Singapore Expats

3rd PR application - Sept 2017

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
phamtieugiao

Post by phamtieugiao » Sat, 13 May 2017 4:51 am

I'm Vietnamese, male, 28 years old and single (still :( ). I know that I belong to the unfavorable sex and race.

I came to Singapore in 2008 to study at NTU (Computer Science). I graduated in 2012 and had been working for a start up since then, as an ethical hacker (the title is Software Engineer though). I changed job once in 2015 to join an MNC as an ethical hacker again (the title is still Software Engineer).

I applied twice:
- In 2015 at salary of $4025 (1st company), rejected with "you are welcome to work with your current pass"
- In early 2016 at salary of $5400 (2nd company), with the same message.

I just got promoted earlier this year and my current salary is $6960. So I decided to give another try.

Would there be any chance for me this 3rd attempt?
Last edited by phamtieugiao on Sat, 13 May 2017 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: 3rd PR application - Sept 2017

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 13 May 2017 5:37 pm

phamtieugiao wrote:I'm Vietnamese, male, 28 years old and single (still :( ). I know that I belong to the unfavorable sex and race.

I came to Singapore in 2008 to study at NTU (Computer Science). I graduated in 2012 and had been working for a start up since then, as an ethical hacker (the title is Software Engineer though). I changed job once in 2015 to join a French MNC as an ethical hacker (the title is still Software Engineer).

I applied twice:
- In 2015 at salary of $4025 (1st company), rejected with "you are welcome to work with your current pass"
- In early 2016 at salary of $5400 (2nd company), with the same message.

I just got promoted earlier this year and my current salary is $6960. So I decided to give another try.

Would there be any chance for me this 3rd attempt?
You would have decent chance because
- You have worked in SG for close to 5 years
- Your Salary has increased too.

phamtieugiao

Post by phamtieugiao » Sat, 13 May 2017 5:57 pm

singaporeflyer wrote: You would have decent chance because
Thanks flying for the motivational reply. Do you have any suggestion on what else could be done to increase the chance, please?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 13 May 2017 9:12 pm

phamtieugiao wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote: You would have decent chance because
Thanks flying for the motivational reply. Do you have any suggestion on what else could be done to increase the chance, please?
There is no short or quick fix to get PR.

phamtieugiao

Post by phamtieugiao » Tue, 16 May 2017 12:51 am

Btw, although my race is not Chinese, I'm kinda into Chinese culture. I have Singaporean friends and colleagues, and I speak to them in Mandarin. I listened to Chinese songs, I watched Chinese drama on TV. I've always celebrated CNY in Singapore with the locals. Does that help? is there anything that I can do to show that to ICA?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Tue, 16 May 2017 1:16 am

phamtieugiao wrote:Btw, although my race is not Chinese, I'm kinda into Chinese culture. I have Singaporean friends and colleagues, and I speak to them in Mandarin. I listened to Chinese songs, I watched Chinese drama on TV. I've always celebrated CNY in Singapore with the locals. Does that help? is there anything that I can do to show that to ICA?
"Kinda into Chinese culture" or recommendation letters from friends and colleagues will not help much. You need birth certificate to prove your ethnicity, as seen in another thread

viewtopic.php?t=113915

phamtieugiao

Post by phamtieugiao » Tue, 16 May 2017 2:27 am

jamie9vardy wrote: "Kinda into Chinese culture" or recommendation letters from friends and colleagues will not help much. You need birth certificate to prove your ethnicity, as seen in another thread
viewtopic.php?t=113915
Alright then, how unfavorable is it for Vietnamese? I mean, compared to other races.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 May 2017 4:01 am

Pretty rough, truth be known.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 16 May 2017 3:41 pm

Just keep plugging away ....

If the wind is in your favour you could get approval.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Sat, 27 May 2017 12:25 am

Hi all, I ever posted my situation regarding my PR application,unfortunately was rejected on April 2016. Now I applying my PR again for the 3rd times on Jan 2017. I am currently changed a new job still F&B. Do I need to update ICA regarding my new EP and my salary status? My salary just increased not much few hundred dollars. Do I still need to update ICA?
I also would like to know my PR chances to be approved and here is my update:-
1. Done a donation to Charity Organization and this is showed in my 2017 Income Tax which is few hundred dollars rebates on my income tax.
2. Took a 5 months part time diploma course to upgrade myself even though I already had Degree Cert. (Camford International College)
Once again to introduced myself, I am female Malaysian Chinese, 32 years old, Single. I am stayed in Singapore for 7 years now, My Sister already a Singaporean and currently stay with her. I didn't put a high hope due to last 2 attempts but still wish to listen from all your advice.

bambolo

Post by bambolo » Sun, 09 Jun 2019 1:15 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Pretty rough, truth be known.
Hi, any chance you can compare chance of getting PR for Vietnamese vs. Nepali?

I’m Vietnamese and husband is Nepali. We’ve applied twice as a family w our son, w my husband as main applicant, in 2014 and 2017. We want to try again but wonder if we should apply w me as main applicant instead.

Thanks for any advices.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Jun 2019 1:27 am

If you applied as a family, it really doesn't matter all that much if both are working as both will be considered as it's a family application.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bambolo

Post by bambolo » Sun, 09 Jun 2019 1:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you applied as a family, it really doesn't matter all that much if both are working as both will be considered as it's a family application.
Ah, this helps a great deal. Thanks!