Singapore Expats

PR 'Rejected': What really matters to Singapore in 2017?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PR 'Rejected': What really matters to Singapore in 2017?

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 12 Jul 2017 7:07 pm

CashewNut wrote:
snoogs359 wrote:Long time lurker, rejected twice previously for PR. Wanted to get some opinions on my profile and whether I should apply again:

Race/Nationality: Korean/American born
Degree: BA from top 25 university in US
PEP Pass
In Singapore since: 07/2012
2 Children- boy and girl- both born in Singapore (boy just born 30 days ago)
Wife: PRC on dependent pass
Salary: 12k+/month
Field of work: FSI software/IT
Intention: Use PR as pathway for citizenship if possible.

-Have been doing a lot of local work at grassroots level via my local church. Almost all of my friends are local Singaporeans. All encourage to keep trying but after 2 rejects....am thinking the message is loud and clear. Thoughts?
The PEP might be a negative, not sure that you can even apply with that or who would fill out the employers declaration on the form. The PEP is usually for high earning foreign professionals who go from job to job. They might think you're not a stayer. Are actually employed full time and have been for some time?
PEP is surely not negative. I am not sure what gave you the opinion. PEP is only for a certain group of people who have certain educational qualifications and salary criteria ( which is usually high).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:13 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
CashewNut wrote:
snoogs359 wrote:Long time lurker, rejected twice previously for PR. Wanted to get some opinions on my profile and whether I should apply again:

Race/Nationality: Korean/American born
Degree: BA from top 25 university in US
PEP Pass
In Singapore since: 07/2012
2 Children- boy and girl- both born in Singapore (boy just born 30 days ago)
Wife: PRC on dependent pass
Salary: 12k+/month
Field of work: FSI software/IT
Intention: Use PR as pathway for citizenship if possible.

-Have been doing a lot of local work at grassroots level via my local church. Almost all of my friends are local Singaporeans. All encourage to keep trying but after 2 rejects....am thinking the message is loud and clear. Thoughts?
The PEP might be a negative, not sure that you can even apply with that or who would fill out the employers declaration on the form. The PEP is usually for high earning foreign professionals who go from job to job. They might think you're not a stayer. Are actually employed full time and have been for some time?
PEP is surely not negative. I am not sure what gave you the opinion. PEP is only for a certain group of people who have certain educational qualifications and salary criteria ( which is usually high).
^^^^This.

Additionally, the PEP, from it's inception, was created as a stepping stone for those EP holders would would be desirable as PR and eventually SCs. It was the reason the PEP was created in the first place. This gave high earning EP holders a taste of the freedom to move around as long as they could maintain that high salary scale. This is why they have to be notified every year, while on the PEP of their annual salary. It is also the reason that it is only given ONCE and is not renewable, but if you don't apply for and gain your PR, then you will have no choice but to go back on an EP and take further chances on gaining PR in the future if you want to keep trying. However, you chances diminish if you do not apply for your PR before it expires as it shows you are not interested in PR and the likelihood of gaining PR from an EP later are rather slim.

I reckon, if the OP was rejected while on EPs, and in now on a PEP, it's the best time to apply for PR as that is what the PEP was designed to do, act as a bridge or stepping stone from the temporary employment pass to the Semi-Permanent (with the ability to move freely between companies without having to be vetting for the employment pass) with the view of the PEP holder eventually taking up PR.

Sadly, what has happened, is a lot of people have abused the PEP as only a mean to get a long visa while they are unemployed and hoping they can score a really high paying job after being retrenched at their current employer. These people burned your bridges for you. Just makes it harder, but the PEP is NOT a dead end.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Additionally, the PEP, from it's inception, was created as a stepping stone for those EP holders would would be desirable as PR and eventually SCs.
SMS is definitely spot on again. I recall there's a forum member u4ria (I think) who was on PEP initially, got his SC approved in under 6 months early this year. Which is something we rarely these days where 10 months minimum is the norm.

physice

Post by physice » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 3:49 pm

Hi every one,

Need your view also regarding my upcoming PR application. My appointment is in Oct 2017 (booked the appointment already).

Sex: Female
Race/Nationality: Chinese/Indonesian, single. No relatives here.
Degree: BA (First Honours) from one of top engineering University in Indonesia, and M.Sc from SMU
Been 3 years in Singapore - 1 year master degree, 2 years working (2 EP and 2 Tax Assessment. Never got Spass).
Field of work: Proposal Engineer in water field business.
Salary: 3.6k/mo.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 6:15 pm

physice wrote:Hi every one,

Need your view also regarding my upcoming PR application. My appointment is in Oct 2017 (booked the appointment already).

Sex: Female
Race/Nationality: Chinese/Indonesian, single. No relatives here.
Degree: BA (First Honours) from one of top engineering University in Indonesia, and M.Sc from SMU
Been 3 years in Singapore - 1 year master degree, 2 years working (2 EP and 2 Tax Assessment. Never got Spass).
Field of work: Proposal Engineer in water field business.
Salary: 3.6k/mo.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Maybe get asked to wait a couple more years, though even If you don't get it this time around , I would expect you would receive sometime down the line :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:42 pm

Gut feel is that you will get lucky on the first try if you are holding two tax assessments at the moment and based on the industry you are in, and ticking all the right boxes with regard to race, gender, age, marital status and education I think you will get it. If not this time then wait a year and reapply.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers