Singapore Expats

Wifes PR application rejected

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
nalgene

Re: Wifes PR application rejected

Post by nalgene » Mon, 10 Apr 2017 11:35 pm

Well, to be honest, Indian Nationals started the dirty tricks. So, the Government is playing your own game. You countrymen have been gaming the system here for 20 years.
Honestly I am lost here. What dirty tricks, as long as the PR application is concerned you fill up a form give your documents supporting your case and we wait, the ICA approves or rejects it.
I have not done any trickery in my PR application or any other thing for that matter. I follow the rule and that is one of the important things that I love about Singapore. Moreover I don't believe Singapore government/system can be gamed.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 12:36 am

nalgene wrote:
Well, to be honest, Indian Nationals started the dirty tricks. So, the Government is playing your own game. You countrymen have been gaming the system here for 20 years.
Honestly I am lost here. What dirty tricks, as long as the PR application is concerned you fill up a form give your documents supporting your case and we wait, the ICA approves or rejects it.
I have not done any trickery in my PR application or any other thing for that matter. I follow the rule and that is one of the important things that I love about Singapore. Moreover I don't believe Singapore government/system can be gamed.
What SMS is trying to tell you is that previously, it was easier to get PR. But, then Indian Nationals started flooding Singapore with PR requests, not because they really wanted to live permanently in Singapore but because they wanted to use Singapore PR as a stepping stone to get to another country and get PR there... think Australia, Canada, and the USA.

So, you pay the price. The Singapore government is now very wary of Indian Nationals. They have no way of knowing whether you legitimately are going to stay in Singapore or if you are just one more person passing through.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Wifes PR application rejected

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 7:18 am

nalgene wrote:Hiya,

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I need to divorce my wife and get a Singaporean one. :D
the guy hasn't mentioned how much blood he donated
does this help? does singapore government keep a track of this. Are there any preferred blood donation organizations that increases the chances of getting a PR, may be a Singaporean one?

few of my opinions.
marrying a local
- How many Indian guys who migrated to Singapore got married to a Singaporean Girl? As I am in the IT field and I know a lot of Indians, I know none,(might be wrong) but I do know some who got married to South Koreans and filipinos and one even to a the middle east, forgot the exact country. So the expectation to integrate into the country by marrying a Sg girl is unfair and is against our odds. Moreover encouraging people to get married in hope of getting a visa is not a healthy thing to have.
They might be refusing to give PR in the hope it will force the sponsor to give up their PR and move on, either home or Canada/Aus
Was not expecting this kind of dirty tactics from Singapore, a country with such high standards. A country which I strongly defended among my friends who has long migrated to other countries.
You might want to return some of the dowry though, if you negotiated a higher rate based on being able to get your wife Singapore PR..
Indian is a big country with lots of cultures, not sure about other parts of india, but where I live, we do not negotiate dowry and its a thing of past.
QFP ?? :D

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 7:42 am

nalgene wrote:
No it can't. Just do as your brothers do and jump to another country.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

nalgene

Post by nalgene » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 1:02 pm

What SMS is trying to tell you is that previously, it was easier to get PR. But, then Indian Nationals started flooding Singapore with PR requests, not because they really wanted to live permanently in Singapore but because they wanted to use Singapore PR as a stepping stone to get to another country and get PR there... think Australia, Canada, and the USA.

So, you pay the price. The Singapore government is now very wary of Indian Nationals. They have no way of knowing whether you legitimately are going to stay in Singapore or if you are just one more person passing through.
Thanks for clarifying that, but here are my personal opinion .

We can hardly call it a dirty trick.

People migrate of all sorts of reason, mostly to make their life better, may be better opportunity, more safety, more wealth etc. As of 2012 around 200K singaporeans are living abroad, with the most being in Australia, why? because they have better opportunity and life somewhere else. Can we blame them for living in the country for making their lives better with not having an intention of living there permanently? I sure cant. Every country which has a PR system has it because they have something to gain and people who take up PR in other countries also have something to gain. Both parties weight their pros and cons. So we are not giving anything for free.

I dont think Singapore government was that naive to expect all PR's to take up citizenship, for that matter I dont think any government do.

But I do understand the point that they are trying to get people out who don't want to live here permanently. But they could have done in a better way and a bit more transparent than not giving spouses and kids PR and forcing them out. That is not a Singapore which I defended.

They should have thought about people who lived their entire working life in SG, people for whom the thought of leaving SG never crossed their minds. They are now having think twice.

I can apply for Citizenship, if I have a son, I can send him for military service, and do all the things people here say, but as they are not transparent on what they want what if even after another 10 years my wife is still on LTVP, or worse they stop giving LTVP, what if they dont want any more Indian nationals?

If at all they could be more transparent.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 2:13 pm

They are very transparent here to say that even if a SC marries a foreigner, PR is not guaranteed immediately. They ask them to take LTVP first and show stability of marriage and finances, after which they grant PR. This if for SC.

But, being PR, don't you think that slightly tougher rules will apply? As per what you said, you got married recently and want PR immediately. Why not a LTVP, if you are serious enough to stay in SG for long?

Also you had said you had defended SG? how?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 3:32 pm

nalgene wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that, but here are my personal opinion .

We can hardly call it a dirty trick.

People migrate of all sorts of reason, mostly to make their life better, may be better opportunity, more safety, more wealth etc. As of 2012 around 200K singaporeans are living abroad, with the most being in Australia, why? because they have better opportunity and life somewhere else. Can we blame them for living in the country for making their lives better with not having an intention of living there permanently? I sure cant. Every country which has a PR system has it because they have something to gain and people who take up PR in other countries also have something to gain. Both parties weight their pros and cons. So we are not giving anything for free.
The word you lost in translation is the intention.

PeanutButterJam

Post by PeanutButterJam » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 5:14 pm

[quote="nalgene"]

I dont think Singapore government was that naive to expect all PR's to take up citizenship, for that matter I dont think any government do. [quote]

This I agree. PR does not necessarily lead to citizenship, and the Singapore govt is aware of that. The best thing about the government here, and also what I really like about them, is they are not afraid of having rules to ensure that the foreign PR demography here suits their agenda/plans. I do not think you should regard their refusal of your wife's PR as a way to force you out, rather you should see how else you can show them you are committed to this country for the next few years. Even Singaporeans with foreign wives do not get citizenship/PR right away why should you? If you want to compare Singapore with other countries then I guess you shouldnt have applied for PR here in the first place. Singapore is always, and has been different from other countries in the way they handle immigration.

PeanutButterJam

Post by PeanutButterJam » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 5:16 pm

nalgene wrote:
the guy hasn't mentioned how much blood he donated
does this help? does singapore government keep a track of this. Are there any preferred blood donation organizations that increases the chances of getting a PR, may be a Singaporean one?
[/quote]

For a minute, I have no idea if this is a tongue in cheek comment or the OP really meant what he asked.

PeanutButterJam

Post by PeanutButterJam » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 5:18 pm

PeanutButterJam wrote:
nalgene wrote:

I dont think Singapore government was that naive to expect all PR's to take up citizenship, for that matter I dont think any government do.

This I agree. PR does not necessarily lead to citizenship, and the Singapore govt is aware of that. The best thing about the government here, and also what I really like about them, is they are not afraid of having rules to ensure that the foreign PR demography here suits their agenda/plans. I do not think you should regard their refusal of your wife's PR as a way to force you out, rather you should see how else you can show them you are committed to this country for the next few years. Even Singaporeans with foreign wives do not get citizenship/PR right away why should you? If you want to compare Singapore with other countries then I guess you shouldnt have applied for PR here in the first place. Singapore is always, and has always been different from other countries in the way they handle immigration.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Wed, 12 Apr 2017 7:24 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
nalgene wrote:

And don't forget those who took PR purely so that they could buy an HDB then bugger off to Can/aus/NZ/UK whilst they rent it out. I personally knew 2 indian guys who did exactly that, moved away within a year of getting the HDB and rented it out the whole time afterwards, one even went back to Singapore 3 months before his REP was due to expiren 2014 to try and renew and keep his HDB. I don't know what happened as I lost touch but I hope they told him to do one
I HAVE MASTERS!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 12 Apr 2017 7:26 pm

JayCee wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
nalgene wrote:

And don't forget those who took PR purely so that they could buy an HDB then bugger off to Can/aus/NZ/UK whilst they rent it out. I personally knew 2 indian guys who did exactly that, moved away within a year of getting the HDB and rented it out the whole time afterwards, one even went back to Singapore 3 months before his REP was due to expiren 2014 to try and renew and keep his HDB. I don't know what happened as I lost touch but I hope they told him to do one
I thought PR's cant rent out HDB?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Wed, 12 Apr 2017 7:33 pm

Not any more I think, but they could back around 2008-10 which is when I'm talking about, and when a lot of the previously discussed abuse of the system took place
I HAVE MASTERS!