Singapore Expats

Considering NUS, ex-SGP citizen.

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Sjipos

Considering NUS, ex-SGP citizen.

Post by Sjipos » Mon, 15 May 2017 2:30 pm

Hello,

I was born in Singapore, but moved to Canada when I was 6 and have since renounced my citizenship. I know that I can reclaim my citizenship at 18, but if I wish to apply to NUS or any other uni in Singapore will I be subjected to the same criteria as international citizens? In addition, would I need any additional qualifications? Lastly, would there be any complications with the compulsory military service?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Considering NUS, ex-SGP citizen.

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 15 May 2017 4:31 pm

Sjipos wrote:Hello,

I was born in Singapore, but moved to Canada when I was 6 and have since renounced my citizenship. I know that I can reclaim my citizenship at 18, but if I wish to apply to NUS or any other uni in Singapore will I be subjected to the same criteria as international citizens? In addition, would I need any additional qualifications? Lastly, would there be any complications with the compulsory military service?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
If you renounced your SC quite early, NS is out of question

As for how they will classify you, I can bet they will put you as International students.

In the grand scheme of things now, even first generation citizens are placed behind second / third gen citizens .. or so I am told :(