Singapore Expats

Living & Working in Hong Kong vs Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Living & Working in Hong Kong vs Singapore

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 26 Jun 2017 12:28 pm

Given a choice, I wouldnt want to go to another Chinese dominated place if I had to move from here. Singapore probably is the easiest oriental Asian city for me. It can't get better than this.

I can totally understand when Britney Spears says she is not keen on the local food. Me neither.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Jun 2017 12:02 pm

Sia White wrote:I live with my husband and my daughters in Singapore. My opinion is - Hong Kong is not the most suitable place for raising children
If that is the case, why are all your posts being made from an ISP in Voysil, Bulgaria. Methinks something is amiss here.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

LaoDan

Post by LaoDan » Mon, 03 Jul 2017 10:46 pm

Lived in HK, Shanghai and now here. I threw away all my winter clothes, so I have to stay here

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 04 Jul 2017 10:21 am

I have a question about living in Hong Kong, do you automatically get PR there after living x number of years there?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 04 Jul 2017 1:47 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I have a question about living in Hong Kong, do you automatically get PR there after living x number of years there?
Yes. As long as you've lived there for at least 7 years.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/roa/eligible.html

"Non-Chinese Citizens
(d) A person not of Chinese nationality who has entered Hong Kong with a valid travel document, has ordinarily resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of not less than seven years and has taken Hong Kong as his/her place of permanent residence before or after the establishment of the HKSAR."
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 04 Jul 2017 3:35 pm

But not if you are a maid, they are excluded from "ordinarily resided".

workinguru

Post by workinguru » Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:07 am

It depends on whether you want to settle down long term in the future, like getting PR. I'll definitely choose Singapore then. if not, just enjoy a few years in HK.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 17 Jul 2017 3:16 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I have a question about living in Hong Kong, do you automatically get PR there after living x number of years there?
It's not automatic.

The seven years is certainly a minimum, unless you have real money. From there you still need to file an application, which is reviewed (my own interview only lasted 5-10min I think), but given the state of HK at the moment they would be quite happy to take anybody that keeps the economy moving.

When you said you wanted "to move" I didn't really think you meant quite that distance. I was hoping for further :P but...... small mercies I suppose.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Michelle Mcdermott

Post by Michelle Mcdermott » Wed, 19 Jul 2017 7:45 am

I have been living in Hong Kong for 8 years until 2012. It's definitely a vibrant city, but there's also huge diversity between diffrent districts. Given the current condition in HK, with the more and more Mainland-influenced society and education systems, it seems less and less considerable for HK to be a city to live in.

It's definitely a great place to visit, but in a long run, it's slowly becoming closer to a mainland Chinese city. If you're moving to HK, do expect deeper social conflicts and problems than it seems on the surface. In fact, many youth in HK wish they could move away from the city, as living conditions seem unfavourable.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 19 Jul 2017 1:53 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
It's not automatic.

The seven years is certainly a minimum, unless you have real money. From there you still need to file an application, which is reviewed (my own interview only lasted 5-10min I think), but given the state of HK at the moment they would be quite happy to take anybody that keeps the economy moving.

When you said you wanted "to move" I didn't really think you meant quite that distance. I was hoping for further :P but...... small mercies I suppose.
don't get your hopes high, i almost considered moving to your condo... :P
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 19 Jul 2017 2:14 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:
It's not automatic.

don't get your hopes high, i almost considered moving to your condo... :P

The best word of all was "almost."
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Jul 2017 2:14 pm

:lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers