Singapore Expats

insomnia - noises that might help..

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
taxico
Director
Director

insomnia - noises that might help..

Post by taxico » Mon, 22 May 2017 6:57 pm

i've struggled with insomnia for a large part of my life.

for a long time, i've had access to a large range of medication which i rotate through to help myself fall asleep and not be dependent on any one particular med.

last november i bought a subscription to brain.fm because... well, it was on sale (lifetime subscription) for some ridiculous price like $59 or somesuch...

i was quite skeptical about it and pondered over the sale for a few days, but reflecting on the rough nights i did not want to use any medication to sleep, i decided to give it a go.

going through the different noises (SLEEP category) they had, night after night (my wife sleeps just fine but did find the music quite comical), i found one that suited me particularly well and i'd say it works (not as quickly as i wanted, but was already explained on their website without any purchase).

i believe they have a trial. so if you have problems with sleep, get a trial, then maybe get another trial, and perhaps a third. if it works for you and you want to sign up, google for their lifetime subscription and consider that.

i am not affiliated with anyone/thing that is related to that web site. this is just a product i've used and worked for me (and now my dad, who is also an insomniac).

fair warning - you will need to sleep with speakers turned on or use a pair of ear phones (i think they recommend using a sleep mask with speakers built-in). i personally use a small bluetooth speaker placed near my pillow because i can't sleep with earphones in my ear.

you will also need to stream the music from a computer or phone to your speaker/earphones. (someone i know extracted the stream for me so that's my workaround.)

if you can't do the streaming speakers or earphones/mask thing, then this product is probably not for you.

i hope it works for you like it did for me!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Digitizer15

Re: insomnia - noises that might help..

Post by Digitizer15 » Fri, 26 May 2017 7:03 pm

Some people says that rain or train sound helps them to sleep.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 27 May 2017 8:40 am

Years ago, before the internet, I took my cassette player into some undergrowth in Bukit Timah and recorded 30 minutes of crickets going to town. I didn't have sleep issues, but thought the sound of crickets was a great way to fall asleep all the same.

Yeah, rain and distant thunder also would do the trick.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 27 May 2017 10:01 am

Out of curiosity (I am more a "somaniac" type) I tried to find some of their (brain.fm) samples but only found relaxing ones on Youtube. Judging from them this appears intended to actively interfere with brain waves - lots of modulations, rather than white noise type (rain, fans, vacuum cleaners).

Sia White

Post by Sia White » Tue, 27 Jun 2017 9:01 pm

Thank you for this information. I have never heard before of this radio. I know that sound waves could affect our mood, though. I am going to check this.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 04 Jul 2017 6:48 pm

there's allegedly science behind brain.fm - i never bothered going through the mumbo jumbo.

i have used their "work" tunes and found it works as advertised as well - this includes certain tunes that gave me headaches or made me feel generally unwell and were not suitable.

i don't meditate nor nap, so i use only the sleep and work categories.

x9 - i'm sure if you got a trial subscription, you'd be able to extract the audio files easily. my guy did it in like... 15 seconds. you'd delete it afterwards, of course... : )
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

davelim90

Post by davelim90 » Sun, 16 Jul 2017 10:49 am

Have you guys ever try essence oil . (Agarwood)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

joan721

Post by joan721 » Thu, 17 Aug 2017 9:16 am

Calcium and Vitamin D: Important at Every Age
Get yourself the right supplements to maintain at optimal #Health
I recommend one type of calcium which take 5mins for intestine to absorb and help my friends to overcome their sleep issue and improve the quality of sleep.