Singapore Expats

air conditioning questions

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: air conditioning questions

Post by bgd » Fri, 24 Mar 2017 9:26 am

I don't ever recall having a problem with mold here. I'm not an aircon user, windows open and a couple of fans is all I use. Never needed dehumidifiers either.

I'm assuming decent airflow stops mold forming?

I do like the climate here, the humidity and heat suit me. The rain not so much.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Mar 2017 9:41 am

It's not like green or black mushrooms growing out from the wall (most of the time at least), more like pale brownish freckles on walls or furniture. Good airflow helps a lot but if the room is darker there will be some mold growth. Humidity itself also takes its toll.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Mar 2017 11:26 am

I've been here for 34 years, the first 15 in pre-war Black & White bungalows with 14' ceiling and ceiling fans (these houses are not sealed up at all so trying to aircon them is a real problem without spending real money to do so (some have been done in recent years but not by the renters but by the estate managers). The rents then quadrupled!

I've been in an HDB flat since 1999 when I bought mine. To this day, there is only one room in the flat that is aircon'd and that is a windowed in balcony which is my small office where the computers are. Having said that, there is a wall mounted fan as well and the aircon gets used maybe one day in two or three months. Mold is a problem everywhere as noted. especially if you have leather goods and keep them in a closet or other dark cabinet (like a shoe cabinet). I come from the US mid-way up the east coast were it get to be 40 in the summer and -14 in the winter so Singapore with it's range of 22-35 is fine with me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lagimoana
Regular
Regular

Post by lagimoana » Fri, 24 Mar 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks for all the tips - I am originally from New Zealand, and the cold wet winters there also encourage mold to grow...which is probably why I obsessively use a dehumidifier!!

I can't imagine people not going to the swimming pool when it's 24 - that's a good day during a NZ summer...

We've been here in Sydney for the last eight years and the heat has nearly killed us. We've had a few days over 43 degree this summer and our air conditioner broke on the hottest day/night of the year...so I'm keen to avoid that experience in the future.