Singapore Expats Forum

I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
okonu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon, 02 May 2016

Re: I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Postby okonu » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 1:27 pm

You don't need a residency visa to visit here. But you need a residency visa to rent a long term apartment here (unless is it a short stay apartment, e.g. Serviced Apartment/ airbnb or hotel room)

Also worth checking your tax situation if you stay here that long. SIN tax residency is if you spend >183 days here in a year, but looks as if you are splitting over two years so should be OK, but worth getting proper advise

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 1:48 pm

okonu wrote:..(unless is it a short stay apartment, e.g. Serviced Apartment/ airbnb or hotel room)....


But be warned that airbnb is illegal in Singapore and they may well start enforcing it in Private Housing and the law was passed last week. How closely it will be enforced is another question, though. Already enforced in HDB public housing.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 1:50 pm

okonu wrote: Or doesn't she trust you living alone in Pattaya? :)


I had a Filipino girl friend threaten to leave me if I took up a job offer in Thailand ;) That's the fear Pinays have re: Thais ...

never mind she left me Any way ;)

I suspect OP just wants to be with his girl friend ....

thailen
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue, 16 Feb 2016

Re: I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Postby thailen » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 2:22 pm

Please clarify. If I book a short-medium rental with an agency like AIRBNB, WIMDU, HomeAway and other agencies, it's a basically private contract. Who in the Singapore bureacracy would ever know? It appears to be done all the time, as my scan of various locations seems to show. At last count, I found 29 such businesses, not including those who offer service-apartments.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 2:54 pm

thailen wrote:Please clarify. If I book a short-medium rental with an agency like AIRBNB, WIMDU, HomeAway and other agencies, it's a basically private contract. Who in the Singapore bureacracy would ever know? It appears to be done all the time, as my scan of various locations seems to show. At last count, I found 29 such businesses, not including those who offer service-apartments.


Anything where the contract is less than 6 months is illegal in Singapore unless hotel or Services appartment.

Whether you can see such sites or not offering "private accommodation" is immaterial , its illegal end of story, the fact they offer such services doesn't negate this fact.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/short-term-rentals-of-private-property-illegal-but-govt-mulling/3496786.html

You ask a very good question ... Who would know?

That's the risk you take.... someone always has to be the first one caught out!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5404
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 3:20 pm

thailen wrote:Please clarify. If I book a short-medium rental with an agency like AIRBNB, WIMDU, HomeAway and other agencies, it's a basically private contract. Who in the Singapore bureacracy would ever know? It appears to be done all the time, as my scan of various locations seems to show. At last count, I found 29 such businesses, not including those who offer service-apartments.


Singapore is not free and easy going thailand. We recently had some officers come in and check a few units in our building for illegal short term tenants.

The best way to get around this is to stay "with a friend" who "you are not paying".
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
martincymru
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008
Location: out & about

Re: I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Postby martincymru » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 9:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
okonu wrote:..(unless is it a short stay apartment, e.g. Serviced Apartment/ airbnb or hotel room)....


But be warned that airbnb is illegal in Singapore and they may well start enforcing it in Private Housing and the law was passed last week. How closely it will be enforced is another question, though. Already enforced in HDB public housing.


Anyone out there a BnB Owner/Landlord? Care to share your thoughts?
6000 owners in Sg. are now in serious trouble...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 9:18 am

martincymru wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
okonu wrote:..(unless is it a short stay apartment, e.g. Serviced Apartment/ airbnb or hotel room)....


But be warned that airbnb is illegal in Singapore and they may well start enforcing it in Private Housing and the law was passed last week. How closely it will be enforced is another question, though. Already enforced in HDB public housing.


Anyone out there a BnB Owner/Landlord? Care to share your thoughts?
6000 owners in Sg. are now in serious trouble...


Just like the LGBT community, if the government wants to pursue it. The law is on the books. Flout it if you want to gamble. Private property shouldn't be a problem, fine only, but HDB could take your flat. That is worrisome to say the least.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5404
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 9:45 am

I agree on the HDB thing. It will be interesting to see where the first fines end up number wise...
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests