Singapore Expats

Looking for advice for Vet Career

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
buggy.88

Looking for advice for Vet Career

Post by buggy.88 » Tue, 02 May 2017 7:45 pm

Hi, I'm a Singaporean and helping my girlfriend do some research.

She's a Vet having acquired her degree in a Chinese university. Has a few years of experience and is currently practicing in China. I think AVA will almost definitely not recognize her degree. So if she moves here, she'll take a big hit career-wise.

I'm not a vet, I have very little knowledge of the industry here besides what I get from reading the official websites (AVA, SVA). I would like to find out prospects for her vet career if she moves, and what is needed to qualify as a vet in the future. Also, I greatly appreciate if any supportive vets here can help.

Thank you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Looking for advice for Vet Career

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 May 2017 7:49 pm

buggy.88 wrote:Hi, I'm a Singaporean and helping my girlfriend do some research.

She's a Vet having acquired her degree in a Chinese university. Has a few years of experience and is currently practicing in China. I think AVA will almost definitely not recognize her degree. So if she moves here, she'll take a big hit career-wise.

I'm not a vet, I have very little knowledge of the industry here besides what I get from reading the official websites (AVA, SVA). I would like to find out prospects for her vet career if she moves, and what is needed to qualify as a vet in the future. Also, I greatly appreciate if any supportive vets here can help.
Thank you.
Why move here? China is a much better prospect for both of you I suspect.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 04 May 2017 8:45 am

Hi - I don't respond to PM's of general interest.

To answer the questions in your PM though I would suggest you visit some local vets. Have a talk to them - it's possible that your S/O may be able to requalify or work as a vet assistant. Another field to consider is sales (of veterinary products). Her background would be very useful in that field but she does not need a formal qual.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 May 2017 10:54 am

buggy.88 wrote:Hi, I'm a Singaporean and helping my girlfriend do some research.

Thank you.
The market for Vets is pretty tight, most vets ending up as assistants in Pet shop and such !

After all, there's no so-called farming in Singapore, other than the few poultry farms and that's about it.

Malaysia has a better demand.