Singapore Expats Forum

Temporary stay overseas as an SPR + chances of citizenship?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
blahlife
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 12 Feb 2017

Temporary stay overseas as an SPR + chances of citizenship?

Postby blahlife » Sun, 12 Feb 2017 9:00 pm

Hi, long-term lurker, first-time poster here!
I am a Vietnamese female PR. I've been in Singapore for over 10 years (studied from secondary school through local university) and am currently a working professional with annual income ~50K. I am also married to a Singaporean.
My Re-entry permit is up for the 1st renewal next year and I am also considering applying for citizenship.
My questions are:
1) My husband will most likely be starting further studies overseas next year, and hence I will be residing overseas with him for 4-6 years. What then will happen when my PR is up for renewal again? The required documents/details for REP renewal comprise residence, employment information and Singaporean spouse's IC. Are these actually the conditions for successful renewal? Basically, does it matter that for my 2nd renewal, I will have been overseas for an extended period and I can only submit my spouse's IC together with my overseas employment details (not sure whether I can even submit this)? My fellow Vietnamese are not having much success applying for PR these days so I can't imagine having to apply again.
2) The above scenario is with the assumption that my citizenship application won't succeed. What are my chances? My income is rather average and again, considering my nationality, I probably will not apply based on my own merit but instead as spouse of a Singaporean. Does that boost my chances or is there no difference? My husband's annual income is currently 85k, does that matter?
Thanks a lot in advance for your advice, both over the years and this time too! :)

Edited thread title for more clarity.
Last edited by blahlife on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1532
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Temporary stay overseas as an SPR

Postby singaporeflyer » Sun, 12 Feb 2017 9:31 pm

blahlife wrote:Hi, long-term lurker, first-time poster here!
I am a Vietnamese female PR. I've been in Singapore for over 10 years (studied from secondary school through local university) and am currently a working professional with annual income ~50K. I am also married to a Singaporean.
My Re-entry permit is up for the 1st renewal next year and I am also considering applying for citizenship.
My questions are:
1) My husband will most likely be starting further studies overseas next year, and hence I will be residing overseas with him for 4-6 years. What then will happen when my PR is up for renewal again? The required documents/details for REP renewal comprise residence, employment information and Singaporean spouse's IC. Are these actually the conditions for successful renewal? Basically, does it matter that for my 2nd renewal, I will have been overseas for an extended period and I can only submit my spouse's IC together with my overseas employment details (not sure whether I can even submit this)? My fellow Vietnamese are not having much success applying for PR these days so I can't imagine having to apply again.
2) The above scenario is with the assumption that my citizenship application won't succeed. What are my chances? My income is rather average and again, considering my nationality, I probably will not apply based on my own merit but instead as spouse of a Singaporean. Does that boost my chances or is there no difference? My husband's annual income is currently 85k, does that matter?
Thanks a lot in advance for your advice, both over the years and this time too! :)


Did you get your PR as a spouse of Singapore citizen or via the PTS Scheme?

blahlife
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 12 Feb 2017

Re: Temporary stay overseas as an SPR

Postby blahlife » Sun, 12 Feb 2017 10:01 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:Did you get your PR as a spouse of Singapore citizen or via the PTS Scheme?

I had an offer letter while I was in school and applied with that.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5764
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Temporary stay overseas as an SPR

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 13 Feb 2017 8:30 am

If you can get SC that would be the best scenario. However I have renewed by REP overseas while working overseas. What you need to be able to show is an ongoing connection and plan to return to Singapore. Having a SC spouse helps (the REP's I've heard of not being renewed always have that missing) and have a valid reason for being away from Singapore (which further studies definitely is - also employment transfers). Continue to file your Singapore taxes while overseas; update ICA with your addresses and I think it will actually be ok.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1532
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Temporary stay overseas as an SPR

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 13 Feb 2017 11:23 am

blahlife wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:Did you get your PR as a spouse of Singapore citizen or via the PTS Scheme?

I had an offer letter while I was in school and applied with that.


Looks like you have got your PR via the PTS Scheme. If you are working overseas and stay more than 2 years overseas, your REP may not be renewed or you may be given a 1 year REP extension after which you have to work and reside in Singapore to renew it again.

But having a SC spouse may help.

blahlife
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 12 Feb 2017

Re: Temporary stay overseas as an SPR

Postby blahlife » Mon, 13 Feb 2017 9:11 pm

PNGMK wrote:If you can get SC that would be the best scenario. However I have renewed by REP overseas while working overseas. What you need to be able to show is an ongoing connection and plan to return to Singapore. Having a SC spouse helps (the REP's I've heard of not being renewed always have that missing) and have a valid reason for being away from Singapore (which further studies definitely is - also employment transfers). Continue to file your Singapore taxes while overseas; update ICA with your addresses and I think it will actually be ok.

Thanks for your advice! To clarify, the one studying overseas is my husband, I am just following him and planning to seek employment while I'm there. I am not sure if that is sufficiently valid or the one with the further studies/employment transfers has to be me myself.

singaporeflyer wrote:Looks like you have got your PR via the PTS Scheme. If you are working overseas and stay more than 2 years overseas, your REP may not be renewed or you may be given a 1 year REP extension after which you have to work and reside in Singapore to renew it again.

But having a SC spouse may help.

Thanks for your advice! I really hope the worst case is being given a 1 year REP renewal during which time I can seek employment and solidify my connection to Singapore though I can't all be sure.

I will try my luck at my SC application and see how it goes. Any insight about that would be much appreciated!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest