Singapore Expats

Business trip to Romania!

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
x9200

Re: Business trip to Romania!

Post by x9200 » Fri, 16 Jun 2017 8:37 am

Wd40 wrote:I was pondering about how in Romania there are white white every where and no brown no black and no yellow and then I came across this article about Poland:

https://www.amren.com/commentary/2017/0 ... mogeneity/

Brilliantly written. I would have written exactly like about Romania as well.
What's so brilliant in it? This guy is plain racist or you started to be sarcastic?

One of the main reasons Poland is pretty racially and culturally monolithic is indeed the iron curtain (mostly an economic factor) but there are also some other reasons. Poland, unlike some other countries has never had any strong ambition to conquer and exploit other nations. After more civilized era came to play, historic guilt kicked in with the ease to travel/work for formerly dependent states. Perhaps it was also the same in Romania, but it is more complex to what is said in the article. It has nothing to do with (anti)Islam (yes, there are mosques in Poland) or other religions or the color of ones skin.

But to understand this, the author would need to be a bit more educated and less xenophobic, because Poland was once actually very diversified and multicultural, extremely open to other nations and very tolerant accepting even religion based refugees from other countries. You may google out Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth if interested.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:43 am

to summarize wd40 trip so far in a single sentence.. finding India in Romania. =D>
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Fri, 16 Jun 2017 11:53 am

Nice beers. Have not tasted any of them. But it is good to have a little bit of enjoyment on business trips. We each have our own way of enjoying the world by either finding variety or finding similarities.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 16 Jun 2017 12:07 pm

bro75 wrote:Nice beers. Have not tasted any of them. But it is good to have a little bit of enjoyment on business trips. We each have our own way of enjoying the world by either finding variety or finding similarities.
I think the point is, it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:46 am

Cheers! :)Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 1:03 am

Learnt something new, last couple of days. Indian restaurants in Romania don't mean Indian food. They just mean you get all kinds of alcoholic drinks and hookah. The theme is Indian though. Actually not really Indian. It is Arabic. Have a look at this place. Some sort of Arabic music playing in the background, no Indian food. But luckily got some vegetarian sandwiches and nice beer.ImageImage

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 1:17 am

x9200 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I was pondering about how in Romania there are white white every where and no brown no black and no yellow and then I came across this article about Poland:

What's so brilliant in it? This guy is plain racist or you started to be sarcastic?

One of the main reasons Poland is pretty racially and culturally monolithic is indeed the iron curtain (mostly an economic factor) but there are also some other reasons. Poland, unlike some other countries has never had any strong ambition to conquer and exploit other nations. After more civilized era came to play, historic guilt kicked in with the ease to travel/work for formerly dependent states. Perhaps it was also the same in Romania, but it is more complex to what is said in the article. It has nothing to do with (anti)Islam (yes, there are mosques in Poland) or other religions or the color of ones skin.

But to understand this, the author would need to be a bit more educated and less xenophobic, because Poland was once actually very diversified and multicultural, extremely open to other nations and very tolerant accepting even religion based refugees from other countries. You may google out Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth if interested.
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying anything in a negative way. It is just like the author, I am amazed that in countries in Eastern Europe, white people can be like normal people. I see white construction workers, white people every where. This is how it should be. I mean you should be able to be self sufficient with your own people instead of importing cheaper people from other countries. The homogeneity itself is so refreshing in a white setting. I have seen it in brown setting and I know it exists in yellow and black setting, but seeing it in white setting is refreshing. I am not saying it in a racist way. I don't understand why you called the author a racist. He didn't make any demeaning comment.

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 6:35 am

Wd40 wrote:
x9200 wrote:

I don't understand why you called the author a racist. He didn't make any demeaning comment.

haha..almost every paragraph has a racist line in there.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 8:15 am

Wd40 wrote:Don't get me wrong. I am not saying anything in a negative way. It is just like the author, I am amazed that in countries in Eastern Europe, white people can be like normal people. I see white construction workers, white
Of course white people do all these jobs, but again, it has nothing to do with the color or race but more with geography and politics.
(don't worry, I get you, it's just you are not familiar with this sort of sights).
Wd40 wrote:people every where. This is how it should be. I mean you should be able to be self sufficient with your own people instead of importing cheaper people from other countries.
If I am not mistaken, Poland has currently over 1milion of Ukrainian workers doing the low paid jobs, mostly in construction industry and agriculture. Poles on the other hand tend to migrate to the countries like the UK or Holland for similar type, but better paid jobs. It's natural. You can see it everywhere where there is some freedom of movement for the jobs.
Wd40 wrote:The homogeneity itself is so refreshing in a white setting. I have seen it in brown setting and I know it exists in yellow and black setting, but seeing it in white setting is refreshing. I am not saying it in a racist way. I don't understand why you called the author a racist. He didn't make any demeaning comment.
There is nothing wrong in homogeneity itself, but do you really see nothing worrying in (for example) this paragraph?:

When I go back to America from time to time, I have to go through the surreal experience of having some Indian or Filipino direct me through a maze of roped lines so Officer Gonzalez or Officer Chung can check my right to enter the country where I was born. When I come back to Poland, I often catch incoming tourists staring in disbelief at the attractive white women who stamp passports and lead drug-sniffing dogs through the baggage pick-up area.

Polish women are attractive and racial personal preferences doesn't make one a racist (myself, prefer Caucasian women too) but from above, it doesn't really sound like the author elaborates on the personal perception of attractiveness.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 8:19 am

Wd40 wrote:Learnt something new, last couple of days. Indian restaurants in Romania don't mean Indian food. They just mean you get all kinds of alcoholic drinks and hookah. The theme is Indian though. Actually not really Indian. It is Arabic. Have a look at this place. Some sort of Arabic music playing in the background, no Indian food. But luckily got some vegetarian sandwiches and nice beer.ImageImage

The setting above looks very Turkish to me.

girly26

Post by girly26 » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 8:43 pm

Barnsley wrote:Are you wearing your Gheorge Hagi Football Shirt??

"Maradona of the Carpathians"

=D> =D> =D>
Hahah X)

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:26 am

Spent the weekend in the mountains of Transilvania. Really awesome experience as a local colleague drove us through and we stayed at his holiday home which is the most beautiful place I have ever stayed. It is a like a huge plot with a wooden house and all kinds of vegetables growing, including strawberrys in their backyard. Had some awesome home made food, it was like mashed eggplant that you apply on bread and eat and then some awesome cheese and fresh tomatoes.

I also tried for the first time a dish called cheese fondue. It is cheese melting in a pan and you dip bread crumbs in it and eat. It was awesome.

I havent had Indian food for a week now and loving all the bread and cheese here.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 8:20 am

Good job WD40! You probably managed to catch the last glimpses of the late European spring. If you walked a bit through the forests you could probably find wild strawberries.

No strawberry you can ever buy in any regular shop will ever come close to it.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 02 Jul 2017 9:05 pm

An interesting article in Polish newspaper.
An American dream of Indians in Poland

Google translated link below.
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 Jul 2017 9:43 pm

Nice article. However I wonder why Hindu the religion has been used almost synonymous with India in this article. May be translation error? I guess Indians are referred to as Hindi/Hindu in Poland?