Singapore Expats Forum

SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Post here for survey, questionnaire or poll for our expat members.

What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Western Union
0
No votes
MoneyGram
0
No votes
Bank Transfers
3
75%
Other Remittance Houses
1
25%
 
Total votes: 4

jesa01
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2017

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby jesa01 » Mon, 05 Jun 2017 10:34 am

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I met some guys from Pay2Home at the last AustCham event. They seem to have it worked out for lower costs - their target is work pass holders, seamen etc.

Pay2Home Is NOT cheap, vs other options, example, Philippines.

Their main convenience factor for me was their online payment, saving you time to visit their outlet.

Now they have ATM style kiosks to initiate a transfer any time.


Have you used their kiosk system? How was it?

jesa01
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2017

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby jesa01 » Mon, 05 Jun 2017 10:36 am

PNGMK wrote:I met some guys from Pay2Home at the last AustCham event. They seem to have it worked out for lower costs - their target is work pass holders, seamen etc.


would you be interested to try out their offering?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34336
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Jun 2017 11:52 am

jesa01 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I met some guys from Pay2Home at the last AustCham event. They seem to have it worked out for lower costs - their target is work pass holders, seamen etc.


would you be interested to try out their offering?


I've been wondering how long it would take for the coin to drop...

tic...toc...tic...toc...

moderator

jesa01
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2017

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby jesa01 » Mon, 05 Jun 2017 11:57 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
jesa01 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I met some guys from Pay2Home at the last AustCham event. They seem to have it worked out for lower costs - their target is work pass holders, seamen etc.


would you be interested to try out their offering?


I've been wondering how long it would take for the coin to drop...

tic...toc...tic...toc...

moderator


Actual Coins, Bit Coins or Ethereum? LOL!

User avatar
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed, 08 May 2013
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby Max Headroom » Mon, 05 Jun 2017 4:06 pm

Hehehe.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9506
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 05 Jun 2017 5:05 pm

jesa01 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I met some guys from Pay2Home at the last AustCham event. They seem to have it worked out for lower costs - their target is work pass holders, seamen etc.


would you be interested to try out their offering?


are they waiving their expensive remittance fee ?? :D And did their rates get better ?

jesa01
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2017

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby jesa01 » Tue, 06 Jun 2017 1:31 pm

ecureilx wrote:
jesa01 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I met some guys from Pay2Home at the last AustCham event. They seem to have it worked out for lower costs - their target is work pass holders, seamen etc.


would you be interested to try out their offering?


are they waiving their expensive remittance fee ?? :D And did their rates get better ?


If they did waive their expensive remittance fees, but their FX rates are still the same, would you be willing to try out their services?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9506
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 06 Jun 2017 3:38 pm

jesa01 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
jesa01 wrote:
would you be interested to try out their offering?


are they waiving their expensive remittance fee ?? :D And did their rates get better ?


If they did waive their expensive remittance fees, but their FX rates are still the same, would you be willing to try out their services?


Their FX rates are slightly higher than DBS, for Remit to Philippines. And DBS International Remit to Philippines is Free of Service fee.

To be honest, I am trying to be nice, but why would somebody willingly and knowingly pay a higher FX Rate ? ;) And that's coming from somebody who is not much of a cheapskate, and somebody who don't spend hours to save a few cents.

Oh, I am not saying Pay2Home is bad, in fact before DBS started the International remit, Pay2Home was good for me as they allowed to create a transaction and then bank transfer to them, so they do the transfer overseas. (there you go, i was in fact tolerating their higher service fee + FX Rate at one time .. for convenience sake)

Not anymore. And, Thanks, but no thanks to the freebies and gifts.

jesa01
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2017

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby jesa01 » Wed, 07 Jun 2017 12:08 pm

ecureilx wrote:
jesa01 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
are they waiving their expensive remittance fee ?? :D And did their rates get better ?


If they did waive their expensive remittance fees, but their FX rates are still the same, would you be willing to try out their services?


Their FX rates are slightly higher than DBS, for Remit to Philippines. And DBS International Remit to Philippines is Free of Service fee.

To be honest, I am trying to be nice, but why would somebody willingly and knowingly pay a higher FX Rate ? ;) And that's coming from somebody who is not much of a cheapskate, and somebody who don't spend hours to save a few cents.

Oh, I am not saying Pay2Home is bad, in fact before DBS started the International remit, Pay2Home was good for me as they allowed to create a transaction and then bank transfer to them, so they do the transfer overseas. (there you go, i was in fact tolerating their higher service fee + FX Rate at one time .. for convenience sake)

Not anymore. And, Thanks, but no thanks to the freebies and gifts.


Agree with your sentiments exactly.

I hope you don't mind joining me for another hypothetical.

What if it was Western Union/Money Gram though?

E.g. You have to send your money to your recipient, in either cash or to their bank account.

Let's just say for this example, Western Union. They promise to send your money ~10 minutes by cash pick up or direct to bank, and you can send 24/7 through a kiosk or mobile app with 50% off or $0 transfer fees. Would you use them?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9506
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 07 Jun 2017 12:59 pm

jesa01 wrote:Agree with your sentiments exactly.

I hope you don't mind joining me for another hypothetical.

What if it was Western Union/Money Gram though?

E.g. You have to send your money to your recipient, in either cash or to their bank account.

Let's just say for this example, Western Union. They promise to send your money ~10 minutes by cash pick up or direct to bank, and you can send 24/7 through a kiosk or mobile app with 50% off or $0 transfer fees. Would you use them?


I don't need money sent in a flash :D

And why use a Kiosk or Mobile app when you can use this ???

https://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/deposit ... -transfers

And you didn't tell us if you work for Pay2Home.

jesa01
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2017

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby jesa01 » Thu, 08 Jun 2017 9:51 am

ecureilx wrote:
jesa01 wrote:Agree with your sentiments exactly.

I hope you don't mind joining me for another hypothetical.

What if it was Western Union/Money Gram though?

E.g. You have to send your money to your recipient, in either cash or to their bank account.

Let's just say for this example, Western Union. They promise to send your money ~10 minutes by cash pick up or direct to bank, and you can send 24/7 through a kiosk or mobile app with 50% off or $0 transfer fees. Would you use them?


I don't need money sent in a flash :D

And why use a Kiosk or Mobile app when you can use this ???

https://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/deposit ... -transfers

And you didn't tell us if you work for Pay2Home.


LOL! I don't work for pay2home. That, I can confirm. :D

I do work for another company dealing with remittance, and this forum survey was not sanctioned by them... so I'm kinda "breaking protocol"?

But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #yolo

I was just personally curious about what you guys are using since some of the remittance houses in market out there, charge an arm and a leg for sending money back to countries in the region, not to mention out side of.

One more question though, if y'all still up for it... [-o<

What will make you change ship from I guess, DBS to the remittance houses we discussed (i.e. Western Union, MoneyGram or Pay2Home)?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9506
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 08 Jun 2017 10:26 pm

jesa01 wrote:LOL! I don't work for pay2home. That, I can confirm. :D

I do work for another company dealing with remittance, and this forum survey was not sanctioned by them... so I'm kinda "breaking protocol"?

But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #yolo

I was just personally curious about what you guys are using since some of the remittance houses in market out there, charge an arm and a leg for sending money back to countries in the region, not to mention out side of.

One more question though, if y'all still up for it... [-o<

What will make you change ship from I guess, DBS to the remittance houses we discussed (i.e. Western Union, MoneyGram or Pay2Home)?


of course, rates, service fee and ...

Online payment. That's for me.

I just go to DBS initiate a transfer and next working day, it's sent.

Pay2Home had system to initiate online remittance but had to make a request, then go to DBS online, transfer to P2H, then email P2H, and hope they complete the transaction soon. Often it was not done first thing the next working day.

Though P2H has partner agencies for self collection, that's moot for my needs, as I only do bank transfer. Remittance isn't as easy as it could be as occasionally P2H insists I had to prove who I am, to comply with rules.

jesa01
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2017

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby jesa01 » Fri, 09 Jun 2017 9:23 am

ecureilx wrote:
of course, rates, service fee and ...

Online payment. That's for me.

I just go to DBS initiate a transfer and next working day, it's sent.

Pay2Home had system to initiate online remittance but had to make a request, then go to DBS online, transfer to P2H, then email P2H, and hope they complete the transaction soon. Often it was not done first thing the next working day.

Though P2H has partner agencies for self collection, that's moot for my needs, as I only do bank transfer. Remittance isn't as easy as it could be as occasionally P2H insists I had to prove who I am, to comply with rules.


Thank you so much for your insight, ecureilx!

I guess they really can't drop the "proving that you are who you say you are" part because this is kinda the regulations they need to follow to continue doing business here. I think all of the them could work on their customer experience/journey though. Looking at the take up of DBS, I think they've done pretty well on this.

Again, I can't thank you enough for your patience and your time for this. :)

jesa01
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2017

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby jesa01 » Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:51 am

heycharles wrote:I use the bank that costs the lowest transfer fee. many banks are giving advantages on those benefit, so you should look up which one you would like to choose!


HeyCharles, thanks!

Is Service fee the only criterion that you would look at to decide on sending your money?

What if the Service fee = $0, but FX is a bit less favorable that those with service fees, would you still choose the $0 service fees?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10468
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: SURVEY: What remittance services do you use to send money out of Singapore?

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 14 Jun 2017 11:46 am

jesa01 wrote:
heycharles wrote:I use the bank that costs the lowest transfer fee. many banks are giving advantages on those benefit, so you should look up which one you would like to choose!


HeyCharles, thanks!

Is Service fee the only criterion that you would look at to decide on sending your money?

What if the Service fee = $0, but FX is a bit less favorable that those with service fees, would you still choose the $0 service fees?


Mate, it's simple arithmetic. You want to send X dollars. You add up the fees and the FX rate and choose the lowest. Who cares how they break up the amount they are going to whack you for?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Surveys”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests