Singapore Expats

Help / Advice needed on lifting of entry ban

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ameaj

Help / Advice needed on lifting of entry ban

Post by ameaj » Fri, 12 May 2017 10:53 am

Hi.

This is my situation. Would really appreciate some help/advice. I'm a Singaporean and am married to a PRC for 2 years already. We registered our marriage in China in Mar 2015. She was deported back to China on Sept 2013 after serving prison time and a fine for overstaying her visa >90days. I have been trying to appeal for her to enter Singapore but to no avail. Have mailed in about 7 appeal letters, including 1 from my MP. But all of my appeals were rejected. I was desperated enough to approached a Joseph Yang (ex ICA IO who opened his own paralegal firm specializing in contravening cases). But before I could come up with his retainer fees of $4500, he vanished. I would really appreciate some help and/or advice. Thank you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Help / Advice needed on lifting of entry ban

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 12 May 2017 12:03 pm

I personally think this a lost cause. Perhaps look to move together to a third country (Malaysia?).

Relying on dubious means (how will an ex ICA IO influence his colleagues?) is not really the answer.

China actually is a great place for go getters as well (esp if you have some language skills).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ameaj

Post by ameaj » Fri, 12 May 2017 6:07 pm

Thank you. Most probably will relocate to China after paying off my HDB loan. If by then she still cannot enter Singapore. Meanwhile can only continue to appeal and hope for a miracle. I'm only a bus driver with little to no skills, so a bit apprensive about relocating. But what to do? If she cannot come, then I will have to go to her. ☺☺☺

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 12 May 2017 6:44 pm

Her jail term was because of her overstay only or also something else?
Have you tried to register your marriage in Singapore - I mean not re-register, but how the authorities know you are actually married to her?

ameaj

Post by ameaj » Fri, 12 May 2017 6:59 pm

Yah. Her jail time is for overstaying. Didn't register my marriage in Singapore. How to? But I did nominate her in my CPF, stating that she is my wife. Also I attached a copy of our marriage cert to ICA when I was appealing.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 12 May 2017 7:59 pm

I don't know, but I guess it may be a factor for this whole ban management whether the authorities consider your wife your wife, or somebody completely strange to you.

Have you talked (in person) to an ICA officer about the whole situation or just paper appeals?

ameaj

Post by ameaj » Fri, 12 May 2017 8:06 pm

Only spoken to an ICA officer in person the first time I went down to appeal. She told me to write appeal letter and concluded the interview after 5 min. At that point in time, wasn't married yet. Well, I guess I should go down personally and see what ICA have to say about this case. Thank you for pointing it out for me.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 12 May 2017 8:39 pm

You may not get anything out of the visit, but surely with such a high stake it is the thing you should try. ICA will never promise anything but sometimes, you may get indications/impression as of the chances.
Also, I would ask about applying LTVP for her.

ameaj

Post by ameaj » Fri, 12 May 2017 8:42 pm

Ok. Will go down next week. Thank you.