Singapore Expats

Singapore Retail Shopping in Danger

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Singapore Retail Shopping in Danger

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 4:50 pm

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 5:09 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:yet another article

https://blog.moneysmart.sg/shopping/pay ... l-trouble/
I buy on-line everything I can if it has small value and it's not needed very urgently.

I will NOT buy on-line:
- an expensive (>$500) stuff, e.g. a camera (unless I have no other choice an paying with paypal)
- food that is of critical quality (e.g. fresh salmon)
- critical things needed with a week (e.g. something needed for an overseas trip).

At this point, I believe I already spend on-line well over 90% of my money to be spent for regular shopping.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 07 May 2017 5:21 pm

I actually refuse to shop in Singapore unless I really have to. It's just such a profoundly annoying experience each and every time. Horrendous service, absurd prices, poor selection...

But the whole system is a bit whacked...one or two companies own all the buildings, and set rents that are not reflective of reality. Everything is managed from the top down and it doesn't particularly seem to matter to them if their malls are half empty (or private residences for that matter). And/or they lack the ability to look at the situation and the reality of the market and make changes.

I've always wondered if this place is a house of cards will fall down one day.

community@lithan

Post by community@lithan » Tue, 09 May 2017 11:45 am

brick and mortar shops are in danger but i guess they are still necessary as some products have to be tried on as its too risky to buy online and the older generation may not be so familiar with it and they may feel that paying through online channels are not safe so, i guess an omni channel strategy wld work best