Singapore Expats

To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Dukinson85

To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by Dukinson85 » Sun, 05 Mar 2017 8:05 pm

To sum up I have been dating a few Singaporean girls recently. And to say the least, the dating scene here is very different from what I am used to in the West. I am an American Chinese and have dated lots of girls with different cultural background. I have dated asian (Malaysian, Filipino & Hong Kong girls even Thais) and white girls alike. Generally my experience has been the usual typical date: with lots of flirting, light touches, teasing, bantering and laughters.

I recently got relocated to Singapore and after a few months I decided to hit the dating scene in Singapore. I decided to hit on this girl at work, got her number and she seem excited to go out with me when texting. Just from texting, she seem fairly normal, although her texting responses to my teasing & flirting can be quite awkward at times - but I never thought much of that at that time. Anyway, fast forward to the actual date, to summarise my experience, I felt like I was out with a guy friend rather than a date.

I did the usual routine, flirting, having deep conversations, teasing, some light touches. But the only thing that comes close to a "feminine" response is some laughs, smiles & eye contact. Of course she may not be interested in me at all which could explain why the lack of responses / reciprocation. But I think its safe to assume that she should have some interest based on texting cues & the fact that she agreed with the date. Anyway that was the weirdest date ever, it felt so one-sided, I lost some interest after the dinner. I was actually planning to take her to dessert after, but changed my mind as I thought she wasn't really interested.

But surprisingly after the dinner she suggested dessert, so I was like hmm maybe she is starting to warm-up. We went for dessert. But once again, same thing, lack of signals, it really felt like I was out with another guy. My guess is that Singaporean girls either lack emotion or have troubles expressing their emotions. I already did my part in my opinion (taking all the initiatives) so I dont think she is afraid of rejection.

Anyway at first I rubbed it off as a one off experience, ie. I shouldnt be using her to generalise the other Singaporean girls, she may be a peculiar one. But I then dated another Singaporean girl whom was introduced to me through a friend & the same thing happened again. Once again it feels like Im hanging out with a guy rather than a girl. To sum it up, I cant feel the liveliness and energy of a girl that you usually get during dates, which evolves into chemistry. Anyway, once again a sample size of two girls is too small to tell. But from what I gathered from my Singaporean male friends, it seems they generally agree with me that Singapore girls can be quite emotionally detached and generally lacks enthusiasm, energy and passion. Funny that I have actually always wondered why were my local male colleagues almost always married to a non-Singaporean (mostly married to Malaysian / Indonesian / China girls). I guess the local girls here are just really lacking for some reason?

Extra info would be the 2 girls I have dated are at the age range of (22 to 25). They are also fairly educated (graduated from Local Universities). Maybe they are just less experienced in dating? I will try dating some older local girls to see if that's the case, but I am only 28 myself, and would prefer to date younger girls.

So my question to the local expats here: What was your experience like dating a local Singaporean girl? Do Singaporean girls escalate much slower than girls from other countries / your home countries? Do Singaporean girls usually need more time to warm up before they show some enthusiasm / excitement / cheerfulness / liveliness?

Another small little thing I have noticed is that the local girls can be quite fussy at times. They seem to enjoy complaining which can be quite a turn off. For instance the second girl I dated kept complaining that the food at the Japanese restaurant we had dinner was horrible. Anyway I will try dating one more Singaporean girl before giving up. I have heard the Malaysians (which are close neighbours to Singapore) are much more interesting breed. So I will probably check out the Malaysians girls next, they seem to also have healthier curves :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Mar 2017 9:21 pm

You have just learned one of the reasons why the TFR in Singapore is the lowest in the world. They are generally cold fish. About the only thing that warms them up starts with the word "Coach" "Prada" or some such. Then they will liven up a wee bit (for a little while only - when the newness wears off so will they bugger off.) Welcome to Singapore a country were ABCs have it just as hard as the Ang Mos. :shit:

And yes, you are right, those north of the border are much more accommodating but just as dollar-eyed.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 05 Mar 2017 9:36 pm

Dukinson85 wrote:. Anyway I will try dating one more Singaporean girl before giving up. I have heard the Malaysians (which are close neighbours to Singapore) are much more interesting breed. So I will probably check out the Malaysians girls next, they seem to also have healthier curves :P
dating - you mean take 'em to bed ?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: RE: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 05 Mar 2017 10:08 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Dukinson85 wrote:. Anyway I will try dating one more Singaporean girl before giving up. I have heard the Malaysians (which are close neighbours to Singapore) are much more interesting breed. So I will probably check out the Malaysians girls next, they seem to also have healthier curves :P
dating - you mean take 'em to bed ?
I reckon that enters into any kind of a longer term relationship.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 05 Mar 2017 10:55 pm

it depends on who you are dating.. for eg I dated some non Chinese locals here.. they were pretty normal and interesting...dating chicks at work, and as for Chinese girls, the mainland ones are more bolder daring and ready to gambol :cool:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 8:45 am

Raj, I like your word play! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 10:20 am

Singapore girls are class/fashion conscious to a fault and extremely sheltered. Not the best dating material however there are exceptions. If you think my generalizations are bad then I can assure you that the pigeon holing/assumptions and generalisations along with outright racism, bigotry and sexism going on in that little girls fair head are far worse than any of my statements.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 3:44 pm

Oft times lively and crazy go hand in hand

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 3:58 pm

PNGMK wrote:Singapore girls are class/fashion conscious to a fault and extremely sheltered. Not the best dating material however there are exceptions. If you think my generalizations are bad then I can assure you that the pigeon holing/assumptions and generalisations along with outright racism, bigotry and sexism going on in that little girls fair head are far worse than any of my statements.
often times I was out with Chinese female colleagues, they have mentioned how old ah mah and ah pek give odd looks and sometimes, un printable comments :)

welcome to Singapore

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 4:15 pm

lots of (new) money but no class... I am sure some of you will kill me for that...

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 5:01 pm

Dukinson85 wrote: . I decided to hit on this girl at work, got her number and she seem excited to go out with me when texting. Just from texting, she seem fairly normal, although her texting responses to my teasing & flirting can be quite awkward at times - but I never thought much of that at that time. Anyway,
So what were your lines then? :D

One persons flirting can be another's sexual harassment!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 5:30 pm

martincymru wrote:lots of (new) money but no class...
Can't argue with that. Just look at their shoes - for a country with national service the ability to polish one's shoes seems to stay at the camp gate. (Not sure if there's a pun or euphemism in there...)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 7:59 pm

DrScrumMaster wrote:
Can't argue with that. Just look at their shoes - for a country with national service the ability to polish one's shoes seems to stay at the camp gate. (Not sure if there's a pun or euphemism in there...)
How can you polish shoes if they are full of glittering, shining, fake crystals and other classy stuff?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 9:54 pm

DrScrumMaster wrote:
they can always get a FDW to do that, can't they ?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 11:26 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
they can always get a FDW to do that, can't they ?
Leticia to the rescue.

To be fair, none of the locals I know who served army depend on maids, not even when they have kids.