Singapore Expats

We are getting $500 off in our taxes this year! :D

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

We are getting $500 off in our taxes this year! :D

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 22 Feb 2017 8:26 pm

Not sure, if people already know this; we will be getting $500 off our taxes that we pay this year, compared to last year. :) I had a look at the tax calculator and saw the new rebate. Then google'd for it and found this is in the media too:

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/governm ... -20-of-tax

I am always amazed at how inspite of taxes being low in Singapore, IRAS surprises us with rebates every year!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: We are getting $500 off in our taxes this year! :D

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Feb 2017 10:37 pm

It was in the budget speech on Tuesday afternoon.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 22 Feb 2017 10:49 pm

From one hand they taketh from the other they giveth.

Your water bills are going up, your power will go up with the carbon tax and if you're planning on a decent new motorbike (not a small one) add $2000 to your budget. $500 is nothing esp when they have no done anything to the pitifully low rebates for spouses/kids etc - you notice they only have to pay it roughly 4/5 of a million tax payers (800,000). I seem to recall a $2000 rebate a few years back.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 23 Feb 2017 10:56 pm

Wd40 wrote:Not sure, if people already know this; we will be getting $500 off our taxes that we pay this year, compared to last year. :) I had a look at the tax calculator and saw the new rebate. Then google'd for it and found this is in the media too:

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/governm ... -20-of-tax

I am always amazed at how inspite of taxes being low in Singapore, IRAS surprises us with rebates every year!
You mean direct taxation right?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 24 Feb 2017 8:00 am

WD40 is ....

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 24 Feb 2017 5:28 pm

Yes I meant personal income tax which is direct taxation.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 10:20 pm

PNGMK wrote:From one hand they taketh from the other they giveth.

Your water bills are going up, your power will go up with the carbon tax and if you're planning on a decent new motorbike (not a small one) add $2000 to your budget. $500 is nothing esp when they have no done anything to the pitifully low rebates for spouses/kids etc - you notice they only have to pay it roughly 4/5 of a million tax payers (800,000). I seem to recall a $2000 rebate a few years back.
I still prefer direct taxes to be as low as possible so that I can then choose what I pay for. I just logged into IRAS, it is really nicely revamped. My employer has done auto filing and now I need to efile the B1. Its not only awesome that now I can see my estimated taxes right away, the tax amount itself, for my salary of just over 100k, is ~$4800! Now how awesome is that? This is like peanuts. In any other country I would have had to earmark like couple or more months of salary to pay taxes. In Singapore it is about one months savings. I dont mind paying extra $10 per month for water. I stopped riding motor bike. Overall thoroughly pleased with Singapore's taxation.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 02 Mar 2017 5:22 am

Wd40 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:From one hand they taketh from the other they giveth.

I still prefer direct taxes to be as low as possible so that I can then choose what I pay for. I just logged into IRAS, it is really nicely revamped. My employer has done auto filing and now I need to efile the B1. Its not only awesome that now I can see my estimated taxes right away, the tax amount itself, for my salary of just over 100k, is ~$4800! Now how awesome is that? This is like peanuts. In any other country I would have had to earmark like couple or more months of salary to pay taxes. In Singapore it is about one months savings. I dont mind paying extra $10 per month for water. I stopped riding motor bike. Overall thoroughly pleased with Singapore's taxation.
I have no issue with Singapore's taxation system. I am concerned that the general trend is to increase their tax base due to demographic issues and that will be another reason to leave (ignoring this $500 bonus).

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 02 Mar 2017 1:10 pm

PNGMK wrote: I have no issue with Singapore's taxation system. I am concerned that the general trend is to increase their tax base due to demographic issues and that will be another reason to leave (ignoring this $500 bonus).

On that, the biggest question will be the continuous and on-going chorus around the possible GST increase.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE