42 am

PNGMK wrote:Martin - can you post the link or movie name again?
viewtopic.php?p=773215#p773215 :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

casey5047

Post by casey5047 » Sat, 02 Sep 2017 10:41 pm

Funnily enough, I watched this for the first time last week - also on a plane - and was very disappointed by it, based on the director (whom I like) and its Cannes win.

Many scenes had such bizarrely stilted dialogue that they seemed like scenes from workplace instructional videos. There were clichéd characters like the clear-sighted 'child philosopher,' who oddly was the only character who spoke in received pronunciation, not with a Geordie accent (perhaps Loach isn't as unprejudiced as we think).

I do think there was a good film in there, somewhere, mainly centering on Daniel Blake. I did think it was irksome that the viewer was expected to uncritically sympathise with Katie's situation, and never consider that it was at least debatable as to whether the state should pay for accommodation in London, and the associated living costs, for a jobless woman who has two children to two different men.

Luckily there's always Kes. I watched Moonlight on the return flight and that was exceptionally brilliant too.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 11:16 am

Yes, the film "Kes' in my top 20 of all time.