Singapore Expats Forum

Do you all not welcome the local??

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Chrrisy2

Do you all not welcome the local??

Postby Chrrisy2 » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 8:59 pm

Hi all,
I felt so weird for been ignore everytime I post a message for someone when I indicated that I am interested to join in their activity...

I wonder maybe this site just do not welcome a local gal who wish to expand her social circle to the world just for friendship.
I am not a sarong party girl, just someone who have lost contact with most of my friends because of my busy travelling schedule due to work.
And thought through this site I can reestablish closed and sincere friends again..

I wonder..... can someone tell me please...

chrissy

honestguest

Postby honestguest » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 9:36 pm

well, since you're asking, perhaps it's because the people whose activities you want to join in think you might not fit in. I'm sorry, but your grammar isn't the best - maybe you won't be able to communicate with these people. Language is a very important tool. Maybe you should go look for a local forum to find some new friends.

I figure you'll probably take offence to what I just said, but babe, you asked for an opinion. Now you've got one.

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:10 pm

Maybe its because groups tend to get 'clique'ish on forums...? I'm not entirely local, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my communication skills or grammar and I still rarely receive responses to my posts.

Allibert

maybe

Postby Allibert » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:21 pm

you need to make more of effort. i am just one of the people who try to organise things on this forum but people posting a reply sayin "I'm soandsp. Mail me for your next meeting" just doesn;t cut it. People who organise things here provide an opportunity for people to get to know other people.

They post where and where events are taking place but it's up to the people who are interested to make the effort to actually turn up. i actually get fed up with people who say "Bowling, great" and then never turn up.

Or people who ask what the exact make-up of the group is, how old, what colour socks they wear, etc.

I'm not saying this applies in your case but the same applies here as in any other country. if you want to meet new people, you're the one who has to make the effort.

Hope this helps

bioalb

don't worry :-)

Postby bioalb » Fri, 11 Feb 2005 1:14 am

well, Chrissy, first of all, please, just ignore hoenstguest's opinion and let him/her gather with his/her "perfect English" restricted (referring to their mind opening) circle of friends...

I'd rather agree with Allibert instead... an effort has to be made; but in your case, I don't know whether you made it or not, so I can't tell actually.

I'm a European guy and personally, I like to meet Singaporeans (as I already did through this forum) exactly the same way as I like to meet non-locals... I actually think this forum is a great opportunity for locals to mingle with expats and that's one reason why I like it

Hope this will help :-)
Please feel free to drop me a line if you care...

Luke

Re: don't worry :-)

Postby Luke » Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:25 am

Well, Chrissy, maybe your recipient changes its mind or left the country or became ill etc.. I dont know. But I would always answer, even if I changed my mind, independently if I am mailing with locals or nonelocals, this is just out of a 'respectful' manner... good luck. See you hopefully @ one of those nice gatherings, happening sometimes wednesday nites or Sat. evenings :)

chrissy

Thank you all

Postby chrissy » Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:11 am

Thank you all for the encouragement.
for a little while I had turned into an insecure baby…
You are right Allibert… friendship need effort. That is why over the years I lost contact with most of my Local friends. After all the traveling (was out of Singapore for more than six month every year!!!) when I returned to Singapore I felt so foreign as well… this explains why I am here at this expat site. I will make more effort..I will.
Well..this is a new year and a new start, I commit to the possibility of connecting with a group of sincere and truthful friends.

Yoda

Re: Thank you all

Postby Yoda » Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:55 am

'Friends and wines improve with age.' is said... but there are always '2', so if u dont get any response even u try to keep in touch, then u shud forget it. Try to improve/maintain those where your friends enjoy the friendship... 8)

Very curious

Postby Very curious » Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:08 am

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what is friendship?? What kind of friend will you be making in this forum???

Very curious

very curious as well

Postby very curious as well » Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:25 am

u did not get the topic buddy... this topic here is not about friendships on THIS forum... just read what chrissy wrote first :shock:

bioalb

Postby bioalb » Sat, 12 Feb 2005 2:35 pm

well, "verycurious", my guess is that there is no answer to your question.
Friendships will depend on the people involved rather than how you met them.
In such non-specialized forum (what's more general than "events, gathering, making friends"?) you will meet a large variety of people... but that's the fun of it...if you already know what kind of people, then why bother?

Proud2bSIN

Postby Proud2bSIN » Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:48 am

Dear Chrissy

I know exactly what you mean - I'd spent 2 years out of Singapore and since I got back, I have been traveling for my work. Like yourself, I have lost a lot of my friends along the way and I must admit that I do not make enough effort to keep them. I like rollerblading and I try to do that every weekend in ECP. So, if you're interested, I'll drop you a line at your hotmail address.

Also, I must commend you for your graciousness in accepting honestguest's opinion. I would have taken offense to what he/she said. I bet English is the only language honest guest knows. I agree that language is a powerful and important medium of communication, but having to be grammatically correct in the way you communicate with others in order to fit in?!?!? ... gosh, it just doesn't sit well with me - Sorry.

As . said, let honest guest stick to her/his grammatically correct English (I wouldn't even say her/his English is perfect) speaking group of friends. People like honestguest are not genuinely into the local culture or have the love of ASIA, otherwise, he/she would have loved to mingle with the locals to know more about our culture (trust me, I know a lot of them who are like that) and you really don't need people like that in your social circle.

Anyway, stay committed in developing new friendships this year and I know this year will be a great year for you! :D

Proud to be female Singaporean

chrissy

Thank you again

Postby chrissy » Sun, 13 Feb 2005 5:12 pm

Proud2bSIN wrote:Dear Chrissy

I know exactly what you mean - I'd spent 2 years out of Singapore and since I got back, I have been traveling for my work. Like yourself, I have lost a lot of my friends along the way and I must admit that I do not make enough effort to keep them. I like rollerblading and I try to do that every weekend in ECP. So, if you're interested, I'll drop you a line at your hotmail address.

Also, I must commend you for your graciousness in accepting honestguest's opinion. I would have taken offense to what he/she said. I bet English is the only language honest guest knows. I agree that language is a powerful and important medium of communication, but having to be grammatically correct in the way you communicate with others in order to fit in?!?!? ... gosh, it just doesn't sit well with me - Sorry.

As . said, let honest guest stick to her/his grammatically correct English (I wouldn't even say her/his English is perfect) speaking group of friends. People like honestguest are not genuinely into the local culture or have the love of ASIA, otherwise, he/she would have loved to mingle with the locals to know more about our culture (trust me, I know a lot of them who are like that) and you really don't need people like that in your social circle.

Anyway, stay committed in developing new friendships this year and I know this year will be a great year for you! :D

Proud to be female Singaporean

Hello girl,
Thank you for you message,
I really wouldn't take offend for what Honest guest had commended. That is why I couldn't even bother to react to his message.
I usually have my secretary do all my typing.
I run my own business and most of my customer are European and everyone understands my spoken English. By the way, they may not realize we speak more than just ENGLISH in Asia. I have to speak Bahasa Indonesia, Mandarin, and dialects like Cantonese, Hokkein and Teochew beside English… it pretty tough right!!
Do keep in touch... rollerblading sound good!!! I was at East coast park biking yesterday..

chrissy

Re: Thank you all

Postby chrissy » Sun, 13 Feb 2005 5:26 pm

Yoda wrote:'Friends and wines improve with age.' is said... but there are always '2', so if u dont get any response even u try to keep in touch, then u shud forget it. Try to improve/maintain those where your friends enjoy the friendship... 8)

Hi Yoda,
that is so right....I only wished to to connect with friends that are interested to built quality friendship. Everything is perfect in its own timing and whoever mean to cross each other path will meet someday.

snuffy

Postby snuffy » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:46 am

Sounds like a number of East Coast bladers around. Would be interested to meet other bladers.

Would love to join in if there's any such meetups!