Singapore Expats

Living & Working in Hong Kong vs Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Chris Twyman

Living & Working in Hong Kong vs Singapore

Post by Chris Twyman » Tue, 21 Mar 2017 8:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I know this is an old debate but I'm in that fortunate position of being able to choose between moving to one of these 2 places.

It would be great to here you're insight, especially from the people who have worked in both HK and SG.

A bit of background about me, I'm British, 27 years old, single and a recruiter in the Technology industry.

Right now, I'm pretty free to move around, although not sure how many more years I'll be this way.

Both locations really appeal for different reasons. I've read many times that Singapore is boring and for families, and HK is exciting and good for singles.

I believe this statement is a bit outdated and not necessarily true, as Singapore does have a lot going on these days, in nightlife, events etc. So I guess it's caught up to Hong Kong in that regard.

Would be good to hear some insights from anyone who has been in a similar situation to me.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Living & Working in Hong Kong vs Singapore

Post by Addadude » Wed, 22 Mar 2017 1:47 pm

Although I've been based in Singapore for the last 20+ years, for some reason, I was never attracted at all to the idea of living in HK.

However, in the last couple of years I've had to spend quite some time there on frequent business trips. And I have to say, I really do like the infectious energy of the place.

If you were in a relationship and had kids, I think SG would be a better option in terms of greenery and the overall environment.

Honestly however, if I was your age and single, I would opt for HK.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 24 Mar 2017 9:26 am

Addadude wrote:And I have to say, I really do like the infectious energy of the place.
+ 1 . I can't pin down exactly what it is about HK. Good fengshui :mrgreen: ? I would come alive and get going when I wake up in the mornings in that place. A priceless feeling. I find the energy electrifying. Something that I had never felt in other places.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 24 Mar 2017 5:13 pm

Chris Twyman wrote:Hi everyone,
I've read many times that Singapore is boring and for families, and HK is exciting and good for singles.

I believe this statement is a bit outdated and not necessarily true, as Singapore does have a lot going on these days, in nightlife, events etc. So I guess it's caught up to Hong Kong in that regard.

I was eight years in HK from 1994 to 2002 and have been in Singapore ten years though still go three or four times each year to HK.

I think the statement is still as true now as it used to be.

HK, these days is pretty unchanged from the heady days of before although strangely it does feel more crowded. It has an energy about it that is youthful and enjoyable, although I've past that needing more space, cleaner air and a more suitable place for the family.

I moved to HK in the early portion of my 20's and I would repeat my choice, all being the same.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Fri, 24 Mar 2017 10:07 pm

I guess I'm going against the grain here but I'd choose Singapore over HK whether I was single or a family. I was a single guy when I worked in HK and at the beginning in SG too.

The living standards in Singapore are better imo, you can live in a reasonable size condo in Singapore but it'll cost a fair bit more for something similar in HK, and honestly the quality of the buildings and the facilities on offer in HK can't compare to SG. Food is subjective and you won't struggle for anything in either location, I prefer the nightlife in Sg to HK personally as I was never a fan of the gweilo ghetto that is mid-levels and LAN Kwai fong, and without those and wanchai there aren't too many more choices if you're not a local due to the language barrier. In Singapore you can go anywhere and aren't just limited to the expat places, and I'd say boat quay is comparable to LKF (comparing like for like) for after work drinks.

Taxes are roughly the same so no issues there, I like that Singapore is much easier to get to the rest of SE Asia from too, think 1.5hrs to Phuket rather than 3.5 if coming from HK. If you're more interested in traveling to china than Thailand/Malaysia/Cambodia (I'm guessing not) then HK is better located
I HAVE MASTERS!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 27 Mar 2017 1:59 pm

You brought up a great point. Living in HK may be different for somebody who is not of Chinese / Asian ethnicity

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 27 Mar 2017 2:22 pm

I was 25 when i first visited HK, I was literally blown away by the sheer scale of everything, the crowds, the buildings, the atmosphere, the vibrance. it did take me a day or two to find my feet, and it still does.. although i've been going back there so very often, its fast and in your face and if you are the sort of relaxed laid back personality give yourself some time to come to grips with HK and once you are past that you'll totally love it. As for choosing SG vs HK.. if i was single or recently married HK would be great, but if you plan to have children and raise them in a KAF atmosphere then Singapore is the best place for you.
I'm not sure which one is more expensive for living SG vs HK as I've never done a comparison before.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Mila Smith

Post by Mila Smith » Mon, 17 Apr 2017 6:35 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:if i was single or recently married HK would be great, but if you plan to have children and raise them in a KAF atmosphere then Singapore is the best place for you.
I'm not sure which one is more expensive for living SG vs HK as I've never done a comparison before.
I'd choose HK for the same reasons. I stayed there only 6 months, but this place is great if you are on your own and 27 years old.
Life is short, paddle harder!

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 07 May 2017 5:07 pm

Definitely HK.

HK also has a vibrancy from a work and career perspective that Singapore lacks. It's dynamic, challenging, and the people I've worked with over the years are pretty on the ball. Singapore has it's good points...but dynamism would not be one them. :lol:

djfx

Post by djfx » Mon, 08 May 2017 5:16 am

passing by , first time here

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 16 May 2017 7:44 am

Lanablogger wrote:For me both are great places, but Honk Kong is a fast growing place to live. The technology is developing faster in Honk Kong than in Singapore.
What kind of technology?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 07 Jun 2017 6:51 am

Sad days ahead for HK. Either come to terms with their new overlord or go the way of the dinosaurs?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... yptr=yahoo

Sia White

Post by Sia White » Wed, 14 Jun 2017 6:18 pm

I live with my husband and my daughters in Singapore. My opinion is - Hong Kong is not the most suitable place for raising children

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:49 am

An interview with the last British Governor of Hong Kong......... "that sense of being able to get things done".

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/poli ... -hong-kong