Singapore Expats

Working for a foreign employer in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Casneuf

Working for a foreign employer in Singapore

Post by Casneuf » Fri, 10 Feb 2017 10:59 am

Hi Guys,

My employer is located in Europe and so is my contract, yet I have to work & live in singapore for 1+ year.
Most of the documentation i found is structured around getting a local contract & getting an EP.
Now I'm wondering if it's possible to work in singapore for longer than 6 months on a foreign contract.

I don't have a problem with paying local taxes.

Thanks!
C.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Working for a foreign employer in Singapore

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 10 Feb 2017 1:28 pm

Your employer needs a legal business entity in Singapore in order to employ you.

Or, you need to incorporate your own company, apply for EP so that you can live here and work under a contract you obtained from the foreign company.

You cannot work at all in Singapore without a legal Singapore business entity hiring and sponsoring you.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 10 Feb 2017 8:40 pm

Casneuf wrote:My employer is located in Europe and so is my contract, yet I have to work & live in singapore for 1+ year.
may i ask what are the reason(s) behind your working/living in singapore for 1+ year?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Casneuf

Post by Casneuf » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 2:31 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Your employer needs a legal business entity in Singapore in order to employ you.

Or, you need to incorporate your own company, apply for EP so that you can live here and work under a contract you obtained from the foreign company.

You cannot work at all in Singapore without a legal Singapore business entity hiring and sponsoring you.
Thanks for the info. So if they set up a legal entity in Singapore, I can keep my foreign (European) contract & still have the EP. That's good news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 3:24 am

Casneuf wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Your employer needs a legal business entity in Singapore in order to employ you.

Thanks for the info. So if they set up a legal entity in Singapore, I can keep my foreign (European) contract & still have the EP. That's good news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Issuance of EP's is not guaranteed. You must meet minimum education, experience, and salary qualifications. You should go to the MoM website and take the assessment test. Doesn't mean you will get an EP, just means you meet minimum qualifications to apply.

Next, the company must convince MoM that it is legitimate. Far too many scammers try to get into Singapore with fake companies. If your company is well known, or has a track record and legitimate reasons for wanting you in Singapore, it probably won't be an issue.

Spottyb

Post by Spottyb » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 1:11 pm

Hi. New to the boards, but have similar question.

Husband may be transferred to Singapore from Australia. I already work 'remotely' here so continuing my role in singapore would not be an issue for my employer. I simply need a good internet connection.

Based on the posts above, my employer would have to register Singapore, however what tax implications are there for myself and my employer in Singapore, if they continue to pay me in AUD? Is this even possible?

We are getting some tax advice for ourselves, but wondering if this is something my employer could do before I float them the idea. I don't really want to have to look for work in Singapore, if I could continue with the role I have now.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 3:04 pm

Spottyb wrote:Hi. New to the boards, but have similar question.

Husband may be transferred to Singapore from Australia. I already work 'remotely' here so continuing my role in singapore would not be an issue for my employer. I simply need a good internet connection.

Based on the posts above, my employer would have to register Singapore, however what tax implications are there for myself and my employer in Singapore, if they continue to pay me in AUD? Is this even possible?

We are getting some tax advice for ourselves, but wondering if this is something my employer could do before I float them the idea. I don't really want to have to look for work in Singapore, if I could continue with the role I have now.
if you are on DP... you (and your employer) may not have to do anything. (or you may hire yourself under an LoC and pay local taxes?) don't quote me.

check out the business sub-forum. i think there are more than a few threads relevant to you there.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Spottyb

Post by Spottyb » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks taxico! I've been working full time since my kids were 2&5. They are now teens. I think I'd go a bit stir crazy as a stay at home mum.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 10:35 pm

Spottyb wrote:Thanks taxico! I've been working full time since my kids were 2&5. They are now teens. I think I'd go a bit stir crazy as a stay at home mum.
See my response in your other thread. Taxico is partially correct.