Singapore Expats

Unfair system for Citizenship Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
netflixsg

Unfair system for Citizenship Application

Post by netflixsg » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 7:56 am

I hope someone would have seen this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSk3nQ4dxg0 It was quite sad to see and words can't describe how I felt .

I'm an Indian Singaporean. I recently happened to meet my batch mates from NUS over a weekend. I had a talk with a guy who is recently married. He is an Indian SPR for the last 5 years. His wife is a SPR too (for the same period). When asked him about his future plans, he told me that he has applied for Singapore citizenship. I was initially happy that he decided to consider Singapore to be his new home but then he revealed that he plans to move to the US and his wife is planning to do her MBA in June 2018 in the US. This made me realise how messed up our immigration system is. When I look at the people who suffer just because someone out there broke a law and then these group of people, I wonder where is the balance? In fact the couple have been portraying that they love Singapore on Facebook through their post, by wishing for all the national holidays and by liking all the ministers Facebook page. They also take part in social events to work on their profile. So much of preparedness to get the citizenship, so that they can use Singapore as a springboard. Irony is their social circle is completely non locals.Even if the ICA can reject the application once, this mishap won't happen and that citizenship could be offered to someone who is very well deserved. They wouldn't wait another 5 years for the process. I have no clue where to start on this issue. Should I just watch the unfairness that is going to unfold in the next few months?

x9200

Re: Unfair system for Citizenship Application

Post by x9200 » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 8:31 am

netflixsg wrote:I hope someone would have seen this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSk3nQ4dxg0 It was quite sad to see and words can't describe how I felt .

I'm an Indian Singaporean. I recently happened to meet my batch mates from NUS over a weekend. I had a talk with a guy who is recently married. He is an Indian SPR for the last 5 years. His wife is a SPR too (for the same period). When asked him about his future plans, he told me that he has applied for Singapore citizenship. I was initially happy that he decided to consider Singapore to be his new home but then he revealed that he plans to move to the US and his wife is planning to do her MBA in June 2018 in the US. This made me realise how messed up our immigration system is. When I look at the people who suffer just because someone out there broke a law and then these group of people, I wonder where is the balance? In fact the couple have been portraying that they love Singapore on Facebook through their post, by wishing for all the national holidays and by liking all the ministers Facebook page. They also take part in social events to work on their profile. So much of preparedness to get the citizenship, so that they can use Singapore as a springboard. Irony is their social circle is completely non locals.Even if the ICA can reject the application once, this mishap won't happen and that citizenship could be offered to someone who is very well deserved. They wouldn't wait another 5 years for the process. I have no clue where to start on this issue. Should I just watch the unfairness that is going to unfold in the next few months?
I needed to parse twice through the above and still not sure whether you are condemning ICA or the Indian couple.

netflixsg

Post by netflixsg » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 8:36 am

x9200 wrote:
netflixsg wrote:I hope someone would have seen this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSk3nQ4dxg0 It was quite sad to see and words can't describe how I felt .

I needed to parse twice through the above and still not sure whether you are condemning ICA or the Indian couple.
Not condemning ICA. Just saying we need to build a better vetting system. They are doing a good job but there is more ground to cover. And for the Indian couple, they saw the loop hole and they are working hard on using the loop hole. Also, if by any chance if ICA can read this post I would be happy to assist. And for the stateless people, I wish the government can relax the law to some extent. They deserve a better life for all you know they have been more close to the community than the new immigrants.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 8:40 am

x9200 wrote:I needed to parse twice through the above and still not sure whether you are condemning ICA or the Indian couple.
Same here...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 8:50 am

Oh, ok, the Indian couple then.
ICA is perfectly aware of that problem and what you described is a classic modus operandi of many Indians (and the others).

- buy a property
- volunteer somewhere in a local community unit
- tell around (including this forum) how much you love Singapore
etc etc etc
even donate blood

As far as we can tell, ICA normally looks for more tangible or reliable indicators. Obviously all from the above list can be faked and is very frequently use to convince ICA and ICA are not idiots. I would not be surprised if right now this kind of list scores negative points in the assessment process.

Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons why everything takes ages and so many people get rejected. But I don't really think there is much space for any revolutionary improvement in the system. There has to be some freedom to demonstrate the merits and if there is freedom, there will be people trying to abuse it.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 8:51 am

I am not sure how ICA can even detect what a person's future plans are. They can only make a decision based on the available information provided to them.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Unfair system for Citizenship Application

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 8:53 am

netflixsg wrote: Not condemning ICA. Just saying we need to build a better vetting system. They are doing a good job but there is more ground to cover. And for the Indian couple, they saw the loop hole and they are working hard on using the loop hole. Also, if by any chance if ICA can read this post I would be happy to assist. And for the stateless people, I wish the government can relax the law to some extent. They deserve a better life for all you know they have been more close to the community than the new immigrants.
there's no perfect method to vet prospective candidates. Unless people can be mind read.

Likewise I know a lady who applied for US visa and when US embassy staff questioned her intentions she was supposed to have said something like her roots in Singapore are extremely strong and will never give up her Singapore PR and she won't regret it if she doesn't get her visa.

And once she got her Visa and landed in US, she straight sought out her relatives and is a green card holder now.

netflixsg

Post by netflixsg » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 8:56 am

bro75 wrote:I am not sure how ICA can even detect what a person's future plans are. They can only make a decision based on the available information provided to them.
You don't need to look at their future plans. Just critically analyse their profile. A couple who has not completed their first REP is ready to apply for SC. Instead of considering their education in Singapore as a point of Merit, give them the time to settle in. 10 years in Singapore as a PR -> This couple won't last that long.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Unfair system for Citizenship Application

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 9:04 am

netflixsg wrote:
bro75 wrote:I am not sure how ICA can even detect what a person's future plans are. They can only make a decision based on the available information provided to them.
You don't need to look at their future plans. Just critically analyse their profile. A couple who has not completed their first REP is ready to apply for SC. Instead of considering their education in Singapore as a point of Merit, give them the time to settle in. 10 years in Singapore as a PR -> This couple won't last that long.
When ICA rejected SC applicants who been here for more than 15 years, won real community awards, and are real community volunteers, in a mid level job,

And then ICA favorably considers the likes you mentioned because they a) possibly earn much higher b) studied in Singapore... c) high profile jobs

That's meritocracy at work.

There's no perfect system of vetting!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Unfair system for Citizenship Application

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 9:08 am

netflixsg wrote: In fact the couple have been portraying that they love Singapore on Facebook through their post, by wishing for all the national holidays and by liking all the ministers Facebook page. They also take part in social events to work on their profile. So much of preparedness to get the citizenship, so that they can use Singapore as a springboard.
PS, don't recall ICA giving points for Facebook likes ;)

netflixsg

Re: RE: Unfair system for Citizenship Application

Post by netflixsg » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 9:10 am

ecureilx wrote:
netflixsg wrote: In fact the couple have been portraying that they love Singapore on Facebook through their post, by wishing for all the national holidays and by liking all the ministers Facebook page. They also take part in social events to work on their profile. So much of preparedness to get the citizenship, so that they can use Singapore as a springboard.
PS, don't recall ICA giving points for Facebook likes ;)
:D Forgot to mention RSVP public events related to women, Singapore and community

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 9:24 am

Singapore doesn't need people. Singapore needs robots. With globalization getting rolled back, Singapore will do well to just preserve what it has achieved. I don't think Singapore will push for population growth any more. There is going to a push towards automation in lots of areas. A lot of PR approval decisions done earlier will now be deemed as errenous. So guys don't keep hopes or make any bets about getting PR or citizenship in Singapore.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 9:30 am

And one of our previous discussions made it to A-S-S

https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/artic ... ping-stone

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 9:41 am

OP - where their plans of mice and men get messed up is when they have a son.... Second we all know Indians are now very low on the list of approved racial types.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Unfair system for Citizenship Application

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 9:53 am

netflixsg wrote: :D Forgot to mention RSVP public events related to women, Singapore and community
right Image Image