Singapore Expats

PR Chances - Feb 2017

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Accent

Re: PR Chances - Feb 2017

Post by Accent » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 3:28 pm

Guys need help to evaluate my chances:

Nationality: Indian
Duration in Singapore; since 2008
MBA in international business
Salary: 13k basis per month and 200k including bonus
Industry: Big MNC insurance company
Profile: Heading sales team
Have been in company for 5 years
Last 2 noa 20k plus every year

Applied twice before and rejected

Already waiting for more than 2 months so just curious

Please any advise will be helpful

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 5:35 pm

Accent wrote:Guys need help to evaluate my chances:

Nationality: Indian
Duration in Singapore; since 2008
MBA in international business
Salary: 13k basis per month and 200k including bonus
Industry: Big MNC insurance company
Profile: Heading sales team
Have been in company for 5 years
Last 2 noa 20k plus every year

Applied twice before and rejected

Already waiting for more than 2 months so just curious

Please any advise will be helpful
Chances are very less. Around 20% may be

Accent

Post by Accent » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 5:43 pm

What's the reason for skin chances. Is it only because of nationality.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 6:01 pm

Primarily. However, were you by chance headhunted from another major MNC insurance company and brought in to head up sales? This is similar to what happens in the banks and causes a lot of 'C' level and Sr VPs appointments not to be able to get PR either. ICA thinks that people in the stratosphere level will leave at the drop of an additional 30K/pa. Not saying this is the case but we've seen lots of people in the financial district with 200~450K salaries apply but rejected (not just Indians either). You have what looks like a double whammy, but again, we only have anecdotal evidence to go by and try to see the patterns. Of course, the added ammunition of having a family and property, while not a guarantee of anything would make an early 30's type of guy look a bit more stable as they might think a little harder when jumping ship, as it were. But. If your are determined, keep plugging away at it and they might turn around. We have had people tell us they were finally successful after 5 or 6 attempts, but it's usually 3rd hand evidence and not by an actual poster here so we tend to take it with a grain of salt.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Accent

Post by Accent » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 2:40 pm

No I have been in same insurance company for 5 years and have been promoted 4 times to reach head of sales. So I have worked hard to reach this level. I have worked and studied in China and Europe before does that help as well?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 3:36 pm

It may and it may not. How long did you spend in each country, not too long I don't suppose if you are only 30 something. The variety might be an asset but the shifting every couple of years might send the wrong signals as well. It's a hard one to pin down. Were you in the insurance industry in those countries?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Accent

Post by Accent » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 4:10 pm

Europe for studies and then China for a short while and then got transferred to Singapore. No previously in asset management and consulting but so 5 years with insurance and only in this company and can see the progress. Salary got more than double in 5 years.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 8:54 pm

I'd go for it but with the idea of testing the waters, if you know what I mean. It's a case where I have my doubts but at the same time we've seen some surprises in recent month (few and far between but some nonetheless). I feel your age and marital status might be a detriment, but at the same time, your work history here is very good, so if you could end up with a local girl and maybe produce some cannon fodder for their NS you would probably be a shoe-in. Anyway, give it a go and if you get it, then just say, "See, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus." :mrgreen:

Accent

Post by Accent » Sat, 25 Nov 2017 10:31 am

Thank s for your help. I have already applied and just waiting now. Good thing is that it's already 2 months Cz last time it was rejected quite fast. I am on PEP as well so maybe that might help Cz last time when I applied I was holding EP.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Nov 2017 11:39 pm

That is definitely a plus. the PEP was originally designed as a stepping stone for PR anyway. It got so abused the I think the ICA more or less gave up on it, as most just used it to not have to worry about leaving the country after 30 days when trying to change jobs. Maybe that will be enough to send you through. Good Luck. :)

Accent

Post by Accent » Sun, 26 Nov 2017 2:08 am

Thank a lot for your help. Will keep you posted once I hear back.

ChanL

Post by ChanL » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 10:34 am

Hi !

We have also applied for PR since Feb 2017 and it's still pending. ):

Alittle background of us.

My then BF has applied for PR on 13 Feb 17 under the PTS Scheme using his Spass with his monthly salary of $3.2K. He is malaysian chinese, 27 year old. And has been here for 7 years and working in his current company for 5 years. Cons for him will be his education level, only SPM(O level) cert.

We got married in mid 2017 and we submitted our marriage cert by email. For me, Im a singaporean chinese by birth. My background: 25 year old, $2.8k, working for a year only. Uni grad, Accounts Finance line.

Recently we got his LTVP and forgo his SPass, im not sure if it will affect his current PR Application, as i wrote in but no replies yet..

Just like to know, how you all evaluate? Wanna boost my own faith only.. After a nearly 10months wait, im getting more and more impatient.. ): As we're planning to get a resale flat out in the market but HLE dont take his into account ...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:03 pm

First of all, you should have waited until you had been married for at least two years. Otherwise, he stands the chance of of looking like he got married only to apply for PR. While I'm sure this is not the case, there have been so many of this type of thing that ICA is wary, to say the least. This is the reason for 2 years of marriage.

However, on the plus side, you are a Singaporean and both are of the desired ethnic group (PAP style) so there is still a good chance, however, you might get rejected on the first go as it's too quick. ICA wonders when PR applications are submitted as soon as you get married to a foreigner. They tend to think that the foreigner is marrying a local girl only to get PR here and may leave her afterwards. While this is probably not the case, ICA has seen it happen many times. However as you husband is M'sian Chinese you may well succeed. But I still don see it happening on the first try. (I don't think his education will hamper him as he's already here on a S pass for quite some time).

ChanL

Post by ChanL » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:39 pm

Morning sundaymorningstaple!

Thanks for the reply man. Hmms, we're not sure if it's a good thing to apply now or later. You know la, abit ganchiong spider. We wanted to settle down with a place of our own, since we're already married and planning to have kids (may be in 2 years time). Without a roof over our head, like no security ley.. But well, we're hoping for the best of cos. If not we might just play by the ears lo.

I have heard alot of people telling us not to pin high hopes as most first submission will be rejected. We only heard 2 stories of approval on first tries so far, all friend's friend.. Which, of cos... We also hope we belong to that also la.

We actually applied for the pre-marriage long term pass late last year, then he go ahead with his PR application in feb. Then followed by our marriage and recently we got our LTVP& LOC. I dont know how it may be seems to others, but well.. Just keeping our finger crossed now. Dont think we can do anything, other then wait...

Anyone got their's approved this month? Haven seen any post on approval status for this month or last ley.. wondering..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 1:18 pm

Just keep your fingers crossed. Maybe there is a Santa Claus! :D