Singapore Expats Forum

Relocation expectations

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

LauraB

Relocation expectations

Postby LauraB » Mon, 07 Feb 2005 9:12 am

Hey

Am due to marry in 4 mths time & my fiance & I are increasingly wanting to try life in Singapore. We both currently work in the financial market - one of us global investments & the other pensions, how would we go about relocating. My fiance has just been offered a job with a bank in the UK that has offices in singapore - could we eventually ask for relocation through them?! Or is it something we could do ourselves. I have family (aunt & uncle & cousins) living in singapore just now (with a PR), so would this benefit us too?!

Also - we are both currently on between £17 & £18k each in the UK (which is around S$52k each) - how would this compare over in singapore?! Is it better pay over there or just conversions of the same salary?! Would it be livable for the 2 of us?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:26 pm

Get the job first (internal transfers are always the easiest way), then move to Singapore. The job market is picking up but you'd still be taking a massive risk if you just try your luck with no contacts here.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:04 pm

I would say if you get a job through your UK firm your salary may be same as in the UK. If your firm ask/need you in Singapore (generally more senior staff) your salary can be better than London.

I actually applied to companies in Singapore through a recruitment consultant but had to except a pay cut of around 30% - 40% doing an equilivant job here. But with very low taxes, transport, food, rent and everything else compared to London, I now eat out every day, go out when I want, travel when I want and still manage to save more GBP than I did at home.

One thing to note is working hours are very long even compared to London. 50 hours+ are the norm since i've been here, but I get to accrue it and take a couple of months holiday on our off season.

Postby Guest » Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:31 am

ringo100 wrote:I actually applied to companies in Singapore through a recruitment consultant but had to except a pay cut of around 30% - 40% doing an equilivant job here. But with very low taxes, transport, food, rent and everything else compared to London, I now eat out every day, go out when I want, travel when I want and still manage to save more GBP than I did at home.

Did you buy a car? :)

lhanson

ringo100 question

Postby lhanson » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:49 pm

What employment company would you recommend? Head hunter, etc? I am in the financial business as well however also looking into the hospitality industry