Singapore Expats Forum

[Advice] Aus PR or Dual Citizenship for a Child

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.

[Advice] Aus PR or Dual Citizenship for a Child

Postby irrelevancy » Wed, 15 Mar 2017 10:54 pm

Hi there

I'm a Singaporean married to an Australian wife, and we have 2 sons who are Singaporeans.

Due to the nature of my work we move in between Singapore and Australia a fair bit, and will be moving there again for the next 4-5 years soon.

I am considering the option of applying for australian citizenship for them (by descent) as it is financially less burdensome (less than 1/10th the cost of a PR) and they enjoy the benefit of free entry to australia (no need to keep renewing the visa every 5 years with all the associated requirements for a RRV).

I completely understand they are liable for NS (which we don't mind) and need to renounce one citizenship at the age of 21.

For now, I wonder if there are any particular disadvantages to holding dual citizenship for the time being, as compared to being a Singaporean + Aus PR (by applying for a Child Migration Visa).

Thanks for any help!

Re: [Advice] Aus PR or Dual Citizenship for a Child

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 16 Mar 2017 8:41 am

You mean the cost of an application for Australian citizenship by descent is 1/10 of an immigration visa to Australia ($6,500 plus)? Yes - wise idea and you do need to do it before they turn 16 or 18 I believe.

There are no disadvantages (IMO) to a minor holding dual Singapore/Australian citizenship and a hell of a lot of advantages considering how likely a Fukishima radiation disaster, Trump war or economic collapse are in the next few years.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA