Singapore Expats Forum

How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

thailen
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue, 16 Feb 2016

How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby thailen » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 8:44 pm

to live(room cost is already paid!)? Recognizing that that we all differ in lifestyle, taste, habits, etc. and assuming one eats two average meals a day consuming more or less basic meals, minimal(1 trip every 2 days) public transportation, covering just food, transportation, toiletries, how much for a week's living expenses?

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9285
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby x9200 » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 9:26 pm

thailen wrote:to live(room cost is already paid!)? Recognizing that that we all differ in lifestyle, taste, habits, etc. and assuming one eats two average meals a day consuming more or less basic meals, minimal(1 trip every 2 days) public transportation, covering just food, transportation, toiletries, how much for a week's living expenses?

anything between 50 and 500 (leaving out the extremes).

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9662
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 9:50 pm

thailen wrote:to live(room cost is already paid!)? Recognizing that that we all differ in lifestyle, taste, habits, etc. and assuming one eats two average meals a day consuming more or less basic meals, minimal(1 trip every 2 days) public transportation, covering just food, transportation, toiletries, how much for a week's living expenses?


Basic meals, between 4$ to 6$, per meal, depending on your taste and if you can accept local hawker food. Good, filling, Basic meal in outskirts can be below 5 $, town area - 8$ and upwards.

I am not talking about restaurant meals. Restaurant meals can start from 15$ per meal. Or much more.

Transportation, budget 15$ + for EZ link, the local bus / train fare card. Rides cost about 2 $ each way.

Toiletry ?

You can get an idea of toiletry costs at NTUC online or Redmart.

thailen
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue, 16 Feb 2016

Re: How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby thailen » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 11:53 am

IWhat I mean by toiletries is: toothpaste, shampoo, soap,medicine, etc.
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. If I stay in a neighborhood(out of the center) don't they have local restaurants I can eat at for less than 15 dollars?

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2101
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 1:02 pm

thailen wrote:IWhat I mean by toiletries is: toothpaste, shampoo, soap,medicine, etc.
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. If I stay in a neighborhood(out of the center) don't they have local restaurants I can eat at for less than 15 dollars?


Out in the heartlands , coffee shop is very cheap, just add a bit on if you want to eat in an aircon coffee shop

In my opinion toiletries are expensive.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9662
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 3:55 pm

thailen wrote:IWhat I mean by toiletries is: toothpaste, shampoo, soap,medicine, etc.
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. If I stay in a neighborhood(out of the center) don't they have local restaurants I can eat at for less than 15 dollars?


15 $ a day ? That's living princely, in heartlands ( all S$p

15 $ a week ? Nope. Nope. Nopeeeee...

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9285
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: RE: Re: How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby x9200 » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 5:40 pm

ecureilx wrote:
thailen wrote:IWhat I mean by toiletries is: toothpaste, shampoo, soap,medicine, etc.
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. If I stay in a neighborhood(out of the center) don't they have local restaurants I can eat at for less than 15 dollars?


15 $ a day ? That's living princely, in heartlands ( all S$p

15 $ a week ? Nope. Nope. Nopeeeee...

one can always cook. Rice is cheap, so is low quality meat, eggs and many many veggy products including tofu. Think a big pot of curry.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9662
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 10:27 pm

x9200 wrote:one can always cook. Rice is cheap, so is low quality meat, eggs and many many veggy products including tofu. Think a big pot of curry.


if a person cooks... of course, 50 $ a week is fantastic !! Can make do with 30 $ or so says me..

community@lithan
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon, 08 May 2017

Re: How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby community@lithan » Tue, 09 May 2017 3:28 pm

on a week, $100 on average incl transport and daily expenses etc

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9662
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 09 May 2017 5:39 pm

community@lithan wrote:on a week, $100 on average incl transport and daily expenses etc


What a wonderful nick .. related ??

thailen
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue, 16 Feb 2016

Re: How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby thailen » Wed, 10 May 2017 12:24 am

thanks to all who offered suggestions! I'll use S100/$70 US ) as a yardstick, and assume it includes only meals and transportation. I cook my own breakfasts and only eat a light lunch, so I hope I haven't underestimated.

JustSee
Regular
Regular
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2012

Re: How much in Sigapore dollars would it cost

Postby JustSee » Fri, 12 May 2017 2:02 pm

thailen wrote:thanks to all who offered suggestions! I'll use S100/$70 US ) as a yardstick, and assume it includes only meals and transportation. I cook my own breakfasts and only eat a light lunch, so I hope I haven't underestimated.


I think you've over estimated... can easily do it under $50SGD as well.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest