Singapore Expats

Is it worth to go for SIA Pilot?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Hexor

Is it worth to go for SIA Pilot?

Post by Hexor » Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:47 am

Hey,

24 years old graduated 2 years with a business degree. Like many other corporate slaves, I jumped right into the corporate world right after graduation. In fact, I managed to secure a job with a FMCG MNC retailer even before graduating. Was proud to start a career with an MNC while my course mates are still struggling to look for a job with a decent fresh grad pay.

2 years down the road and found myself waking up miserably everyday having to sit in the office for a 9-5 desk bound job after switching a few jobs, still can't find the passion and motivation.

I love travelling, exploring new places and meeting people with different cultures. Basically I don't really homesick much and able to live in solitary. So I started to look for jobs that include lots of travelling. Of course the first choice I have in mind is with the aviation industry.

Tried to look up cabin crew career but wasn't sure about the life after cabin crew, so it's probably a no. Next option would be a pilot (and i know this is definitely not easy). Standing at 1.77m but with specs, I'm wondering if I'm "Fit" for the job?

Is it worth pursuing the career as a pilot now? I have looked up a few articles and found there's a surplus in pilot supplies. Some found themselves jobless or back into the corporate world after spending hundred of thousands pursuing courses for the aviation career.

What do you guys think? And, is it even possible for a non Singaporean / Citizen to get into SIA?

Appreciate your constructive comments, but please no bashing.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Is it worth to go for SIA Pilot?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 14 Jun 2017 4:32 pm

Hexor wrote: Tried to look up cabin crew career but wasn't sure about the life after cabin crew, so it's probably a no. Next option would be a pilot (and i know this is definitely not easy). Standing at 1.77m but with specs, I'm wondering if I'm "Fit" for the job?
As a Cadet, unlikely for you to even be considered. Honestly.

You can always 'self finance'... but go through the regular mill of qualify, build time, (or pay to build time) and then go up and up ..

PS, those finding themselves jobless after qualifying, I believe, is due to their having high expectations and not willing to do bush flying.

That's my own opinion anyway.

PS, you are not gonna get into the Cadet program with specs, so what's your question about Non-SC ?

Hexor

Post by Hexor » Wed, 14 Jun 2017 5:07 pm

Specs concern can be easily solved by going for a lasik or lasek.

SC is uncontrollable.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 14 Jun 2017 8:23 pm

Hexor wrote:Specs concern can be easily solved by going for a lasik or lasek.

SC is uncontrollable.
So ...... your question was ????? ;)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:23 am

I'm friendly with a number of pilots and most complain about their lot and how things have got harder, especially the hours, less time between flights. They may just be a grumpy bunch as I don't see any of them changing careers. Might be a good idea to talk to a serving pilot to get some idea of what it's really like.

The cargo guys seem pretty happy, but that may not last, their contracts are coming up for renewal. :wink: