Singapore Expats

Re-Enter Singapore after A2A

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Eklaber

Re-Enter Singapore after A2A

Post by Eklaber » Thu, 16 Mar 2017 1:00 pm

Hi, everyone!

Please provide with the information you know regarding my concern.

My brother (Filipino) came to Singapore as tourist to look for a job in 2012. He wasn't very lucky to get one that time.
Before his social visit expired, he went out to Malaysia and tried to re-enter Singapore. However, he was denied to enter. He was questioned in the immigration. Officers found out that he was looking for a job through his phone conversations. He was denied to enter and has sent back to Malaysia (airport to airport). His passport has been stamped and he was asked for a finger print. There was no clear instructions when can he return to visit Singapore again. He was only told that he cannot enter Singapore for the "mean time".

Now, questions are:
-How long does this "mean time"? Can he already visit Singapore now?
-He has renewed his passport. Will the immigration still have his record?
-For the arrival card, should he tick Yes or No for the question: Have you been prohibited to enter Singapore? If Yes, what will be the consequences for him?

Thank you so much!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: Re-Enter Singapore after A2A

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 16 Mar 2017 3:36 pm

Eklaber wrote:Hi, everyone!

- Immigration department keeps track of all the old passport details also.
-For the arrival card, should he tick Yes or No for the question: Have you been prohibited to enter Singapore? If Yes, what will be the consequences for him?
- He should tick Yes.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 16 Mar 2017 3:57 pm

My brother (Filipino) came to Singapore as tourist to look for a job in 2012. He wasn't very lucky to get one that time.
Before his social visit expired, he went out to Malaysia and tried to re-enter Singapore. However, he was denied to enter. He was questioned in the immigration. Officers found out that he was looking for a job through his phone conversations.
Looking for a job while on tourist visa is not prohibited in Singapore.

Eklaber

Post by Eklaber » Thu, 16 Mar 2017 5:02 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:

- Immigration department keeps track of all the old passport details also.
- He should tick Yes.
Hi, @singaporeflyer! Thank you for the heads up! I have also read that someone ticked Yes and managed to enter Singapore as usual.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re-Enter Singapore after A2A

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 16 Mar 2017 9:38 pm

Before his social visit expired, he went out to Malaysia and tried to re-enter Singapore. However, he was denied to enter. He was questioned in the immigration. Officers found out that he was looking for a job through his phone conversations. He was denied to enter and has sent back to Malaysia (airport to airport). His passport has been stamped and he was asked for a finger print. There was no clear instructions when can he return to visit Singapore again. He was only told that he cannot enter Singapore for the "mean time".

Now, questions are:

Thank you so much!
If he comes back after a reasonable amount of time, say 6 months, with a valid return ticket, he shouldn't have trouble.

However, was he given A2A on his first after how long of stay in Singapore / visa run to Malaysia visit ?

He may have bigger trouble navigating the ruthless BI.

Eklaber

Re: RE: Re-Enter Singapore after A2A

Post by Eklaber » Thu, 16 Mar 2017 9:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:

Now, questions are:

Thank you so much!
If he comes back after a reasonable amount of time, say 6 months, with a valid return ticket, he shouldn't have trouble.

However, was he given A2A on his first after how long of stay in Singapore / visa run to Malaysia visit ?

He may have bigger trouble navigating the ruthless BI.
Hi. Thank you for your time to respond. He is planning to return to visit me on April 2017. 5 years after his A2A. His stamp on his passport was W "Suspect UTurn". Do you know what does it mean? However, he has renewed his passport already.

He arrived Singapore on 3 March and got an extension online. He went to Malaysia on 26 April before his social visit extension has expired, for an overnight stay and has returned to Singapore.
Last edited by Eklaber on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re-Enter Singapore after A2A

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 16 Mar 2017 9:53 pm

Eklaber wrote: Hi. Thank you for your time to respone. He is only planning to return to visit me on April 2017. 5 years after his A2A. His stamp on his passport was W "Suspect UTurn". Do you what does it mean? However, he has renewed his passport already.

He stayed in Singapore for less than month. Before his social visit has expired, he has left to Malaysia for an overnight stay and has returned to Singapore.
he should declare his past refusal and without going all over the place describe what happened, visited Singapore, went to Malaysia and was refused entry.

And a letter from you confirming your relationship will help (don't bother with embassy letter of invite - that's only to pass BI, though often BI ignores that letter, the same letter that earned $ to the Embassy... )
Btw, which entry point was he refused entry ?

Suspect U turn is what it is - your brother did a U turn in Malaysia - instead of spending a few days in Malaysia, if he was a genuine visitor to Malaysia.

Eklaber

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re-Enter Singapore after A2A

Post by Eklaber » Thu, 16 Mar 2017 10:00 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Eklaber wrote: Hi. Thank you for your time to respone. He is only planning to return to visit me on April 2017. 5 years after his A2A. His stamp on his passport was W "Suspect UTurn". Do you what does it mean? However, he has renewed his passport already.

He stayed in Singapore for less than month. Before his social visit has expired, he has left to Malaysia for an overnight stay and has returned to Singapore.
he should declare his past refusal and without going all over the place describe what happened, visited Singapore, went to Malaysia and was refused entry.

And a letter from you confirming your relationship will help (don't bother with embassy letter of invite - that's only to pass BI, though often BI ignores that letter, the same letter that earned $ to the Embassy... )
Btw, which entry point was he refused entry ?

Suspect U turn is what it is - your brother did a U turn in Malaysia - instead of spending a few days in Malaysia, if he was a genuine visitor to Malaysia.
Thanks again for this.

Is the letter to present to immigration for his entry? I am not familiar with this. How does it work and how should the letter go?

He went out to JB with a cousin. When they're about to return, he was refused to enter.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re-Enter Singapore after A2A

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 16 Mar 2017 10:39 pm

Eklaber wrote:
Thanks again for this.

Is the letter to present to immigration for his entry? I am not familiar with this. How does it work and how should the letter go?

He went out to JB with a cousin. When they're about to return, he was refused to enter.
just write a letter stating he is your sibling and you are inviting him to Singapore to visit you.

Yeah, a prompt return is U turn.