Singapore Expats

Entering Singapore with different Name in Passport

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
wicked26

Entering Singapore with different Name in Passport

Post by wicked26 » Sun, 19 Feb 2017 6:12 am

Hello,

I just want to know if there will be a problem in Immigration or would they even find out if I enter with a different passport with completely new identity?

To make the story short, I travelled to Singapore a few times before using my old name and old birthdate (please dont ask me why its very classified). However, on my last travel using my old identity I got interrogated due to some minor issue which led them to record my fingerprint / biometrics but they still let me in with regular 30day visit pass.

Now, I got my new passport with completely different identity and different birthdate and I am not allowed to use my old identity anymore. I am worried that when I enter singapore again using my new passport with my new identity that they would find out about my previous one. Is it possible? Let's say if I get interrogated again in immigration then yes ofcourse but my question is if they would find it out right away as soon as I enter the immigration counter at the airport. Does there system is so hightech that they would find it out from there? I know this question sounds odd but I still just want to know if there is anyone out here who had the same case like mine.

My old passport photo looks completely different with my new one as I had some cosmetic surgeries done before but it was only to make myself more beautiful. I came from a country where everybody does it so please dont ask me why again.

Note: I haven't committed any crimes nor had any bad records in singapore before. Let's just say I had a chance to start a new life and I cannot use my old identity anymore.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Entering Singapore with different Name in Passport

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 19 Feb 2017 8:00 am

It's all a bit cloak and dagger but there you go.

So long as you come in with a completely new identity, there won't be any reason for Singapore to cross-reference you wholesale with their database. Although, that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a spot check all the same. But in all likelihood, this won't pop any flags.

However, the minute you're asked to leave your fingerprints, the duplicate prints may trigger their software. Obviously, you'll then be in a world of hurt, unless you can demonstrate your situation is legitimate and government-sanctioned, which you said you're not permitted to do.

Bottom line: Unless you can explain yourself and you have supporting evidence to back you up, it's going to be risky.

By the way, I'm not an expert on visa/immigration matters; above is just my personal opinion.

Wondering what the board's seniors have to say.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 19 Feb 2017 8:22 am

If you legitimately have been permitted to change your ID you will be ok. If you're just another con artist hoping to get away with using your uncles aunties passport you won't. In the first case you wouldn't be asking here because you failed the first rule of being associated with a 3/4 letter agency.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Entering Singapore with different Name in Passport

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 19 Feb 2017 9:17 am

wicked26 wrote: My old passport photo looks completely different with my new one as I had some cosmetic surgeries done before but it was only to make myself more beautiful. I came from a country where everybody does it so please dont ask me why again.

Note: I haven't committed any crimes nor had any bad records in singapore before. Let's just say I had a chance to start a new life and I cannot use my old identity anymore.
Singapore uses facial recognition, I am told.

So unless your face changed, not just your passport but also your actual face, plus your finger print is brand new, don't be surprised if picked up by ICA.

PS, did you change your sex ? That may confuse ICA.

BTW, facial recognition is able to match even if you have done cosmetic surgery.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 19 Feb 2017 5:28 pm

wicked26 wrote:Hello,

I just want to know if there will be a problem in Immigration or would they even find out if I enter with a different passport with completely new identity?

To make the story short, I travelled to Singapore a few times before using my old name and old birthdate (please dont ask me why its very classified). However, on my last travel using my old identity I got interrogated due to some minor issue which led them to record my fingerprint / biometrics but they still let me in with regular 30day visit pass.

Now, I got my new passport with completely different identity and different birthdate and I am not allowed to use my old identity anymore. I am worried that when I enter singapore again using my new passport with my new identity that they would find out about my previous one. Is it possible? Let's say if I get interrogated again in immigration then yes ofcourse but my question is if they would find it out right away as soon as I enter the immigration counter at the airport. Does there system is so hightech that they would find it out from there? I know this question sounds odd but I still just want to know if there is anyone out here who had the same case like mine.

My old passport photo looks completely different with my new one as I had some cosmetic surgeries done before but it was only to make myself more beautiful. I came from a country where everybody does it so please dont ask me why again.

most countries' DE card will ask (something along the line of): have you used a different name to enter the country before? if so, what name... etc.

i would declare it, because you will likely be denied entry and possibly banned for making a false declaration.

they don't usually ask for a change in birth date, but i can see that the immigration officer will likely pull your old records up and tally details between your two passports if you do declare it.

you not be found out immediately if you do not declare your old name, but on the off chance that they find your behavior suspicious, can you deal with everything that comes with being detained and questioned?

further, will you be stopped again by immigration for a similar "minor issue"?

beyond making a false declaration, if your new identity is not legal/recognized by your country, then you're in for a stint at another part of Changi... not the airport.

if your birth date change was legal, bring the documents a long. if you're under witness protection, you would already know why you should not be visiting singapore.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Entering Singapore with different Name in Passport

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 19 Feb 2017 10:20 pm

taxico wrote: i would declare it, because you will likely be denied entry and possibly banned for making a false declaration.
banned ? There's possible detention for false declaration before being deported and banned.

And a ban in A country can set off alarm bells in other countries. Starting from where you get returned to.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 7:44 am

wicked26 wrote:Hello,

Quoting because this tard will probably try to delete.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 8:40 am

There is a question in the immigration card that asks if you have entered Singapore previously using a passport under another name. You must answer yes to this question. Changing names is not common but for sure Singapore has protocols to deal with these issues. You may be interviewed further to ascertain whether to let you in or not.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:35 am

Is this your passport photo?

You are Jason Bourne / David Webb /... I win $50!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 5:43 pm

I recall reading somewhere a while back that a character called xxx (google "1MDB - person of interest") actually entered Singapore on a false passport. Not sure the details though...other than he did not get caught.