Singapore Expats

To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Re: RE: Re: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by x9200 » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 5:19 am

ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
they can always get a FDW to do that, can't they ?
Leticia to the rescue.

To be fair, none of the locals I know who served army depend on maids, not even when they have kids.
Do they have maids?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Re: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 7:56 am

Welcome to SG, OP. Yeap, many have become product of money-obsessed culture. And many aspects of life are given up (including one's soul :cry: ), in the fight and competition for money, money and more money.

And why do you think SG has the lowest birthrate in the whole wide world? They have forgotten the simple joy of baby-making activity.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 8:53 am

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
they can always get a FDW to do that, can't they ?
Leticia to the rescue.

To be fair, none of the locals I know who served army depend on maids, not even when they have kids.
Do they have maids?
No.

x9200

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by x9200 » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 10:15 am

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Leticia to the rescue.

Do they have maids?
No.
Your social circle is extraordinary. I am not aware of any local (and expat as a matter of fact) in mine who doesn't rely on FDWs. But yeah, there must be some, the 250k FDW population is not sufficient to wash all the cars by themselves.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 1:21 pm

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote: Do they have maids?
No.
Your social circle is extraordinary. I am not aware of any local (and expat as a matter of fact) in mine who doesn't rely on FDWs. But yeah, there must be some, the 250k FDW population is not sufficient to wash all the cars by themselves.
in this hdb place where I lived.. there was this family next door. family with NS guy, 3 dogs.. 1 maid and a bunch of people who i swore were shapeshifters, cause you'd find different people in that house each day.. even the dogs were shapeshifters cause i'd seen 5 different dogs on different days in the month.. :???: anyway they had this maid and he task on sundays was to iron a mountain of clothes,
and on monday morning.. i'd be in the lift with the NS guy.. his clothes neat and pressed and he'd be half awake and me with shabbily/hastily pressed clothes rushing off to work.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by bgd » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 1:44 pm

I have plenty of friends here, local and expat, who avoid Singaporean girls. For all the reasons already mentioned. Other Asian nationalities are generally fine, depending on the individuals concerned.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 1:57 pm

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
No.
It's possible if they are living at home, his mother becomes the maid.

I don't rely on FDW or a MiL. We manage it by ourselves and have done for all but 2 years when my 32 year old daughter was an infant.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 3:43 pm

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
No.
I know a lot of local and foreigner who don't have maids/help as well and some that do have help.

Its a personal choice.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 4:22 pm

bgd wrote:I have plenty of friends here, local and expat, who avoid Singaporean girls. For all the reasons already mentioned. Other Asian nationalities are generally fine, depending on the individuals concerned.
Princess syndrome is real and exists in Singapore. Saying that I have dated a few in between marriages. I would generally recommend Indians now over Chinese/Malay girls; Eurasians even more (rare though).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 5:08 pm

This! ^^^
:mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 5:32 pm

Barnsley wrote:
x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: No.
I know a lot of local and foreigner who don't have maids/help as well and some that do have help.

Its a personal choice.
Not always. With both us working full time and with a young kid there is no way we could survive in this country without some help. We never had any living in maid, but if we were not lucky to have a local nanny (and that we can afford her) the choice would be limited to quit the job or have a FDW.

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 6:06 pm

bgd wrote:I have plenty of friends here, local and expat, who avoid Singaporean girls. For all the reasons already mentioned. Other Asian nationalities are generally fine, depending on the individuals concerned.
Does "Singaporean girls" generally refer to SG Chinese gals or do other ethnic groups from SG behave similarly? Also am curious if Malaysian Chinese are any (culture/behavior) different from SG Chinese gals?

I don't date locals but, generally speaking, I find Malays/Indonesian girls/women to be more friendly (in food/cafe service) than Chinese gals/aunties.

Inquiring minds want to know ...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: To the male expats here, what has been your experience dating the local girls?

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 10:25 pm

x9200 wrote: Its a personal choice.
Not always. With both us working full time and with a young kid there is no way we could survive in this country without some help. We never had any living in maid, but if we were not lucky to have a local nanny (and that we can afford her) the choice would be limited to quit the job or have a FDW.[/quote]

going by the loads of ads in various sites, plus resumes posted, it's not like all 250k are working for SG folks.

A lot of expats on expat terms get maids as part of the package. And almost all Filipino maids who drop by my friend's agency work for expats, Indonesians - predominantly employed by locals.

imnoexpat

Post by imnoexpat » Wed, 08 Mar 2017 3:37 pm

Dukinson85 wrote:Another small little thing I have noticed is that the local girls can be quite fussy at times. They seem to enjoy complaining which can be quite a turn off.
For a second I thought you were referring to the Frenchies. :P

Anyway, local girl here. I was originally looking around for PR application tips for my husband when I chanced upon this thread.. so I registered just to reply to your post. At least, I hope to provide some insight on my fellow countrywomen. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion based on personal experiences and observations.

I know there is a general perception in this thread that Singaporean ladies are money-minded. There are those who are money-minded (I do apologise on their behalf). Then there are those who aren’t. It depends on who you meet. This is the same in any country.

As someone who has studied overseas for a short period of 5 years, met tons of non-local friends and married a non-local, I do agree that many Singaporean girls (in comparison to other Asian girls) take longer to warm up.

This could be due to high uncertainty avoidance. Singapore is known for it. If you are dating a local who has never dated non-locals, she will definitely take more time to warm up to you (she is not a 'cold fish'). She is probably just being cautious around you, hence more closed-up. Another explanation is that she is just playing hard-to-get. :/ Local women dislike being viewed as an ‘easy catch’.

Feeling like you’re hanging out with a guy friend? This is actually a popular dating style in Singapore, be it dating a local or non-local. Step 1, become friends. Step 2, paktor (Hokkien for dating). Step 1 makes it easier to judge a person’s character while being emotionally ‘less exposed’. It’s a great step for the risk-adverse women who want to play it safe. After all, who likes heartbreak? If she thinks you are a suitable romantic partner, then the real dating begins. (Yay!)

Duration of step 1 depends on how fast the pair becomes comfortable with one another. Of course, there are ladies who go straight to step 2. :)

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck with the local dating scene!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 08 Mar 2017 7:51 pm

^ nice answer.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!