Singapore Expats

Advise on process of obtaining Long term Visa for Mother-in-law of an EP Holder

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
rajarshiman

Advise on process of obtaining Long term Visa for Mother-in-law of an EP Holder

Post by rajarshiman » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 3:50 pm

Hi , I am an EP holder working in Singapore and staying here with my Wife and Daughter. I earn more than 10k per month.
My Mother-in-law is planning to make a social visit and stay with us for a while. She is a pensioner and will sponsor her own trip and will not be a burden on me nor the the State of Singapore. How long can she stay with us and which category of visa should she apply for ? Pls advise.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Advise on process of obtaining Long term Visa for Mother-in-law of an EP Holder

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 4:04 pm

I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

rajarshiman

Re: Advise on process of obtaining Long term Visa for Mother-in-law of an EP Holder

Post by rajarshiman » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks for your note ... yes my wife is on DP ... she is a housewife here... does that help?

rajarshiman

Post by rajarshiman » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 4:22 pm

Hi PNGMK

I have gone thru the link shared by you ... it says that EP Holder with >10k income/month can bring his/her Parents for a long term ... however , I want to bring my Mother-in-law as she is a widow and staying alone in India. My wife is a DP holder as mentioned earlier but she is a house-wife ( no income)... pls advise if bringing my Mother-in-law for a long term is allowed for not?
thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Advise on process of obtaining Long term Visa for Mother-in-law of an EP Holder

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 5:03 pm

rajarshiman wrote:Hi PNGMK

I have gone thru the link shared by you ... it says that EP Holder with >10k income/month can bring his/her Parents for a long term ... however , I want to bring my Mother-in-law as she is a widow and staying alone in India. My wife is a DP holder as mentioned earlier but she is a house-wife ( no income)... pls advise if bringing my Mother-in-law for a long term is allowed for not?
thanks
since cousins imported all their in laws and locals started complaining, under new rules, NO, you can't bring in your MIL.

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 5:50 pm

rajarshiman wrote:Hi PNGMK

thanks
Not allowed. Two options:
- Your wife gets a job paying >10k and her own EP
- You get legally adopted by your MIL (fairly common in Japan for husbands to be adopted by the wife's family if the wife's family have no son, and the husband has a brother or two to continue the family name.)
Of course in this case you can't then bring in your parents

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 5:58 pm

Back to the original question.

She can apply for a tourist visa, and length of stay is whatever that is for Indian passport holders. Normally it can be extended to 89 days by applying for extensions.

Maximum time she can stay in SG in a year is 182 days (>183 days and she is resident) but if she starts coming here for long periods, immigration may or may not start asking questions.

Think of it as a service by ICA to henpecked husbands... ;)

"Yes darling, I would love for your mother to live with us, but the mean ICA won't let it happen..."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Advise on process of obtaining Long term Visa for Mother-in-law of an EP Holder

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 7:33 pm

okonu wrote:Back to the original question.

She can apply for a tourist visa, and length of stay is whatever that is for Indian passport holders. Normally it can be extended to 89 days by applying for extensions.

Maximum time she can stay in SG in a year is 182 days (>183 days and she is resident) but if she starts coming here for long periods, immigration may or may not start asking questions.

Think of it as a service by ICA to henpecked husbands... ;)

"Yes darling, I would love for your mother to live with us, but the mean ICA won't let it happen..."
Indians can apply for multiple entry visa, and ICA is a bit lenient in approving for older folks. But continued stay or attempts to extend beyond the limit per entry may see trouble.

Multiple entry = arrive, stay, go back "home" (not visa run .. ) and come back again. So OP, those are your choices.

Not being funny, if your MIL has nobody in India, then the truth is = move back.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 9:21 pm

^^^This is especially so if you have very young children. The ICA will see right through the ruse of a free nanny/maid/babysitter. You will have better luck with your own mother than you will with a mother in law. Probably your nerves will be better for it as well. But then the spouse might just cut you off.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Apr 2017 11:11 am

rajarshiman wrote:Thanks for your note ... yes my wife is on DP ... she is a housewife here... does that help?
AFAIK a DP cannot sponsor their mother nor can an EP sponsor their M-I-L. I do agree it seems a bit absurd as EP/DP are married and pretty much one contiguous family.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!