Singapore Expats

Furnished/unfurnished condo

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
nsewon

Furnished/unfurnished condo

Post by nsewon » Sun, 18 Jun 2017 10:46 am

Hi All
I am going to move to Singapore soon from Japan. I see many rooms in Singapore are fully furnished and wondering whther I can negotiate to pull some furnitures out, especially a bed, and use my own.

So my question is,
1. If I am going to rent a room, not a whole condo, can I find an unfurnished or partially furnished room which I can use my own bed?

2. If the room is fully furnished, can I negotiate with landlord to use my own bed?

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Furnished/unfurnished condo

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Jun 2017 2:13 pm

Doubtful. Space in Singapore is at a premium. If you want the LL to remove furniture are you willing to pay storage at warehouse to keep it? Neither are they, so you are pretty much stuck with it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 18 Jun 2017 5:43 pm

Have to disagree with SMS. For a few pcs of furnitures there should be no issue at all unless the furniture is very expensive and brand new what normally is not the case.

We have our own furniture, and even for unfurnished flats there is usually a fridge / washer. We have our own too and had never problems with the LLs to remove their stuff.

A typical bed is less than SGD1k. This translates to $40 a month for a 24month term. Such money is nothing for the typical variation of the rent at the negotiation stage.

Besides, many beds can just be disassembled and place in the shelter or even uder your own bed.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Jun 2017 8:08 pm

I have to admit I haven't rented here for the past 18 years, but back then it was a different story. :oops:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers