Singapore Expats

Singaporean woman kicked out of UK after 27+ years and marriage

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Singaporean woman kicked out of UK after 27+ years and marriage

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 7:22 am

I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Singaporean woman kicked out of UK after 27+ years and marriage

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 8:05 am

Following in the footsteps of the asshole Trump.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 957008.php

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 8:51 am

True. But she never got a UK passport (no idea why she decided to keep SG passport, financial or sentimental) and then spent so long out of the UK that she lost her "PR".

The "right" thing to have done would have been to get a UK passport years ago and give up SG nationality

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 9:48 am

okonu wrote:True. But she never got a UK passport (no idea why she decided to keep SG passport, financial or sentimental) and then spent so long out of the UK that she lost her "PR".

The "right" thing to have done would have been to get a UK passport years ago and give up SG nationality
I agree, it does seem a shame as she cared for her parents and that was why she was not in the UK so much.

PeanutButterJam

Post by PeanutButterJam » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 9:57 am

okonu wrote:True. But she never got a UK passport (no idea why she decided to keep SG passport, financial or sentimental) and then spent so long out of the UK that she lost her "PR".

Last edited by PeanutButterJam on Tue, 28 Feb 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutButterJam

Post by PeanutButterJam » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 9:58 am

PeanutButterJam wrote:

Well, perhaps at first she's thinking that if one day she had a divorce, or her husband passed away she had the option to come back to Singapore, a place she's more familiar with? then as years went on, she became more british and started to regard uk as her home. Bythen, she should have applied for a uk passport

PeanutButterJam

Post by PeanutButterJam » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 10:04 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Following in the footsteps of the asshole Trump.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 957008.php
It's a recent thing that the uk became very strict with looking out for illegal overstayers. that is before Brexit as they are desperately trying to limit immigration but realise they can not stop EU immigration. As a result they target the ones they could, even though these are the people who really did contribute to the country. Foreign spouses of british citizens can only remain in the country if the brit spouse has a salary at a certain level (that's rather high). This is a new rule only some time back.
Last edited by PeanutButterJam on Tue, 28 Feb 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutButterJam

Post by PeanutButterJam » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 10:05 am

PNGMK wrote:

I agree, it does seem a shame as she cared for her parents and that was why she was not in the UK so much.
Sad.

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 7:40 am

to my knowledge, an indefinite leave to remain (ILR) holder cannot be away from UK for more than two years. one needs to apply for a returning resident visa from the British High Commission in order to return to the UK.

She left UK in 1992 and tried to return in 1999. This was way long overdue for an indefinite leave to remain holder.

Let's hope that the Home Office is compassionate enough to cut her some slack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 8:23 am

This incident has had me thinking about leaving Singapore sooner rather than later and settling my American wife and child permanently somewhere...

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 8:31 am

Every country has their rule n law.
If she dont bother to respect the law of the country. She has no right to demand to stay.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 10:35 am

therat wrote:Every country has their rule n law.
If she dont bother to respect the law of the country. She has no right to demand to stay.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Spoken like a true "tea-billy" Republican. F*ck these people... they're marginalized humans anyway. Easy to beat up. Easy to denigrate. Easy to generate all the rationalizations as to why it's OK to treat them like shit. Get rid of them!!! Solve all our problems. Deport them! Life is so much better now that she has been run out of the country! Be proud of your efforts.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 11:35 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Spoken like a true "tea-billy" Republican. F*ck these people... they're marginalized humans anyway. Easy to beat up. Easy to denigrate. Easy to generate all the rationalizations as to why it's OK to treat them like shit. Get rid of them!!! Solve all our problems. Deport them! Life is so much better now that she has been run out of the country! Be proud of your efforts.
And that is the problem, we are going to see a lot more of this with the anti-immigration and nationalistic fervor which seems to be sweeping the world.

Research indicates that, on the whole, immigrates are net contributors to a country. I wonder if they factored in the care costs for her spouse, now that she isn't around to look after him.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 1:14 pm

bgd wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
And that is the problem, we are going to see a lot more of this with the anti-immigration and nationalistic fervor which seems to be sweeping the world.

Research indicates that, on the whole, immigrates are net contributors to a country. I wonder if they factored in the care costs for her spouse, now that she isn't around to look after him.
OF course they haven't, not her own contributions to the UK.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Singaporean woman kicked out of UK after 27+ years and marriage

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 11:37 pm

submitbg wrote:
This is seriously appalling. Surely there must be some process for deporting people that takes longer than that so everything can be sorted out in a civil manner, no? I'm not for total open borders and there are good arguments on both sides, as mentioned immigrants overall are better, but this is just unfair. What's worse is that they put you on the next flight with the change you have in your pocket and that's it. It's cases like these that only hurt arguments from people who are anti-immigration not on bigoted basis.
I don't have nothing to do with UK but when you read how the system allows abusers to use public money to prolong their stay - in the name of fairness. ... I don't know what to say ...

Example : a mother with quintiplets supposedly has run up a bill of over 500k UKP but can't be asked to leave or can she be forced to pay - in the name of "rights .. "

Yes, I read Daily Wail a lot but the stories there aren't made up. Even though they may be sensationalized ...

PS, a very close relative of mine is a strong advocate of rights for migrants and refugees - never had the chance to ask her what she thinks of situations where folks abuse the system wantonly...