Singapore Expats

Wife's PR Application Rejected, what should I do next?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
renaldy

Wife's PR Application Rejected, what should I do next?

Post by renaldy » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 4:51 pm

Hi all,

I have just received the PR application rejection letter for my wife, feeling very devastated now and just need some kind souls here to shed some light on what we should do for the time being.

This is my profile:
27yo Local Chinese
Local Grad with Degree
Annual Salary ~ 60k

My wife:
23yo Filipino
Currently Holding LTVP
Monthly Salary ~ 1.5k
Has degree from the Philippines

We submitted her PR application on 1 Dec 2016, and basically in the rejection letter, it is written as such:

Nevertheless, your wife can continue to reside here on her valid long term visit pass.

Once again, really need some opinions here. Moving forward what should we do; how to increase our chances etc.

Thank you so much in advance

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Wife's PR Application Rejected, what should I do next?

Post by jamie9vardy » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 5:00 pm

renaldy wrote:Hi all,

I have just received the PR application rejection letter for my wife, feeling very devastated now and just need some kind souls here to shed some light on what we should do for the time being.

This is my profile:
27yo Local Chinese
Local Grad with Degree
Annual Salary ~ 60k

My wife:
23yo Filipino
Currently Holding LTVP
Monthly Salary ~ 1.5k

We submitted her PR application on 1 Dec 2016, and basically in the rejection letter, it is written as such:

Nevertheless, your wife can continue to reside here on her valid long term visit pass.

Once again, really need some opinions here. Moving forward what should we do; how to increase our chances etc.

How long have you both been married when you applied?

renaldy

Post by renaldy » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 5:04 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:

This is my profile:
27yo Local Chinese
Local Grad with Degree
Annual Salary ~ 60k

My wife:
23yo Filipino
Currently Holding LTVP
Monthly Salary ~ 1.5k

around 9 months

SaraAbdul

Post by SaraAbdul » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 5:13 pm

renaldy wrote:
jamie9vardy wrote:

This is my profile:
27yo Local Chinese
Local Grad with Degree
Annual Salary ~ 60k

My wife:
23yo Filipino
Currently Holding LTVP
Monthly Salary ~ 1.5k

around 9 months
You applied too soon. Apply again when you have child together, born here and not registered as a Philipino.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 5:14 pm

This is my profile:
27yo Local Chinese
Local Grad with Degree
Annual Salary ~ 60k

My wife:
23yo Filipino
Currently Holding LTVP
Monthly Salary ~ 1.5k

- Show improvement in Salary of both of you
- Apply after 2-3 years of marriage. They are enforcing this for citizens, then why not for PR's?

renaldy

Post by renaldy » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks guys for the advice, I'm actually pretty worried as I've read in other forums that "your wife can continue to reside here on her valid long term valid pass" means that there will be no chance or whatsoever in the future at all. It got me scared

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 5:23 pm

singaporeflyer wrote: - Show improvement in Salary of both of you
- Apply after 2-3 years of marriage. They are enforcing this for citizens, then why not for PR's?
Ditto. Agreed with SF.

You applied too soon. The folks at ICA wants to make sure that it's not a marriage of convenience. For spouse sponsored SC route, the minimum length of marriage is clearly spelled out as 2 years.

Financial status is also one of the key considerations. It's from the horses mouth directly

https://lkyspp.nus.edu.sg/ips/wp-conten ... 010216.pdf

renaldy

Post by renaldy » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 5:33 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote: - Show improvement in Salary of both of you
Ditto. Agreed with SF.

You applied too soon. The folks at ICA wants to make sure that it's not a marriage of convenience. For spouse sponsored SC route, the minimum length of marriage is clearly spelled out as 2 years.

Financial status is also one of the key considerations. It's from the horses mouth directly

https://lkyspp.nus.edu.sg/ips/wp-conten ... 010216.pdf
thats some interesting piece of info, thanks for sharing!

personally im not that fearful of my own salary progression as im having a steady rate of increase. it is my wife that im worried for, she is currently doing admin work for a small company and hence the pay, i guess i will persuade her to make a career move.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 5:49 pm

I think it is more time related than anything. Government wants to ensure that marriages between foreigners and locals are not for convenience. Time (3 years of marrriage) and a child will prove to them that your marriage is real,

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 7:20 pm

renaldy wrote:Thanks guys for the advice, I'm actually pretty worried as I've read in other forums that "your wife can continue to reside here on her valid long term valid pass" means that there will be no chance or whatsoever in the future at all. It got me scared
What is her pass now ?

What made you jump to PR instead of LTVP ?

renaldy

Post by renaldy » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 9:54 pm

ecureilx wrote:
renaldy wrote:Thanks guys for the advice, I'm actually pretty worried as I've read in other forums that "your wife can continue to reside here on her valid long term valid pass" means that there will be no chance or whatsoever in the future at all. It got me scared
What is her pass now ?

What made you jump to PR instead of LTVP ?
she's already on LTVP my friend. it will be valid until 2019

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 10:09 pm

renaldy wrote:
and what's the urgency to get PR ? That's a serious question.

If you been in any MPS, you will know, the folks get a bit suspicious when newly married ask for PR. In fact, if residency is the need, LTVP+ is good. And as a citizen, you have no urgency to get her to PR, unless she is pushing for PR.

As said, wait 3 years before applying, to be on the safe side.

renaldy

Post by renaldy » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 9:05 am

ecureilx wrote:
renaldy wrote:
and what's the urgency to get PR ? That's a serious question.

If you been in any MPS, you will know, the folks get a bit suspicious when newly married ask for PR. In fact, if residency is the need, LTVP+ is good. And as a citizen, you have no urgency to get her to PR, unless she is pushing for PR.

As said, wait 3 years before applying, to be on the safe side.
well.. PR comes with CPF, and we both feel it is better for retirement if she gets CPF as early as possible. But most importantly we want to BTO, for example the latest project is Yishun and the price was pretty good, but we were unable to BTO because she's holding onto LTVP.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 10:16 am

renaldy wrote: But most importantly we want to BTO
This is my favourite part of Singapore culture .... whether for marriage or now a change in status , just so you can apply for a place to live, folk doing stuff not because of what they may actually want but because the system force them to do.

What a beautiful start to a relationship/marriage.

Why did the Government create such a system where things have to be forced on you by the Government instead of wanted by individual. That surely means that the system isn't working.

In this case , the guy is a citizen , why restrict him if he is married already??
Life is short, paddle harder!!

renaldy

Post by renaldy » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 10:48 am

Barnsley wrote:
renaldy wrote: But most importantly we want to BTO
This is my favourite part of Singapore culture .... whether for marriage or now a change in status , just so you can apply for a place to live, folk doing stuff not because of what they may actually want but because the system force them to do.

What a beautiful start to a relationship/marriage.

Why did the Government create such a system where things have to be forced on you by the Government instead of wanted by individual. That surely means that the system isn't working.

In this case , the guy is a citizen , why restrict him if he is married already??
fully agree with your sentiment, I can understand that there were many "marriage of convenience" cases, but people that are legit couples should not be affected because of this. If the world was a simpler place, marrying a foreign spouse should automatically grant her a PR given the benefit of doubt. i'm "lucky" enough that i was able to get LTVP for my wife, and i'm pretty sure beyond me there are a lot of sad cases that result in breakup just because the system doesnt permit it (no LTVP or whatsoever). this isn't right at all.

in my case, i'm 27 this year, living under one roof with my parents, which they dont mind. but i think it is natural and reasonable of me to want my own house before i can think of starting a family, given the circumstances now, i'm severely handicapped. by the time my wife gets her PR, AND after the flat is built, i will at least be in my mid 30s already