Singapore Expats

Japanese supermarkets

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
zervino

Japanese supermarkets

Post by zervino » Sun, 18 Jun 2017 4:13 pm

I'm looking to buy Japanese groceries and so far what I found is quite pricy.
What are the best Japanese grocery stores with reasonable prices? Online or store.

Thanks.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Japanese supermarkets

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 02 Dec 2020 1:59 am

The supermarkets I know of are Meidi-ya and Don Don Donki. Meidi-ya is incredibly pricey, while Donki is more reasonably priced and with a significantly larger variety. I would definitely recommend that you try Donki- while you’re there, give the Strawberry Daifuku and Warabimochi a try. It’s made fresh daily and some of the best I’ve tried.

Pammy79

Post by Pammy79 » Mon, 07 Dec 2020 10:30 am

Yes I agree that don don doki is more affordable, supermarkets like fair price have an international corner these days. But you have to go to the hyper marts like those at Nex in serangoon

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Fri, 11 Dec 2020 10:00 am

Some local supermarkets like NTUC do carry Japanese products, not a lot, more could be reasonably enough for your cooking needs. Meidiya and Isetan carry a huge selection but very pricey. Don Donki is alright though. I think they have gone online on Shopee.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)