Singapore Expats

Electric Vehicles in Singapore

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
Tybe

Electric Vehicles in Singapore

Post by Tybe » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:23 pm

Hi there,

I am planning on come in Singapore this summer for an undetermined period and I'll probably buy a car once there :-k
I wanted to have opinions from people living here cause I was thinking of an electric vehicle.
What's your opinion about that, is it easy to buy one there and do you have an idea of the price it would be ?

Thank you all [-o<

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Electric Vehicles in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:58 pm

Tybe wrote:Hi there,

I am planning on come in Singapore this summer for an undetermined period and I'll probably buy a car once there :-k
I wanted to have opinions from people living here cause I was thinking of an electric vehicle.
What's your opinion about that, is it easy to buy one there and do you have an idea of the price it would be ?

Thank you all [-o<
What will your residency status here be, to buy a car ?

There are hybrids and few charging stations for electric cars, even a few 100% electric taxis.

Tybe

Post by Tybe » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 12:11 am

ecureilx wrote:

Thank you all [-o<

There are hybrids and few charging stations for electric cars, even a few 100% electric taxis.
I'll be there for at least two years, I have an employment pass that will be renewed hopefully after the two years.

But I've never been there. So maybe a hybrid or using cabs would be more convenient ?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 6:49 am

Tybe wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Thank you all [-o<

I'll be there for at least two years, I have an employment pass that will be renewed hopefully after the two years.

But I've never been there. So maybe a hybrid or using cabs would be more convenient ?
Sorry for the question, just to ensure, are you aware how much the cars cost in Singapore? I mean in general. I don't think the electric ones would be any substantially cheaper.

Suggestion: google Tesla Singapore and whatever promising you may find, take a note that the money mentioned is a rebate, but there is also another word, surcharge.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Electric Vehicles in Singapore

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 8:37 am

There are no leafs, volts etc for sale. There are some PHEV (BMW) but there are issues:

1. condo's are not set up for charging them.
2. Very few charging stations.
3. They cost around min $200,000.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 9:43 am

PNGMK wrote:There are no leafs, volts etc for sale. There are some PHEV (BMW) but there are issues:

HDB have charging station or not?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 9:45 am

Barnsley wrote:
PNGMK wrote:There are no leafs, volts etc for sale. There are some PHEV (BMW) but there are issues:

HDB have charging station or not?

IDK, if they do I have never seen one which means they are rare.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 10:04 am

Not yet, but coming. Initially in Ang Mo Kio, Jurong East and Punggol by mid-2017.

https://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.a ... 4b3fad7924
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Electric Vehicles in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 10:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not yet, but coming. Initially in Ang Mo Kio, Jurong East and Punggol by mid-2017.

https://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.a ... 4b3fad7924
LTA is doing trial in their HQ and Sin King and 6 other places. Seen a few Leaf and the Tiny car (Mitsubishi ?)

back to OP, Sg inc says so far the electric vehicles aren't carbon neutral or energy efficient to qualify for rebates. Plus doubt you can lease 'em.

Of course if you can put up 200k up front, fret not.

Good luck.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 2:42 pm

The premium for electric vehicles is prohibitive, certainly more than any fuel savings you might enjoy over the life of the vehicle. That was my conclusion when I did a little research recently. That wasn't Singapore, but it would be the same here, just a much higher price threshold.

I like the benefits of electric and realize that cost is not the only motivating factor, but I reckon they have some way to go before being a reasonable alternative to the other options available.

OP, a car in Sg is an unnecessary luxury for most. You may find a combination of public transport and taxis are more than sufficient. Will certainly be cheaper. Would be very interested to hear what you decide when you do arrive.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 11:33 pm

suppose you don't live near a charging station... you will likely need to find a private (landed) property so you can park you vehicle near a wall unit to charge.

installing a personal charging pod is not cheap.

16k (low end), 25k (mid), 65k (high end but 3 phase)

SGD. GST included... the pricier it is, the faster you can recharge your EV.

there is also a 100k charging system that will juice up your car really quickly, but not worth the premium over the 65k option listed above.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

BeJa222

Post by BeJa222 » Mon, 17 Apr 2017 2:27 pm

Tybe wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

errr...better just take a taxi mate, especially if you're not even sure of your status here. car costs here are unbelievable.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 05 Jul 2017 11:31 am

Adane wrote:i think you should go by BMW. It is affordable
Bus Metro or Walk lah! :mrgreen:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Thu, 06 Jul 2017 10:17 pm

Thank you all [-o<
BMW requires you to live in landed property here before they'll sell you an i3 :D .

There is this story of a guy who imported a used Tesla into Singapore and had to jump through multiple hoops

https://www.stuff.tv/sg/features/be-pre ... -singapore

jagermeister

Post by jagermeister » Sat, 04 Nov 2017 1:23 am

If you’re visiting for just 2 years, pls don’t get any cars. Cabs/ public transport/ even hitching a ride is just fine. Pls dont make our life more difficult by increasing the number of cars on the road. Im alr having difficulties getting to work tyvm
thanks wind, you totally raped my hair