Singapore Expats Forum

What gives..? Is this the norm?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Babble

Postby Babble » Tue, 01 Mar 2005 4:37 pm

A critical analysis of the tone, language and style of your narration of events leads me inexorably to the conclusion that you were hitting on her and now posting this to convince your fiance otherwise.

Good attempt to cover up, but not quite good enough I'm afraid.

Postby Guest » Tue, 01 Mar 2005 5:28 pm

Babble wrote:A critical analysis of the tone, language and style of your narration of events leads me inexorably to the conclusion that you were hitting on her and now posting this to convince your fiance otherwise.

Good attempt to cover up, but not quite good enough I'm afraid.

Critical analysis? Buy a book or something - i'm sure it will do much more to relieve your boredom :lol:

moloch71
Regular
Regular

Postby moloch71 » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:13 am

agi wrote:Agreed. When I was in Singapore recently, I noticed that people didn't usually make eye contact, nor did they thank you if you opened a door for them, move out of their way, etc.
But people in Australia make eye contact and smile/say hi! That part is just a cultural thing, I guess.

Well besides the eye-contact thing, I find most of people's behaviour I've noticed I put down to the 'big city' mentality. I'm an Australian, and on general I've found Singaporeans really nice once you engage them. :)

But strangers in any BIG city can be completely different, they are surprised if you try to make any contact with them. It's like a lamppost has suddenly said "hello" !
The other day, I was behind a lady at a MRT station, she waved her purse a few times, and the scanner failed to register it. She had to dig to the bottom and take the card out for it to work. I tried to lighten her mood, by saying something flippant like "too much stuff" :)
She gave me a dark stare and stormed off. It wasnt like it was peak time and she was holding anyone up ! :?

Another example of big city mentality; I was crossing the street late at night (shh.. jaywalking ;) ). I noticed another person crossing a few meters up - she was oblivous to a approaching car, so I started whistling and shouting madly - luckily for her the cab spotted her last minute and drove around her. She took no notice of me at all. And the biggest kicker was, the people I was crossing the road to see thought I was a complete lunatic for trying to warn a stranger ! :shock:

Sometimes its odd for a simple country born guy to be surrounded by a sea of people, yet feel so alone ......

Jasmine Koh

Postby Jasmine Koh » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 3:09 pm

Hi! My reply may be a bit overdue since the post happened last month.
But STILL I wanna share my thoughts.
Let me just put it this way, many Singaporeans Hate caucasians because caucasians are an obnoxious snobbish lot. Nothing but "empty vessels", very little or in fact NOTHING up there. Think brainless, yet try to act act..
ps: I did not say this applies across the board so I won't take any flaming, but I believe 98% of them are guilty of that. Trying to act cool and superior when obviously one can even count the number of brain cells they have. Puke!

moloch71
Regular
Regular

Postby moloch71 » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 3:17 pm

98% doesn't constitute "across the board" ? hmmm :(

Racism exists everywhere and in every direction. Although I believe we cannot ignore it, blaming it just perpetuates hate and builds the continual gap between connecting PEOPLE.....

So, I would rather not jump to that conclusion. :cry:

TCR18

Postby TCR18 » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 10:11 pm

moloch71 wrote:98% doesn't constitute "across the board" ? hmmm :(

Racism exists everywhere and in every direction. Although I believe we cannot ignore it, blaming it just perpetuates hate and builds the continual gap between connecting PEOPLE.....

So, I would rather not jump to that conclusion. :cry:

WHAT THE ....CK ARE YOU BLABBERING ABOUT :?: HAVE YOU EVER COME ACROSS THE BRITS BACK HOME :?: JUST LOOK AT THEIR FACES WHEN THEY ARE LOOKING AT NON-WHITIES, AND YOU WILL GET THE MESSAGE OF HATE IN AN INSTANT

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:17 am

Just a quick whine... :wink:

As usual waiting for a taxi this morning and I got banjaxed by three Aunties lah - Now they are stealing taxis in groups. They even looked and laughed at me since they had gone across the side street closer to oncoming taxis and to a taxi driver have right of way to one before me lah...

Anyway not to bother lifes to short 8)

Postby Guest » Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:47 am

Baf wats with u n the aunties?
they are jus an uneducated bunch compared to the likes of you so expect it from them..n chuckle while they're at it

LOTR

Postby LOTR » Tue, 08 Mar 2005 6:28 pm

You prolly bumped into the classic Aunty that time. Aunties are not used to engaging anyone non-Chinese, period. Maybe 'cos their English ain't so good. Or maybe its just weird for them to talk to perceived strange folks.

Imagine if you encountered Legolas the Elf or Gimli and Dwarf in your supermart queue and he talks to you in Elfin or Dwarfish or asks you where they can buy magic arrows.

But I digress.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:58 pm

I don't have problem with Aunties - They ahev a problem with me :wink:

It seems to be that whenever I run into annoying Singaporeans (which is pretty rare) they are Aunites....

Maybe I am just working to hard and becomeing paranoid...

Maybe I should just listen to the voices in my head 8)