Singapore Expats Forum

GP careers in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

smalik
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 19 Jun 2017

GP careers in Singapore

Postby smalik » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 3:53 pm

Hello all

My wife and I are considering a move to SG as I have a job offer from a firm. My wife is a GP here in London, and we were wondering what job prospects were like for GPs in Singapore.

Our limited research indicates that she will likely have to find work in a govt hospital for 18 months. We have also been told that the pay isn't all that, and certainly much less than the UK.

Would be really grateful for a chat with any GPs who've moved out there. Happy to converse on the forum, email, WhatsApp, phone etc!

Many thanks!

BBCDoc
Regular
Regular
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010
Location: Singapore

Re: GP careers in Singapore

Postby BBCDoc » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 6:37 pm

Must your Wife work in a hospital? There are options in Medical Affairs which are likely better paid. Downside is that these are usually peripatetic roles, covering Southeast Asia.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

smalik
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 19 Jun 2017

Re: GP careers in Singapore

Postby smalik » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 7:36 pm

Hi BBCDoc

Thanks for your reply.

We've not really considered anything else because the information we had was that she'd have to work in a hospital to get SMC registration.

Would love to hear more about Medical Affairs and how to get further info. Ideally, she'd want to work in a GP Practice in the local area (private or public) and not in a hospital.

Thanks!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9508
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: GP careers in Singapore

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 8:51 pm

smalik wrote:Hello all

My wife and I are considering a move to SG as I have a job offer from a firm. My wife is a GP here in London, and we were wondering what job prospects were like for GPs in Singapore.

Our limited research indicates that she will likely have to find work in a govt hospital for 18 months. We have also been told that the pay isn't all that, and certainly much less than the UK.

Would be really grateful for a chat with any GPs who've moved out there. Happy to converse on the forum, email, WhatsApp, phone etc!

Many thanks!


where did she graduate from ? That May see a "small" career progression or remain the equivalent of A HO.

Pay. Most likely 3,200 + housing allowance + shift allowance

smalik
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 19 Jun 2017

Re: GP careers in Singapore

Postby smalik » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 9:08 pm

Hi

She's a UK graduate and we checked that her university is on the list of recognised universities.

But an HO is a huge step back. She's been a GP for several years now and 3200 is actually incredibly low!

Thanks

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9508
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: GP careers in Singapore

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 4:58 am

smalik wrote:Hi

She's a UK graduate and we checked that her university is on the list of recognised universities.

But an HO is a huge step back. She's been a GP for several years now and 3200 is actually incredibly low!

Thanks

If she has a recognized degree, she should be able to start out higher. But so far, the on calls are not avoidable. That's what I know.

First find a job, the hospital will apply for registration.

Good luck.

You may start off with MOHH Holdings.

P.S. pay in government hospitals here aren't fantastic. Even though the charges at time near private hospital prices ....

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9508
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: GP careers in Singapore

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 8:21 am

This is a good place to start:

https://www.singhealth.com.sg/DoctorsAn ... /Home.aspx

https://www.jobstreet.com.sg/en/job-sea ... nics-jobs/

Anyway, since she is UK Qualified, she may try the Private Medical hospitals, who can get her Registered under supervision.

Priority should be to Govt hospitals as the Registration process is seamless and quicker there.

smalik
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 19 Jun 2017

Re: GP careers in Singapore

Postby smalik » Thu, 22 Jun 2017 1:45 am

Thanks for the info! I'll have a look. We've been talking to some of the agencies who recruit on jobstreet and the word is that she'll probably have to join a local polyclinic and do the supervisory period of 2 years. You mentioned private hospitals - I only know of Raffles Medical. Are there any others I should speak to?

We've been trying to see if there's other UK or European qualified GPs that we can speak to, but can't seem to find any!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9508
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: GP careers in Singapore

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 22 Jun 2017 7:36 am

smalik wrote:Thanks for the info! I'll have a look. We've been talking to some of the agencies who recruit on jobstreet and the word is that she'll probably have to join a local polyclinic and do the supervisory period of 2 years. You mentioned private hospitals - I only know of Raffles Medical. Are there any others I should speak to?

We've been trying to see if there's other UK or European qualified GPs that we can speak to, but can't seem to find any!

When it comes to medical placements Agents can't do much. I would suggest you go direct.

Especially when placement is dependant on SMC approval.

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3166
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: GP careers in Singapore

Postby taxico » Tue, 04 Jul 2017 12:46 pm

full list of hospitals here: http://hcidirectory.sg/hcidirectory/hospital.do

understand that working conditions at polyclinics can be quite brutal, but can be satisfying on some days.

we're talking about 70-100 patients in a working day (7-8 hours), and she'll have to rely on her nurse to translate some (not all) asian languages.

it may, or may not be her cup of tea.

there are plenty of local/foreign UK-trained doctors in singapore. if you're hunting for the caucasian type, look for an "expat clinic" and check out their staff on the internet - find the white face/name.

check their registration details here: https://prs.moh.gov.sg/prs/internet/pro ... on?hpe=SMC

here's my link to some 2016 stats... your wife can review it and plan ahead: http://singaporemd.com/nycdoc/stats2016.pdf

salaries are lower, but so are taxes.

i think MOs get a basic salary of 3.5k today...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9508
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: GP careers in Singapore

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 04 Jul 2017 7:49 pm

taxico wrote:i think MOs get a basic salary of 3.5k today...


3,600 plus allowance for Shift and Housing.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest