Singapore Expats

Need Advice : Visit visa for Parents

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
mrdube

Need Advice : Visit visa for Parents

Post by mrdube » Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:41 pm

HI,

I will be relocating to Singapore this August on Employment Pass. My salary is 6500$ per month. My spouse will be getting dependent's visa and hopes to find a job in Singapore soon.

I wish to bring my mother to Singapore. But the condition for Long term Visit visa is that I should be earning more 10000$. When my spouse starts earning, the family earning would certainly be more than 10000$. Can we then apply for Long term visit visa?

Or should I bring her on visit visa? I tried to check the regulations and duration of visit visa for social purposes. There is no clear duration specified. I get to choose whether the duration of the visit is under 30 days or more than 30 days. Can this visa be of a duration of 5 or 6 months?

Is the visit visa a multiple entry visa?

x9200

Re: Need Advice : Visit visa for Parents

Post by x9200 » Sun, 11 Jun 2017 8:44 am

mrdube wrote:HI,

I will be relocating to Singapore this August on Employment Pass. My salary is 6500$ per month. My spouse will be getting dependent's visa and hopes to find a job in Singapore soon.

I wish to bring my mother to Singapore. But the condition for Long term Visit visa is that I should be earning more 10000$. When my spouse starts earning, the family earning would certainly be more than 10000$. Can we then apply for Long term visit visa?

Yes, you can, but you are not going to get it.

Or should I bring her on visit visa? I tried to check the regulations and duration of visit visa for social purposes. There is no clear duration specified. I get to choose whether the duration of the visit is under 30 days or more than 30 days. Can this visa be of a duration of 5 or 6 months?

If she is not eligible to get LTVP under your EP her only choice is a standard short term visit pass and this is country (passport holder) specific including the duration. I suggest you search this forum using the keywords: LTVP parents, or even parents alone. The topic was discussed dozens of times.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 11 Jun 2017 2:12 pm

mrdube wrote:HI,

in a nutshell combined salary is not accepted. Applicants salary should be over 10K.

What passport does mummy hold?

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 9:02 am

Yep - what passport does she hold?

In general - SVP are valid for 30 days at a time, and you can't stay in SG for more than 183 days a year. I.e. you can maybe do 6 x 30 day visits (but obviously not continuously)

If you can't live without mummy, don't come to SG. If mummy can't live without you, then look at putting her in an old peoples' home, or hiring live in help for her back home.

What does your wife think of having your mother live with you?

kurtrules1

Post by kurtrules1 » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 9:38 am

@Mr Dube - A visit visa can be valid for anywhere between 1 month to 2 years depending on multiple factors. It is a multiple entry visa unless specified otherwise. However, the maximum number of days, the person can stay on a SVP (Short term visit pass) is 30 days, extendable upon request & approval, for another 30 days (See this - https://extend.ica.gov.sg/extend/index.xhtml). However, it cannot be extended again, and the person has to leave the country.

For a re-entry to Singapore, it's best if your mother spaces out the number of visits per year or else she stands a high chance of being denied entry.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 11:35 am

kurtrules1 wrote:@Mr Dube - A visit visa can be valid for anywhere between 1 month to 2 years depending on multiple factors. It is a multiple entry visa unless specified otherwise. However, the maximum number of days, the person can stay on a SVP (Short term visit pass) is 30 days, extendable upon request & approval, for another 30 days (See this - https://extend.ica.gov.sg/extend/index.xhtml). However, it cannot be extended again, and the person has to leave the country.

For a re-entry to Singapore, it's best if your mother spaces out the number of visits per year or else she stands a high chance of being denied entry.
Slight correction: Not all visas issued to all nationalities are Multiple Entry. Multiple Entry is ME only if it specifies so in the visa. not the other way around.

Multiple entry visas can be as short as 3 months - with upto 30 day per stay, to 1 year. Haven't seen or heard of anything longer than 12 months issued by ICA.

kurtrules1

Post by kurtrules1 » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 12:15 pm

ecureilx wrote: Slight correction: Not all visas issued to all nationalities are Multiple Entry. Multiple Entry is ME only if it specifies so in the visa. not the other way around.
Correct. That's why I mentioned unless stated otherwise.
ecureilx wrote:
Multiple entry visas can be as short as 3 months - with upto 30 day per stay, to 1 year. Haven't seen or heard of anything longer than 12 months issued by ICA.
Multiple entry visas with a duration of 2 years, with a maximum of 30 days per stay (extendable to another 30 days subject to approval) are issued by the ICA. My parents have one.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 12:36 pm

kurtrules1 wrote:Multiple entry visas with a duration of 2 years, with a maximum of 30 days per stay (extendable to another 30 days subject to approval) are issued by the ICA. My parents have one.
Good to hear that !

I have in fact seen ME for 3 months, really !

I guess it depends on the candidate and the relationship with the one applying the visa

kurtrules1

Post by kurtrules1 » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 12:46 pm

Totally does. My father-in-law was given a 3-month visa only.

I have also experienced first hand, that where you apply from and the travel agent choose to apply through (Foreigners applying from different regions of their home country using different agents) also plays a role in some cases.

mrdube

Post by mrdube » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 4:29 pm

What passport does mummy hold?
She holds Indian passport.