Singapore Expats

Business trip to Romania!

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Business trip to Romania!

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 07 Jun 2017 6:48 pm

My work is sending me on a business trip to Bucharest :) Anybody here knows anything to do in Bucharest? I will have 1 sunday and 1 weekend on my own.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Business trip to Romania!

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 07 Jun 2017 10:59 pm

beer is cheap, you can drink a lot of it.. and stay out of the trouble with the gypsies.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 11 Jun 2017 2:05 am

Thanks. Guess where I am posting this message from; 9753m above sea level, Turkish airlines, business class. #internetontheplane

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 11 Jun 2017 2:14 pm

Wd40 wrote:Thanks. Guess where I am posting this message from; 9753m above sea level, Turkish airlines, business class. #internetontheplane Image

Avoiding Qatar Air space ?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 11 Jun 2017 7:17 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Thanks. Guess where I am posting this message from; 9753m above sea level, Turkish airlines, business class. #internetontheplane Image

Avoiding Qatar Air space ?
The plane few through Saudi Arabia, so I guess Qatar was never in its route. Initially I had choice between Qatar airways and Turkish, Turkish timings were better so I chose it. Istanbul airport sucks. The transfer area was so chaotic. Luckily as a business class passenger I went through a shorter queue. Changi airport is like a heaven in comparison.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 3:47 pm

Are you wearing your Gheorge Hagi Football Shirt??

"Maradona of the Carpathians"

=D> =D> =D>
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 4:01 pm

Barnsley wrote:Are you wearing your Gheorge Hagi Football Shirt??

=D> =D> =D>
Thanks. I didn't know who he was until you mentioned :)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 12 Jun 2017 4:13 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Are you wearing your Gheorge Hagi Football Shirt??

=D> =D> =D>
Thanks. I didn't know who he was until you mentioned :)

Or Nadia Comaneci :roll:

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 6:47 pm

According to Wikipedia there are about 1000 Indians living in whole of Romania. I have seen probably 1 or 2 during the last couple of days. Not that it matters. However, when it comes to Chinese. In the immigration itself, there was a group of 22 Chinese tourists who could not speak English and were having a tough time. Also at every tourist attraction I noticed so many hoards of Chinese.

When it comes to food, I had no issues at all finding vegetarian food or Indian like food. There is a canteen near our office where there is maxican rice, risotto etc and also some Indian vegetable curry like dishes. So felt absolutely as ease. I also visited an Indian restaurant. The workers were all Romanians and guests were also all Romanians, quite amazing. Indian food wasn't authentic, yet pretty close and good. I had an awesome beer called Zaganu Blonda. Probably the best tasting beer I have ever had.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 7:52 pm

So you basically travel to different countries and discover how is the Indian food over there... Funny enough I actually have similar inclinations, except I also want to know the local food.

Returned recently from Sri Lanka... Lankan curry, some, VERY good, I am a compulsive meat eater and for the first time I didn't miss it at all, but somehow it looks this was all what the Srilankan cuisine could offer.

For Romania, unfortunately, I only know Hungarian Romanians what I think is a different sort. Go Poland, I could be more helpful :)

Yes, Gypsies have bad reputation, I believe across Europe.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 8:06 pm

Actually, I need to have Indian food atleast like once in couple of days, kind of addiction. But regarding local food, most restaurants serve the same, pizza, pasta, lasagna etc and also the cantina has all kinds of food. I don't think there exists a thing called local food these days, my experience if Amsterdam was also same. Ask them what is their local food and they told me it's mashed potatoes. Plus I have this restriction of vegetarianism so it further hampers my choices.

Last edited by Wd40 on Tue, 13 Jun 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 8:16 pm

The Dutch has local food but it's pretty unspecific and surely not vegetarian (i.e. stamppot). Romania, again, don't know, but if you have never been to Hungary perhaps you could try Lesco?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecs%C3%B3

There is a pretty big Hungarian community in Romania so you should be able to find some restaurants serving it. Good stuff and purely vegetarian.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 13 Jun 2017 8:21 pm

x9200 wrote:The Dutch has local food but it's pretty unspecific and surely not vegetarian (i.e. stamppot). Romania, again, don't know, but if you have never been to Hungary perhaps you could try Lesco?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecs%C3%B3

There is a pretty big Hungarian community in Romania so you should be able to find some restaurants serving it. Good stuff and purely vegetarian.
Thanks. For breakfast, I absolutely love the kinds of breads, cakes, cheese etc available at our hotel. So for breakfast I absolutely don't mind skipping Indian food.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:53 am

wd40 please get out of your Indian mindset for once and try something different! there is so much variety to pick and choose from yet you insist on finding something Indian which btw you can find when you get back to Singapore after your trip.. seriously man, why do guys all behave like this?
and even when you do want to explore something western you can never look beyond some shitty pizza and pasta or your veg burgers... ](*,)

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 14 Jun 2017 12:07 pm

Yesterday we went to an nice restaurant and the only vegetarian thing I found were boiled potatoes wedges and mashed corn called palinta and both were bland. The dessert was nice though. So it is not Indian mindset, it is just that as a vegetarian there aren't​ much choices.

Anyways we had an awesome time. I tasted the local drink called Palinca with very high alcohol percentage.