Singapore Expats

Mid-range housing options?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
chalkyboard

Mid-range housing options?

Post by chalkyboard » Tue, 07 Feb 2017 8:01 am

I apologize in advance for the newbie question.

I'm still very much in the early stages of relocating. My SO is an SC, and I'm a US citizen. If we were to get our own place, what are the mid-range housing options to own an apartment/condo before I hopefully someday become a PR?

HDB is not an option for a while, nor are executive condos.... And everything outside of those two categories seems to be very high-end/expensive. Unless I'm not looking in the right places?

When I say "mid-range", I'm thinking $400-600k SGD.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Mid-range housing options?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 07 Feb 2017 9:05 am

chalkyboard wrote:I apologize in advance for the newbie question.

I'm still very much in the early stages of relocating. My SO is an SC, and I'm a US citizen. If we were to get our own place, what are the mid-range housing options to own an apartment/condo before I hopefully someday become a PR?

HDB is not an option for a while, nor are executive condos.... And everything outside of those two categories seems to be very high-end/expensive. Unless I'm not looking in the right places?

When I say "mid-range", I'm thinking $400-600k SGD.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Look for 'apartments' (walk up - no lift, no stairs, no facilities) not condominiums. There are some smallers older ones in that price range. Also look in unpopular areas like Geylang (well it used to be, maybe not anymore). There are a few good search engines out there that can help. You have a useful advantage in that you can avoid ABSD as a US citizen (under the FTA with the USA unless it's Trumped) and your SO obviously as well. One other thing to watch is landed property - because your SO is Singaporean you are eligible for those and sometimes they can be cheaper than expected due to the restricted market of buyers. Jalan Wangi area used to have some cheap ones a few years back. There are a few cheap 'leasehold' properties for sale I have found just now (44 years left etc)- that may be an option for 5 years or so.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Mid-range housing options?

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 07 Feb 2017 12:02 pm

PNGMK wrote:Look for 'apartments' (walk up - no lift, no stairs, no facilities) not condominiums.
With no stairs, I assume that one rappels up and down from the balcony window each day???? :D

I purchased a washer from such a flat... it was five flights to steps down with washer in hand.

Made me think how much work it was to carry every last piece of furniture up five flights of stairs.

On the plus side, your HDB flat might get upgraded for lifts... on the minus side, your assessment will be significant.