Singapore Expats

Electric Vehicles in Singapore

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Electric Vehicles in Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Nov 2017 1:06 pm

Squirrel, he's not a Troll, just an immature Jerk. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

MotoristMel

Post by MotoristMel » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 5:23 pm

Actually you can save up on getting an electrical vehicle as Singapore’s different locations and facilities are pretty close by. Apart from public transport, we’ve got bikes from various bike sharing companies. These bikes can be found in either designated bike parking locations or random spots. Or may I know where go you usually frequent? Say if your work place is pretty isolated/ deserted and you’re living in the far end, then it’s another story altogether
You can call me Mel

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Dec 2020 2:03 am

The government has actually been encouraging people to purchase Electric vehicles for quite some time now by introducing discounts of multiple thousand dollars in order to incentivize car buyers to pick the more eco-friendly electric option. However, in my opinion the discounts are not nearly enough since electric vehicles are significantly more expensive than their gas powered counterparts. The discount, at its very best, may just cover the premium of the electric car. With both types of cars now costing the same, no rational car buyer would choose to buy the car with limited charging options.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Feb 2021 1:17 pm

Unless you don't mind paying up to $8/liter for fuel, that is. No rational car buyer would buy an ICE car knowing the drive for green means raising the costs of Hydrocarbon fuels to a point where it really hurts. It's coming.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 25 Feb 2021 1:08 am

If you’re only planning on staying short term like the 2 years you mentioned, I suggest you explore taking public transport of using ride-hailing apps like Grab. Singapore’s public transport network is incredibly well-developed, making travel very convenient compared to, for example, traveling in the states. Alternatively, if you decide to stay longer, Tesla recently announced that it would be selling the model 3s here with delivery taking place sometime in the middle of the year. They start at $112,000 before COE, which is relatively afrodable compared to the other EVs currently available in Singapore.