Singapore Expats

Project Manager opportunities in SG

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
JLam

Project Manager opportunities in SG

Post by JLam » Wed, 29 Mar 2017 1:08 pm

I am currently looking for Project Manager opportunities in Singapore, but haven't had much luck.

I've been a Project Manager in a globally leading IT company, in the UK, delivering various Data Science projects for just over a year. Prior to that, I was a Consultant for the same company, and before that, a Aerospace Quality Engineer.

I have a bachelors degree in Aerospace Engineering - graduated just over 2 years ago, so I don't have vast amounts of experience under my belt, but I have climbed up to my current position fairly quickly.

Keen to move to Singapore because my partner is in Malaysia, so it's somewhat closer to her than where I currently am, in London...

Any help or advice would really be appreciated, as the only advice I've had so far is, "give up project management etc. and retrain as a teacher..."

okonu
Regular
Regular

Re: Project Manager opportunities in SG

Post by okonu » Wed, 29 Mar 2017 1:53 pm

Ask your globally leading IT company to transfer you to their Singapore office, hoping that they have enough influence to get you a work permit

1 year's experience as a PM is no way near enough for an employment pass to be issued by a new company - I doubt it will allow you to be being paid enough to be eligible for an EP vs an SP. Basically firms know they can't get a permit for you vs being told to hire a fresh local grad and train them for a year as a project planner

If you are Singaporean, or have PR, then you are better off moving here first, much easier to find a job in situ. There's also a decent sized aerospace cluster here as I am sure you know, so (if you have right to live in SG) you could also apply for graduate entry roles in that sector.

Actually, retraining as a licensed/ chartered aircraft engineer would make more sense than as a teacher. As above, a lot of MRO work here, Boeing & Airbus JV's with Singapore airlines, Rolls Royce have maintenance & manufacturing here etc.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 29 Mar 2017 2:51 pm

You'll actually find it easier to find a job in MY I think.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Wed, 29 Mar 2017 4:40 pm

Are you looking remotely from London? That's very tough, particularly with your level of experience. The upside is data science is a big deal and a hot space to be in.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend coming to Singapore to look. Most companies / recruiters won't give you a second glance as soon as the figure out your abroad.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 29 Mar 2017 5:08 pm

you want a Project Manager job in a country awash with wannabe project managers/ managers/ also can managers ?

i'd say you'd have a chance about 5 years ago, but this country has changed quite drastically in terms of employing foreign talent for management positions. you have good skills however I think you'd have a better chance in Malaysia than in Singapore, that being said don't me discourage you in anyway, best bet is to come down to Singapore and spend a month looking for jobs and attend some interviews and see where that leads to.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Wed, 29 Mar 2017 8:11 pm

I would suggest not marketing yourself as another PM with only 1 yr experience (ho hum, like the thousand here with permits already) but as a data scientist, You will get a better job and higher pay.

But I agree, move here first or get a friend to keep an address for you and a phone number that diverts to your phone (remember timezone) and tell them you are in the UK for X weeks then returning and be ready to jump on a plane.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Mar 2017 8:47 pm

What kind of projects do you think you want to manage?

JLam

Post by JLam » Thu, 30 Mar 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I have actually asked my company to transfer me to either the Singapore or KL office, but unfortunately there aren't any new projects out here for me - I've asked the Ops Team to keep a look out for me, but it's been almost a year and the preference will always be to hire someone local that is cheap... :-|

Yes, I am currently looking remotely from London. It has never even crossed my mind to try and come to Singapore to look for jobs/interviews... Should have done this a long time ago, especially because I've been in KL every other month for the past year!

I don't particularly mind working in MY instead of Singapore... but as I understand, the pay is significantly different. How do you go about looking for jobs in SG? I've done the usual jobstreet applications etc. Are there any other methods which would work better than applying online?

I'd like to stay within the Data Science, Cyber Security space, since that is the industry I've been in for the past 2 years. BUT, I am very much open to going into other industries and happy to do some sort of training which would get me in.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 30 Mar 2017 5:41 pm

both of those areas (cybersecurity & data science) are very hot in general. I'd suggest marketing yourself as those first. As per previous posters, PMs are a dime a dozen here.

Come to SG, look up the technology recruiters and call them up. You'll be given a general 'your great, we'll get back to you' and then they may call you back in 10 minutes or in 3 months (or a year!) when a position comes up. I would also ask them to rate your chances of getting an EP in the current climate and they should be able to provide some estimates on Salary.

As per a previous poster, make sure your CV has a SG address and postal code. Most everyone will bin your CV if your not in SG as they don't want to take the time and risk on whether you'll actually show up and EPs are getting harder to come by.

You'll need to either genuinely be in SG or represent yourself as being in SG.

daveco23

Post by daveco23 » Thu, 30 Mar 2017 9:23 pm

Have you looked at the Unicorns and Big Guns? Unicorns - Uber / Airbnb / Grab. Big guns - Google, Facebook / Microsoft / linkedin, etc. LOADS of postings for data & cybersecurity positions.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 31 Mar 2017 8:59 am

JLam wrote:Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I have actually asked my company to transfer me to either the Singapore or KL office, but unfortunately there aren't any new projects out here for me - I've asked the Ops Team to keep a look out for me, but it's been almost a year and the preference will always be to hire someone local that is cheap... :-|

Yes, I am currently looking remotely from London. It has never even crossed my mind to try and come to Singapore to look for jobs/interviews... Should have done this a long time ago, especially because I've been in KL every other month for the past year!

I don't particularly mind working in MY instead of Singapore... but as I understand, the pay is significantly different. How do you go about looking for jobs in SG? I've done the usual jobstreet applications etc. Are there any other methods which would work better than applying online?

I'd like to stay within the Data Science, Cyber Security space, since that is the industry I've been in for the past 2 years. BUT, I am very much open to going into other industries and happy to do some sort of training which would get me in.

The pay is significantly lower in MY but so are the living costs.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!