Any recommendation for international mover

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

One World International School
Post Reply
dtdrummer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 12:28 pm

Any recommendation for international mover

Post by dtdrummer » Mon, 10 Apr 2017 12:46 pm

Dear All,

We are planning to move from Singapore to Melbourne in July, and only 1 king size bed, 2 bookshelves, 1 TV stand, and 10 boxes of books and clothes are shipping.

We are wondering that any recommendation for international Movers.

Many thanks.

summersummer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 3:52 pm

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by summersummer » Fri, 05 May 2017 3:14 pm

Hi. We are moving from Singapore to Melbourne in July too. Have you decided on international Mover? Maybe we should use the same mover so that our things can depart around the same time using same container.

Piwacket
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 5:27 pm

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by Piwacket » Mon, 28 Jan 2019 5:46 pm

I sorely regret hiring Raffles Relocation. This sloppy company made a nightmare of my move from Singapore to Shanghai. When my shipment arrived in Shanghai, I discovered that Raffles Relocation had broken my irreplaceable antique lamp, broken another heirloom table lamp, and broken my expensive teakwood TV console. Although Raffles Relocation specifically promised to pack several of these fragile items inside wooden crates, they neglected to do so, packing them only in flimsy cardboard boxes. Several boxes arrived crushed, dented and only loosely and haphazardly packed. It looked as if they were literally thrown, dropped on the floor, or knocked into walls. Although a few items were insured, Raffles Relocation ignored our emails requesting compensation. And when we tried to phone them, they did not return our calls. We finally had to make a trip to Singapore to go to their accounting company office in-person to get payment of our claim. The insurance payment that we finally received after many weeks of waiting was inadequate to cover the damages, nor could it replace our one-of-a-kind treasures broken by these sloppy Movers. I seldom write reviews, but my experience with Raffles Relocation was so poor, I want to warn other people looking for #SingaporeMovers. Avoid #RafflesRelocation at all costs. Other Movers are more expensive, but I’ve learned the hard way, you get what you pay for. Raffles Relocation was a bad bargain at any price.

DeepBlue80
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 3:49 pm

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by DeepBlue80 » Tue, 29 Jan 2019 10:30 am

I agree. Raffles Relocation are incompetent, unprofessional, careless, arrogant, etc ...

I can only strongly recommend that they should not be used ... unless you want your belongings damaged/broken and also be blamed for it !!!

I had no choice but to take them to court.

Foard
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 6:56 pm

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by Foard » Sun, 21 Nov 2021 7:54 pm

What movers companies would people recommend and how long ago did you use them?



I'm aware of the likes of Biddulphs, Crowne, Pickfords and Stuttafords Van Lines and Move Cube. Any others?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38885
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 1:40 am

Are you moving from or to Singapore? Coming from where or going to where?
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 1:28 am

Shalom Movers is pretty reputable, I see their moving vans and boxes everywhere, my observation is that it’s one of the more popular moving companies in the country.

MOCHS
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 8:43 pm

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:08 pm

Just because you see them everywhere (but haven’t used them?) doesn’t mean they’re good. The Google reviews say otherwise.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38885
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:31 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 26 Nov 2021 1:28 am
Shalom Movers is pretty reputable, I see their moving vans and boxes everywhere, my observation is that it’s one of the more popular moving companies in the country.
What a company claims and what the truth is on the ground can be widely apart. This is why, on this board, we don't recommend companies that we haven't personally used. Third party is advertising or inadvertent advertising on behalf of the company. If you sent that guy to Shalom Movers and he got bad service, your reputation is mud because you, in theory, recommended them when in reality all you were doing is advertising for Shalom because you didn't have any first hand knowledge of the company other than seeing advertising on the sides of trucks.

If you want to list moving companies, with any comments, e.g., results of a Google search, etc. that's fine, but don't make judgements unless you have actually used them or know somebody who did use them, e.g., friend, colleague, etc.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 5:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:31 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 26 Nov 2021 1:28 am
Shalom Movers is pretty reputable, I see their moving vans and boxes everywhere, my observation is that it’s one of the more popular moving companies in the country.
What a company claims and what the truth is on the ground can be widely apart. This is why, on this board, we don't recommend companies that we haven't personally used. Third party is advertising or inadvertent advertising on behalf of the company. If you sent that guy to Shalom Movers and he got bad service, your reputation is mud because you, in theory, recommended them when in reality all you were doing is advertising for Shalom because you didn't have any first hand knowledge of the company other than seeing advertising on the sides of trucks.

If you want to list moving companies, with any comments, e.g., results of a Google search, etc. that's fine, but don't make judgements unless you have actually used them or know somebody who did use them, e.g., friend, colleague, etc.
SMS, if you read my post carefully, you would see that I never passed a judgment on the quality of their services at all. I was very deliberate with my wording, I simply made an observation that this was one of the companies whose vans and boxes I see more frequently. Not once did I make any mention of the quality of their services, I just thought it would be nice to leave a suggestion and OP can go and do their own research if that’s what pleases them. Understand your point, but I don’t think I was guilty of third-party advertising at all.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 5:07 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:31 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 26 Nov 2021 1:28 am
Shalom Movers is pretty reputable, I see their moving vans and boxes everywhere, my observation is that it’s one of the more popular moving companies in the country.
What a company claims and what the truth is on the ground can be widely apart. This is why, on this board, we don't recommend companies that we haven't personally used. Third party is advertising or inadvertent advertising on behalf of the company. If you sent that guy to Shalom Movers and he got bad service, your reputation is mud because you, in theory, recommended them when in reality all you were doing is advertising for Shalom because you didn't have any first hand knowledge of the company other than seeing advertising on the sides of trucks.

If you want to list moving companies, with any comments, e.g., results of a Google search, etc. that's fine, but don't make judgements unless you have actually used them or know somebody who did use them, e.g., friend, colleague, etc.
Edit- double posted because internet lagged but have no way do delete the second post.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 5:10 am

MOCHS wrote:
Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:08 pm
Just because you see them everywhere (but haven’t used them?) doesn’t mean they’re good. The Google reviews say otherwise.
I understand that, I never said they were good. I said they were reputable (because I have friends who have used them and had pleasant experiences), and that they were popular. Neither adjective is indicative of quality. If you have a better recommendation I’m sure OP would appreciate it.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38885
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 12:12 pm

A reputable company or person is reliable and can be trusted.
You are well advised to buy your car through a reputable dealer.
Synonyms: respectable, good, excellent, reliable More Synonyms of reputable

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/di ... 0reputable


Additionally, nowhere in your original post did you make mention of the fact that you had friend or acquaintances who had utilized their services satisfactorily.

moderator
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

MOCHS
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 8:43 pm

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by MOCHS » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 3:00 pm

^ That too, 100%.

LF’s original post is akin to seeing McD everywhere and since it’s so common, it should be the best. :P

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: Any recommendation for international mover

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 3:37 am

MOCHS wrote:
Sat, 27 Nov 2021 3:00 pm
^ That too, 100%.

LF’s original post is akin to seeing McD everywhere and since it’s so common, it should be the best. :P
No. My original post would be akin to seeing McD everywhere and inferring that it must be popular. Nowhere did I make any mention of it being the best.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests