Singapore Expats Forum

Need advice on apply PR or citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
streetvendor38

Need advice on apply PR or citizenship

Postby streetvendor38 » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 10:44 am

Hi all,

I need some advices from you guys. My family profiles are below

Myself
- Race: Vietnamese
- Education: Bachelor Degree, NUS
- Annual income: 72K
- 1st citizenship application (wife not applying) was rejected in 2016 after 8 months wait. I changed job 1 month before my citizenship interview appointment. During the interview the ICA officer told me that they need to KIV my application for another 6 months due to job change.

My wife
- Race: Vietnamese
- Education: Master Degree, Australian Uni (Singapore campus)
- Annual income: 45K
- Status: LTVP. Came to Singapore in 2011 after our marriage and did some studies in Singapore. Only started working in early 2015.
- PR application (under my sponsorship) was rejected 3 times in 2014, 2015 and 2016 respectively after 3-4 months wait.
- Now she is pregnant and expecting a baby boy in the next few months.

My goal is to eventually get citizenship for the whole family. We have decided long time ago that we would sink root in Singapore and call it our home.

My enquiries are:
1. Does changing job has an impact on the PR/citizenship application? I thought we change job for a better pay so it should be a positive factor, isn't it?
2. When my newborn son is born, should I get LTVP for him first then apply citizenship as whole family? Are my newborn son and my wife eligible to be included in the application?
3. If #2 is not possible due to my wife is not eligible, should I apply citizenship with my newborn son? (From ICA explanatory note, the wife has to be PR for 2 years but does not mention about the child status requirement so I assume the child on LTVP is eligible to be included in the citizenship application?)
4. If it is not advisable to do either #2 and #3, should I apply PR for my newborn son and my wife first? Then after they both get PR, wait for 2 years (for my wife to be eligible) and apply citizenship for whole family?

I am not sure which route to go and looks better in terms of commitment to sink root in Singapore.

Appreciate if you guys could give me some advices.

Thank you.

bro75
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Need advice on apply PR or citizenship

Postby bro75 » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 12:55 pm

As far as I know, you can apply for citizenship for your entire family if you and your spouse are PRs and your child is on an LTVP. I am not sure if you can apply citizenship for your whole family if only you are the PR. According to ICA website, an adult needs to be PR before becoming a citizen while a child can become a citizen by descent.

lot286

Postby lot286 » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 1:19 pm

HI. my family and i were in a similar situation 2 years ago. I was a PR, my wife was LTVP and we had a kick (LTVP).

applied for my kid's PR - > rejected after 3 months
After that, I applied for citizenship for myself and my kid -> accepted after 10 months wait.
At the same time, applied for PR for my wife (who was on ltvP) -> accepted after 6 months wait.
Wife is invited to be a Singaporean after 2 years of PR (stated in the welcome letter)

I believe the government wants you to demonstrate your desire to sink 'roots'.

streetvendor38

Postby streetvendor38 » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 1:38 pm

Hi lot286,

Thanks for sharing.

May I know whether you got LTVP for your kid before you applied citizenship together with him/her?

When you said at the same time you applied PR for your wife, meaning your wife PR approval came before your citizenship approval? How long is the gap between your citizenship application date and your wife PR application date?

lot286

Postby lot286 » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 1:45 pm

I applied for citizenship for myself and my kid first, and after that i applied for my wife's PR. the gap was roughly 4 months (inclusive of wait for interview slots).

i suggest you plan it out, in terms of timing and wait for interview slots.

I noticed that after i completed my citizenship formalities, her PR application was suddenly put on hold. And 1 month after that, her application was approved.

I strongly believe that my daughter's PR application was rejected because the government was trying to persuade us to be Singaporeans...

streetvendor38

Postby streetvendor38 » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 1:56 pm

Hi lot286,

Thanks. Is the below the correct sequence in your case?

1. Submit citizenship application for you (PR) with your daughter (LTVP) online using e-SC.
2. Schedule an appointment on e-Appointment for citizenship application interview and documents submission.
3. Attend citizenship interview with your daughter any submit the required documents on the appointment date (was your wife required to attend the interview also?).
4. Schedule the PR application appointment for your wife on e-Appointment.
5. Submit PR application for your wife on the appointment date.

You mean 4 months is the gap between your citizenship interview appointment date and your wife PR application appointment date (ie. #3 and #5 above)?

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 2:16 pm

streetvendor38 wrote:Hi lot286,

Thanks. Is the below the correct sequence in your case?

1. Submit citizenship application for you (PR) with your daughter (LTVP) online using e-SC.
2. Schedule an appointment on e-Appointment for citizenship application interview and documents submission.
3. Attend citizenship interview with your daughter any submit the required documents on the appointment date (was your wife required to attend the interview also?).
4. Schedule the PR application appointment for your wife on e-Appointment.
5. Submit PR application for your wife on the appointment date.

You mean 4 months is the gap between your citizenship interview appointment date and your wife PR application appointment date (ie. #3 and #5 above)?

You are analyzing too much. The gap between the citizenship interview and PR application has nothing to do with the outcomes of both the applications.

Please note that, if you try to follow exactly what others have done, does not mean that the result will be the same. We have seen cases where 2 identical profiles, very similar to each other been, where 1 is approved and other is rejected.

streetvendor38

Postby streetvendor38 » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 2:27 pm

Hi singaporeflyer,

I understand that if I follow exactly what others have done, the outcome might not be the same. I am just trying to seek advice based on my current situation and try my luck.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 2:31 pm

streetvendor38 wrote:Hi singaporeflyer,

I understand that if I follow exactly what others have done, the outcome might not be the same. I am just trying to seek advice based on my current situation and try my luck.

Agree. But looks like you are not asking advise on your case. If I read the last post from you, you are trying to sequence and analyze what has happened in another case and trying to follow the same.

lot286

Postby lot286 » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 2:46 pm

good luck to you, i have replied your PM. hang tough, you'll get there :)

streetvendor38

Postby streetvendor38 » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks lot286 for your encouragement :D

Bestm

Postby Bestm » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 11:11 pm

Hi..

I need some advice for my citizenship application form

I am amila and my wife Singaporean and i was took my PR with in 3 and half months after the apply before two and half years ago...and I am doing now small delivery business

And no kid's

Pls advice me how about my citizenship approval rate. .

Thanks
For all

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 11:24 pm

If it's based on your English, I wouldn't bet a wooden nickle on getting it. #-o