Singapore Expats

[Enquiry]Baby Dual Citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
eddyedward

[Enquiry]Baby Dual Citizenship

Post by eddyedward » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 9:11 am

Greetings.
My name is Edward.
I am looking through a few posts regarding to baby dual citizenship (SG+MY) and I am still in confusion.
I hope anyone with knowledge with the topic is able to assist me. Thank you.

[Situation]
-I am a SPR and my wife is Singaporean. Our baby will be delivered in Singapore and we intend for him to be Singaporean.
-As both my wife and I are working, our baby might need to stay in Malaysia for a couple of months(Penang). So stamping passports every 30 days is not really possible.
-My wife and I are legally married in Singapore(of course), however we did not register our marriage in Malaysia. Hence...

[Questions]
1. Do we initially need to register our marriage in Malaysia embassy?
2. How do we register a Malaysia passport for our baby? (Where)

Thanks for reading and thank you for assisting.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Re: [Enquiry]Baby Dual Citizenship

Post by jamie9vardy » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 12:35 pm

eddyedward wrote:Greetings.
My name is Edward.
I am looking through a few posts regarding to baby dual citizenship (SG+MY) and I am still in confusion.
I hope anyone with knowledge with the topic is able to assist me. Thank you.

[Situation]
-I am a SPR and my wife is Singaporean. Our baby will be delivered in Singapore and we intend for him to be Singaporean.
-As both my wife and I are working, our baby might need to stay in Malaysia for a couple of months(Penang). So stamping passports every 30 days is not really possible.
-My wife and I are legally married in Singapore(of course), however we did not register our marriage in Malaysia. Hence...

[Questions]
1. Do we initially need to register our marriage in Malaysia embassy?
2. How do we register a Malaysia passport for our baby? (Where)

Thanks for reading and thank you for assisting.
http://www.kln.gov.my/web/Singapore_singapore ... riage_cert

Hope this helps

eddyedward

Post by eddyedward » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 1:53 pm

Thank you. It helps a bit.
For have baby Malaysia passport, the requirement however is both parent needs to be Malaysian.
My wife is a Singaporean.

So, still puzzling.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 3:23 pm

Not puzzling at all. Even as bad as Malaysian Government writing is, the following is pretty straightforward from my reading...
Conditions of Application
Child has not been registered as Singapore Citizen;
Registration must be done within one year from the date of birth of child;
Both parents are Malaysian;
Father (Malaysian);
Single Mother (Malaysian);
Child / children must be present during registration; and
Parents whose marriage was solemnised by the Register of Marriage ROM Singapore, must re-register their marriage at the High Commission of Malaysia in Singapore before registering the birth of child. Only applicable if both parents are Malaysians.
A child, born to a Singaporean mother in Singapore is a Singaporean by birth and cannot escape that fact. The fact that one parent is NOT Singaporean has no effect on that. Because the child is Singaporean by birth, then the child cannot be registered as a Malaysian citizen. The difference is if the birth takes place outside of Singapore, e.g., Malaysia. Then it's possible that the child will be a Malaysian but not able to gain Singaporean citizenship (but possibly PR eventually and then somewhere down to road, maybe SGC).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 5:29 pm

eddyedward wrote: -As both my wife and I are working, our baby might need to stay in Malaysia for a couple of months(Penang). So stamping passports every 30 days is not really possible.
How about applying LTVP for your parent(s) to have them here to help out with the baby?