Singapore Expats

Finance jobs and Dependant's Pass Holder

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
aleksandrowa

Finance jobs and Dependant's Pass Holder

Post by aleksandrowa » Wed, 08 Mar 2017 2:13 am

Hi
I will relocate to Singapore as of 15.04 for at least 3 years with my husband who was asked to be relocated by his company. I will have Dependant's Pass Holder. So far I have 4,5 years of experience in Finance, half of that as Financial Analyst in HPE. Also I have Master's Degree in Finance and Accounting.

Is there a chance that I will be a valuable asset on SG labour market? I would like to work here, I have a personality that can't lay in the swimming pool...Will it be difficult to find a job as Dependant's Pass Holder? I know that I would ONLY need letter of consent, but how is that in pratice?

daveco23

Re: Finance jobs and Dependant's Pass Holder

Post by daveco23 » Wed, 08 Mar 2017 12:05 pm

I assume you mean HP Enterprise? Can you transfer with them? Huge operation here.

aleksandrowa

Post by aleksandrowa » Wed, 08 Mar 2017 1:40 pm

Yeah, I already tried to ask around but the department I am working in Europe in APJ is smaller and fully occupied. This week I started applying for another Financial Analyst roles in SG but there is not a lot open ones So I decided that I should also look outside HP. And that is why I am wondering how in practice that may look like in my shoes in SG labour market with a Dependant's Pass.

daveco23

Post by daveco23 » Wed, 08 Mar 2017 1:52 pm

Look at the newer MNC's like Facebook, Google, Amazon, MS, etc. They are well versed in SG visa requirements and have their APAC HQ's here.

aleksandrowa

Post by aleksandrowa » Wed, 08 Mar 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks that was also my first idea to knock on doors of international companies like those you have listed. Just being afraid that is not gonna be easy to find a job with DP pass. It's very difficult to imagine being unemployed for a couple of months. It is not about money we can afford living here and have savings without me working but my character will not allow me to be in SG and sit at home.

daveco23

Post by daveco23 » Wed, 08 Mar 2017 2:38 pm

You should be ok, but do the groundwork now. The companies I listed will not have a problem with an LOC or even an EP for you if you bring something unique to the table. Get in touch, as they are actively hiring here.
My wife got a job on a DP using the LOC route FWIW. It took a while though, as local companies / recruiters didn't want to know as soon as they found out she wasn't a PR. As soon as she switched her sights to MNC's and took the recruiters out of the equation things moved very quickly.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 09 Mar 2017 8:31 pm

Given enough time, you shouldn't have an issue finding a good job in Singapore. It's your presence here in Singapore that will be more important then your residency permit type. Most MNCs will issue you an EP directly on hiring rather then rely on your DEP / LOC for employment. They do this to eliminate the risk of your suddenly being unable to work for them should your spouse suddenly lose his/her EP for any reason.

When we first relocated here, my wife took 4 months to settle in with our children and started a job <4 months after looking (I can't remember how long it took from start to offer).

aleksandrowa

Post by aleksandrowa » Tue, 16 May 2017 4:39 pm

We arrived here last week. So far I sent my resume using LinkedIn or Indeed many times (a hundred?) and spent 4 hours a day sending CVs and none called. I start feeling insecure in SG cause I read a lot of stories about people who cannot find a job here on DP.
Is there anyone like me? Just feeling frustrated sad etc. It's first time in my live being in Asia country and moving for a longer period of time (2 yrs)

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 16 May 2017 4:56 pm

aleksandrowa wrote:We arrived here last week. So far I sent my resume using LinkedIn or Indeed many times (a hundred?) and spent 4 hours a day sending CVs and none called. I start feeling insecure in SG cause I read a lot of stories about people who cannot find a job here on DP.
Is there anyone like me? Just feeling frustrated sad etc. It's first time in my live being in Asia country and moving for a longer period of time (2 yrs)
Coming in "fresh" I think quite tricky.

Need start looking at networking.

Join some clubs , get to know some people , this is how I have seen folk overcome this issue before. You need someone to help you get at least a foot in the door.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 May 2017 9:56 pm

aleksandrowa wrote:We arrived here last week. So far I sent my resume using LinkedIn or Indeed many times (a hundred?) and spent 4 hours a day sending CVs and none called. I start feeling insecure in SG cause I read a lot of stories about people who cannot find a job here on DP.
A lot of people discover that LinkedIn is generally a waste of time... even in the USA... no one ever gets a response... it's an easy troll for lazy HR departments who don't care about the candidates whatsoever.

Do consider joining or volunteering with one or more expat organizations, for example, the American Association of Singapore. There are a couple of reasons why this is good. First, you start to develop a network of people. Second, most expats are either in management positions (or their spouses are), so you'll have an opportunity to learn of spots that open up. And third, the organizations themselves sometimes need paid help... there are quite a few.

I know of one woman who started by volunteering at AAS, became the director of the organization, and then moved on to an amazing career... including working in a senior position at the United Nations Economic and Social Commission Asia Pacific in Bangkok, and now working in the Office of the Deputy Director General, Nuclear Safety and Security International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna... so yes, there are opportunities.

Others I know have taken similar routes to end up in positions at the local campuses of American universities... so don't give up.

And.... ENJOY!!!!!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Wed, 17 May 2017 3:14 pm

My wife and I came to SG 3 years ago and she started looking on a DP.

It took her around 3 months from starting to look (she took some time to settle in first) to signing an offer. When she was hired, she was converted over to an EP by her employer and we cancelled her DP (risk mitigation, the company didn't want to have a problem if my EP was cancelled and by extension her DP).

Hiring cycle in Singapore is slower then North America.

aleksandrowa

Post by aleksandrowa » Thu, 18 May 2017 1:38 pm

Hi
The situation changed a little. Got 2 phone calls, one interview at the company and one at agency recruitment. Maybe there is a hope :twisted:

Thanks for mooding me up !

I will also look for foreign Associations. I thought about that as I do not know here anyone

aleksandrowa

Post by aleksandrowa » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:09 pm

Hi All
Thanks for much for your help so far. I got an offical offer letter. The company wants to issue for me Employment Pass when I am holidng Dependant's Pass. They said they don't want to rely on my husband's EP. I understand that but now I am worried if I will get EP.

And also maybe someone of you has such experience. How long it takes to get EP when you already have a DP? What chances are that it will be rejected?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:14 pm

It will take the same length of time as it would from anybody else. EP has to be obtained on your credentials alone so be prepared to wait a couple of weeks to a couple of months as the case may be.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aleksandrowa

Post by aleksandrowa » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:32 pm

Months ? :o

Wow. HR from this company told me that it should be less than 3 weeks and that would be a not a problem to obtain such for me.

I just really want to work again and come back on career path as quickly as I can [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< .